Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 20 Sep 2013 (Friday) 07:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

It's not about Photography...it's about God.

chevyzen
130 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2012

Sep 20, 2013 12:11 |  #31

hardly religious here, and I side with the priest as well. Most weddings I rarely even pay attention to the photographers. I know they're there. I see them, they are out in front taking pics a lot during the entrance and at various times throughout the ceremony. Big deal.

But you can become distracting. you're taking pictures, not trying to record every moment in time by busting thru every moment so you basically have a video file. More is not always better.

anyway, it was funny reading the comments under the article. Some claiming the priest just "ruined" their wedding. Well if that ruined it, they're in for a pretty short and bumpy ride together :) marriage is tougher than a tiny uncomfortable moment

sponsored links
dbeugel
523 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Sep 20, 2013 13:26 |  #32

The look of shock on the couples face was down the $2000 they had already paid for the JPEG's on a DVD

I own a DSLR, some lenses and some lights.

M_Six
Cream of the Crop
7,424 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 20, 2013 13:43 |  #33

dbeugel wrote in post #16312128 (external link)
The look of shock on the couples face was down the $2000 they had already paid for the JPEG's on a DVD

Rich :D:D

Mark J.
Gear

Motor ­ On
941 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Sep 20, 2013 14:14 |  #34

RTPVid wrote in post #16311902 (external link)
Obviously, you do not view a wedding as a religious rite. Fine, but many people do, including this priest. Many people view a wedding as a sacred ceremony, not merely a prelude to drunken toasts at the reception (and they are not all Christians, either).

The photographer in this story was an inconsiderate boor and not a professional in the way he conducted himself. That should have been the end of the story.

And you would be completely misrepresenting my beliefs. And how I view religious sacraments has no bearing on the unprofessional behavior in the video from both the photographer and the officiant.

Website (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link)

xhack
Goldmember
1,283 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Sep 20, 2013 14:39 |  #35

I shoot the occasional wedding. My dad was a Presbyterian minister: I am an atheist, but I know the etiquette.

In every instance, I've spoken to the priest / minister / registrar / humanist beforehand to check out the ground rules. I abide by any restrictions imposed.

In this instance, the clergyman has the right of it; if the bride and groom want a religious ceremony, there are four players - three humans and a deity :).
It's about respect.

~ Wallace
Gear List

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 20, 2013 15:12 |  #36

Motor On wrote in post #16312230 (external link)
And you would be completely misrepresenting my beliefs. And how I view religious sacraments has no bearing on the unprofessional behavior in the video from both the photographer and the officiant.

We can't judge the officiant from this video, we only see the last few seconds before he turns around and asks them to leave. We have no knowledge of what they had been doing up until that moment. They could have been causing more of a distraction before we start to see what is happening, possibly even talking to each other or getting in even closer than we saw there. I doubt it was simply a couple of bursts of shutter clicks that exasperated the priest so much, I get the impression that the irritation had been building and we joined it just as he reached the point where he had had enough.

It is not the officiants job to seek out the various photographers / videographers etc. and tell them what is allowed. It is for them to make themselves known, and ask permission to do something like shoot over the guys shoulder while he is conductiong a ceremony. I have shot many weddings and never once has an officiant come looking for me to tell me what I can and can't do. I have always had to go to them and ask.

joeblack2022
Goldmember
3,005 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Sep 20, 2013 15:31 |  #37

What I want to know is...

If the person is a legit videographer, why is this only the 3rd video on his / her YouTube channel?

Joel

Christopher ­ Steven ­ b
Goldmember
3,547 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 20, 2013 15:40 |  #38

I had to come back to say that this thread title has to be on my top ten of all time thread titles.

christopher steven b. - Ottawa Wedding Photographer

www.christopherstevenb​.com (external link)| Blog (external link)

mark48
914 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Sep 20, 2013 15:41 |  #39

xhack wrote in post #16312276 (external link)
In this instance, the clergyman has the right of it; if the bride and groom want a religious ceremony, there are four players - three humans and a deity :).
It's about respect.

