Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 20 Sep 2013 (Friday) 01:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

A commentary on lens recommendation threads

gewb
690 posts
Gallery: 43 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Sep 20, 2013 14:19 |  #16

OK, well...

REPLY: blah, blah, blah

elleana wrote in post #16310997 (external link)
Well that's kinda embarassing. Note to self, follow own advice.

Welcome (again)!

The POTN members are 99.9% great people - nice to have you join!

I hope you join the fray and contribute, especiall about your Sigma! (Yes, I'm seroius.)

Regards,
GEWB

60D / Pro1 / A85

sponsored links
TheArchitect
326 posts
Joined May 2009

Sep 20, 2013 17:07 |  #17

k-lo wrote in post #16312180 (external link)
I'd rather get the opinions of POTN'ers about equipment than the camera store guy.

Me, too. It's a hell of a lot more useful in most cases.

Dooku
97 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Sep 20, 2013 18:33 as a reply to  @ TheArchitect's post |  #18

Looks like OP forgot to take his medicine today......or did not get the approval from his girlfriend to purchase the lens he wanted???? Don't worry, it will wear of by tomorrow.

silma
489 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Sep 21, 2013 01:23 as a reply to  @ Dooku's post |  #19

I enjoy "what lens" threads as I find that, most of the times, OP has a peculiar situation or need he wants to be discussed. What I don't like are answers given without listening to the question..."need a budget portrait lens" "get 85 f1.2, that's hard to beat"

my flickr (external link)

my dreamstime (external link)

davidfarina
Goldmember
3,357 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2013

Sep 21, 2013 06:38 |  #20

Why are you all diggin so deep?

Its a free community with very clear rules and if someone has a question why not?! It may be a very sprcific question and to all excuses, the search function returns sometimes as many posts as the whole community has so sometimes it just cant help.

I mean its not stackoverflow or whatever...

Sony A7RII | Sony A7S
EF 40 | EF 70-300L | FD 35 Tilt-Shift
FE 16-35 | FE 28 | FE 90
CV 15 4.5 III | CV 40 1.4 MC | Summilux 50 ASPH
Website (external link) | 500px (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,034 posts
Gallery: 142 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 21, 2013 11:00 |  #21

What is wrong with starting new threads that are basically the same as existing threads? I often see people scolded for starting a new thread when one already exists on the same topic. Why? I think that a continual stream of new threads helps to keep this forum going. Most people are more interested in new, fresh content, and are more likely to post their own thoughts & opinions to a new thread than to one that is old and stale.

It's not just about getting the right information - it is also about keeping this forum going, and the total number of hits is sure to be higher if people keep posting new threads, and responding to new threads. There is a reason why POTN is so extremely high on Google search results - it's because so much new content is being added every single hour. If people just read what was already here, not as much new content would be getting added, SEO would decline, POTN's total number of hits would decline, and then advertising revenue would decline. Personally, I want Pekka to make as much money off of this forum as he possibly can, so that he keeps investing in making this a superior site. And more threads will result in more hits, which will result in more $ for Pekka.

I can always just ignore the "lens recommendation" threads - no one is forcing me to click on them and read them. No one is forcing you to read them, either.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

hrblaine
284 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Sep 21, 2013 15:49 as a reply to  @ post 16312226 |  #22

I have a 35 f/2, a nifty fifty, a 17-55, 35-135 (50 bucks, special use), a 70-300 and a 70-200 f/4 is and I got 'em because I read reviews. The only "mistake" was that I probably should have got a better lens than the 35-135 altho it's fine for the specific purpose I got it, it's not real versatile. 99% of my shooting these days is outdoors. When I was shooting dance (obviously indoors, stage lighting), I shot a 35mm Nikon and an 85mm 1.8.

x_tan
Cream of the Crop
8,135 posts
Gallery: 137 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Sep 2010

Sep 21, 2013 17:10 |  #23

For the very same reason we should / shouldn't use google ;)

Canon 5D3 + Zoom (EF 17-40L, 24-105L & 28-300L, 100-400L II) & Prime (24L II, 85L II, 100L, 135L & 200 f/2.8L II; Zeiss 1,4/35)
Sony α7r + Zeiss 1,8/55 FE
Nikon Coolpix A; Nikon F3 & F100 + Zeiss 1,4/50
Retiring  (external link)

randybsc
Mostly Lurking
10 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Sep 21, 2013 17:16 |  #24

So which one is better, a 70-200 f2.8 or a 7-200 f4?

JK of course. Have a great weekend

sponsored links

2,620 views & 0 likes for this thread
A commentary on lens recommendation threads
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.