Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 20 Sep 2013 (Friday) 20:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Location shooting- how do you transport your stuff?

Wrench
628 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Sep 20, 2013 20:34 |  #1

If you're doing a location shoot and tanking things like light stands and reflectors, how do you carry your gear to avoid looking like this guy?

IMAGE: http://www.school-clipart.com/_small/0511-0710-1112-0654.jpg

Tony
-60D. Sigma 10-20 EX, Sigma17-50 f/2.8 EX, Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 EX, Canon 100mm macro f/2.8, Canon 50mm f/1.8.

sponsored links
malakite
677 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Sep 20, 2013 20:45 |  #2

Try to make sure I'm not dropping it!

But seriously, unless you've got help (a grip, etc) you can only carry so much with two arms. I'm doing my first on-location portrait this Sunday and tried to pack as light as possible. One camera bag, lightstand and a folded softbox. I'd like to bring my camera tripod, but deemed it not not necessary. Maybe have a briefcase on wheels for everything bar stand(s) maybe?

I own a magical box that captures light!
Flickr (external link)

Ltdave
Goldmember
3,344 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Sep 20, 2013 20:49 as a reply to  @ malakite's post |  #3

ive got a set of 33" umbrellas and medium duty lightstands that all pack in a canvas bag. my speedlites and PW set up, i carry in my camera bag...

i would like some bigger umbrellas (42" or better) but i think they would still fit in my case...

drvnbysound
Goldmember
3,316 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Sep 20, 2013 21:02 |  #4

I usually pack all of my camera gear (body, lenses, flashes, etc) in a backpack or shoulder bag (depending on what all I need to carry). For stands and modifiers I use Standbaggers.

I use manual exposure settings on the copy machine
..::Gear Listing::.. --==Feedback==--
...A few umbrella brackets I own...

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,081 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Sep 20, 2013 21:07 |  #5

I have several rolling camera cases that have cameras, lenses, lights, etc. I also have several grip bags that have light stands, modifiers and grip equipment in them. I have two carts, one two wheel and one 4 wheel.

Specific camera gear is put in the primary case based on job requirements. Other bags are selected based on what is needed for the job.

If its more than a small grip bag that can be balanced on the rolling camera case then one of the carts is used.

And I have a couple of Domke camera bags if I can get the camera gear slimmed way down.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,805 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Sep 20, 2013 22:36 |  #6

I bought a rectangular soft case for golf clubs, to put longer items like Lightform light panels, telescoping pole to hold backdrops, etc. that would not fit into a longer Bogen case (usually for longer tripod) which I also use for carrying lighting stuff. The shape makes it a bit easier to pile stuff only a 4-wheel cart to carry multiple items. Power packs and heads and cables, etc. all go into rectangular semihard cases, again making stacking easier. It still requires 2 (or maybe 3) trips to get it all inside or back to the car, if there is no one to assist.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

The ­ Loft ­ Studios
Goldmember
1,068 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 21, 2013 01:40 as a reply to  @ Wilt's post |  #7

If it's a big shoot, I go with the "standard" equipment you see posted below.....
All of this can fit in the back of my small 2 Door Explorer Sport SUV and still have room for a front seat passenger and 1 backseat passenger.

•Stand Bag #1
4-Heavy Duty 12' Avenger Stands
4-Compact 10' Light Stands
1-Manfrotto Neotec Tripod
•Stand Bag #2
1-6'x6' Scrim Jim
1-48" Photogenic Octadome
2-3'x4' PhotoFlex SoftBoxes
2-7' Westscott Parabolic Umbrellas
•Pelican 1610 Rolling Case #1
3-Canon Camera Bodies
4-580EXII Speedlites
4-Canon Battery Packs
2-Minolta Light Meters
An assortment of lenses depending on the shoot.....
An array of misc. equipment such as batteries, filters, tape, etc.....
•Pelican 1610 Rolling Case #2
4-Photogenic 1250DR Monolights
4-PCB Mini Lithium Battery Units
An array of misc. equipment such as batteries, filters, tape, etc.....
•Rolling Wagon
Along with all of the bags and cases that you see that actually fits in the wagon, I still have room for
4-Speedrings
2-Standard Photogenic 7" Reflectors
2-20lb. Sandbags
1-42" PhotoFlex 5n1 Pop-Out Reflector
A couple of extension Cords

Again, depending on the shoot, some equipment may be traded out for others such as when I want to bring either a small compact and/or a large size boom, etc.....

IMAGE: http://markmatthewsphotography.smugmug.com/Personal/OTS-Photo-Shoots/i-BfVVn3p/0/XL/IMG_1705-XL.jpg

IMAGE: http://markmatthewsphotography.smugmug.com/Personal/OTS-Photo-Shoots/i-jrpPPWh/0/XL/IMG_1706-XL.jpg

MARK

Wrench
THREAD ­ STARTER
628 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Sep 21, 2013 08:05 |  #8

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to go on the hunt for some sort of pull-along cart. I've got my camera ane lenses in a Pelican 1560 and need something on wheels that I can bungee the light stands to.

Tony
-60D. Sigma 10-20 EX, Sigma17-50 f/2.8 EX, Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 EX, Canon 100mm macro f/2.8, Canon 50mm f/1.8.

FrancoisM
31 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Sep 21, 2013 08:48 |  #9

What about this ?
http://www.rocknroller​cart.com/collections/m​ulti-carts (external link)

Francois.

Wrench wrote in post #16313657 (external link)
Thanks for the replies. I'm going to go on the hunt for some sort of pull-along cart. I've got my camera ane lenses in a Pelican 1560 and need something on wheels that I can bungee the light stands to.

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
19,435 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 21, 2013 09:16 |  #10

I shoot mostly single person. So my setup is Avenger A420 wheeled stand. When I get out my car, I put my 37" octa or the softbox with AB800 on the stand. Powered from VML. Grab a collapsible round reflector for the assistant to hold. And then just roll the thing.

I also have a foldable cart which is much lighter than the green wagon. Being handicapped it is easier for me to put it back in my car. I rarely use it now as wheeled light stands work.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

protege
135 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Sep 21, 2013 10:08 |  #11

My 4 13' light stands go into a light stand bag. My lights, diffusers, and accessories currently fit into a wheeled hockey bag made by Grit.

The ­ Loft ­ Studios
Goldmember
1,068 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 21, 2013 14:21 |  #12

I had one of those..... It's an excellent product, but my problem was on uneven terrain or on a bumpy sidewalk, my gear would start to slide off and fall onto the ground. So, I saw the garden cart at Home Depot and the wheels in my mind started turning, and I've never regretted the purchase!

MARK

aliengin
Goldmember
1,158 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Sep 23, 2013 08:29 |  #13

Dont have much to haul so a small cart is enough for me

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 403 | MIME changed to 'text/plain'

Ali Engin Photography (external link)

abbadon31
Goldmember
4,918 posts
Gallery: 260 photos
Best ofs: 10
Joined Jul 2009

Sep 23, 2013 12:05 |  #14

I use a car

I AM SHOM

Q-Man
Goldmember
1,043 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Sep 23, 2013 12:23 |  #15

abbadon31 wrote in post #16318687 (external link)
I use a car

Ha! Me too.

I do have various bags, backpacks, hard-cases, and a cart but it depends on the shoot. I go as light as possible, but I always bring anything I think I might need.

6D | 7D MkII | 16-35 f4L | 35 f1.2L II | 135 f2L | 180 f3.5L | 400 f5.6L
breathephoto (external link)

sponsored links

5,607 views & 0 likes for this thread
Location shooting- how do you transport your stuff?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.