I know that I quoted you out of context, Wallace, but you stated it very well, indeed -- "It's about respect".

flashpoint99
411 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Sep 20, 2013 16:00 |  #40

It was a power play. The Priest didnt like the noise of the cameras. Ok the photog may have been too close and distracting. However the Priest deciding to throw a small hissy fit threatening to stop the ceremony,he caused twice the distraction. obviously his actions made the b n g uncomfortable at their own wedding, Way to go!
The Priest could have easily walked up to the photog and spoke privately in his ear to back away. Nobody in the audience would have heard the conversation and he could have proceeded. However with the case in most circumstances where there is a perceived level of power the Priest decided he was gonna show everyone who was the boss.

RTPVid
Goldmember
3,365 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 20, 2013 16:31 |  #41

Motor On wrote in post #16312230 (external link)
And you would be completely misrepresenting my beliefs...

I'm sorry if I did, but I was only going by what you posted (the part I quoted). A religious wedding ceremony is NOT about the couple in front of God, at least many people do not believe their deity to be a mere observer in the ceremony. That's what I understood you to be saying.

Tom

Furlan
738 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Sep 20, 2013 16:42 |  #42

M_Six wrote in post #16311597 (external link)
I once shot pics with my loud 7D at a lecture and upset several people in the audience. The speaker gave me permission to shoot and was very happy that I did. She liked the images. But from now on I'll be very aware of the fact that camera noise just gets to some people. The 6D and 5D MkIII have excellent silent modes, so it shouldn't be too much of an issue any more. But if these guys were right in the priest's ears snapping away, I can see where he would be upset. And like others have said, some folks take their religion very seriously. You have to respect that. Some pre-ceremony discussion might have helped with this.

First time I shot my 7D on full burst mode for me it was like "holy crap" yes it is
loud!

Elfstop
THREAD ­ STARTER
720 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jun 2012

Sep 20, 2013 16:49 |  #43

Christopher Steven b wrote in post #16311909 (external link)
Link, please.

I'm an anti-theist and I'm siding with the priest here. Those dudes were out of line.

I believe they were out of line if they were Uncle Bobs...if they were hired by the B&G to shoot the wedding then they were in line.....If the Priest was getting paid, and I bet he was, even calling it a "donation" then he was out of line by ruining the ceremony. Who wants to see that later on a DVD? Granted this should have been worked out earlier and maybe it was. If a loud car was passing by would the priest have waited until it was gone? One of the problems may have been he was too old and had zero tolerance for photographers.

CanonCameraFan
Goldmember
1,675 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Sep 20, 2013 18:15 |  #44

One of the best compliments a photographer can receive while showing his finished work to his client is, "How did you get that, I never saw you?!"

Yes, it's about respect.

That was an awful lot of clicking noise when you know a Video is being made, just doesn't seem like a well orchestrated event.

EOS 7D w/BG-E7 (3), 550EX (3), 430EX II, Vivitar 285HV, Opteka 6.5mm/3.5, Canon EF-S 10-18/4.5-5.6 IS STM, Canon EF-S 24/2.8 STM, Canon EF 40/2.8 STM, Canon EF 100mm/2.0 USM, Canon EF 70-300mm/4-5.6 L IS USM, Canon 77mm 500D Macro, Tamrac 614 Bag & 787 Backpack, Crumpler 8 MDH, 7 MDH, 6 MDH
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/johnebersole/se​ts/ (external link)

cdiver2
Goldmember
1,032 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Sep 20, 2013 19:15 |  #45

Elfstop wrote in post #16312555 (external link)
I believe they were out of line if they were Uncle Bobs...if they were hired by the B&G to shoot the wedding then they were in line.....If the Priest was getting paid, and I bet he was, even calling it a "donation" then he was out of line by ruining the ceremony. Who wants to see that later on a DVD? Granted this should have been worked out earlier and maybe it was. If a loud car was passing by would the priest have waited until it was gone? One of the problems may have been he was too old and had zero tolerance for photographers.

Actually he is not being paid for the wedding the church gets the money. He gets a salary, same amount if it is one marriage or a hundred a year

sponsored links

6,635 views & 0 likes for this thread
It's not about Photography...it's about God.
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.