Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 20 Sep 2013 (Friday) 14:17
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Micro Four Thirds - Post discussions, questions, and images here!

Mookalafalas
Cream of the Crop
5,060 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Sep 21, 2013 10:49 |  #16

DarthVader wrote in post #16313897 (external link)
Heavy ?. How much heavier than the OM-D ?.

I don't think it's heavier than an OM-D, which I'm not sure I've even held. But compared to an Olympus Epl-5 with the Oly kit lens, say, it's got a lot of heft, and it dwarfs a GF3.

Call me Al Gear Flickr (external link)
You don’t have to have a great lens to take great pictures—but it sure helps. –Ben Long

sponsored links
darosk
Goldmember
2,806 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Sep 21, 2013 11:17 |  #17

The E-M1 (body only, including battery) is 70g/2.5oz heavier than E-M5. I remember looking it up a week ago.

Tumblr (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Youtube (external link)
Gear

DarthVader
Cream of the Crop
6,508 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Sep 21, 2013 12:08 |  #18

Mookalafalas wrote in post #16313945 (external link)
I don't think it's heavier than an OM-D, which I'm not sure I've even held. But compared to an Olympus Epl-5 with the Oly kit lens, say, it's got a lot of heft, and it dwarfs a GF3.

Ah OK, not bad then.

darosk wrote in post #16313979 (external link)
The E-M1 (body only, including battery) is 70g/2.5oz heavier than E-M5. I remember looking it up a week ago.

I've been thinking about GX7, very sleek design, Olympus could come up with their own version maybe after E-M1 :).

Nikon/Fuji.
Gear is important but skills are very important :)

TMaG82
Goldmember
1,012 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2008

Sep 21, 2013 12:50 |  #19

DarthVader wrote in post #16314083 (external link)
Ah OK, not bad then.

I've been thinking about GX7, very sleek design, Olympus could come up with their own version maybe after E-M1 :).

I thought about the GX7, placing preorders twice for them. Then I saw the E-M1 and realized that's the one for me. The rangefinder design sure is sleek, but after the x100s experiment didn't work out for me, I wanted the ergonomics of the E-M1.

I love the E-M5 but had some issues with it. Every single issue I had with it has been rectified in the E-M1 (bigger/brigter EVF, 1/4000 shutter, mushy buttons, etc)

Current Gear: Nadda

TMaG82
Goldmember
1,012 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2008

Sep 21, 2013 12:51 |  #20

Ah OK, not bad then.

Their version is the PEN line but without built in viewfinder. Sadly I don't see the PEN line getting a built in viewfinder, but will continue to rely on detachable ones.

Current Gear: Nadda

Billginthekeys
Billy the kid
7,359 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Sep 21, 2013 13:52 |  #21

I personally decided to hold out for the E-M1 because I don't like the looks of the manual controls for the GX-7; they don't look as substantial or solid as on the E-M1 or even E-M5, and I prefer to shoot in manual. Also, while I like the idea of the tilting viewfinder, I just can't get my head around the viewfinder being all the way to the right side of the camera. Are you supposed to use your left eye in it, or hold it away from your face on the right? I guess I need to try a rangefinder style camera, but viewfinder centered over the lens just makes more sense to me. I guess lastly I don't care about a pop-up flash. Pro's for the E-M1 for me were the larger grip, new focus system, weather sealing, and slightly faster FPS.

I am sure it is a great camera. Once they come up used if they get around the price of an E-M5 I might pick one up as a second body if I stick with m4/3rds longer this time.

Mr. the Kid.
Go Canes!
My Gallery (external link)My Gear
what the L. just go for it.

DarthVader
Cream of the Crop
6,508 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Sep 21, 2013 15:31 |  #22

TMaG82 wrote in post #16314189 (external link)
I love the E-M5 but had some issues with it. Every single issue I had with it has been rectified in the E-M1 (bigger/brigter EVF, 1/4000 shutter, mushy buttons, etc)

As far as E-M1, I wish they come with dual SD card slots.

TMaG82 wrote in post #16314191 (external link)
Their version is the PEN line but without built in viewfinder. Sadly I don't see the PEN line getting a built in viewfinder, but will continue to rely on detachable ones.

Well market will dictate, if GX7 sells well .. Olympus will blink PEN+built in VF :).

Billginthekeys wrote in post #16314302 (external link)
IAlso, while I like the idea of the tilting viewfinder, I just can't get my head around the viewfinder being all the way to the right side of the camera. Are you supposed to use your left eye in it, or hold it away from your face on the right?

Fair enough assessment.

I guess I need to try a rangefinder style camera, but viewfinder centered over the lens just makes more sense to me. I guess lastly I don't care about a pop-up flash. Pro's for the E-M1 for me were the larger grip, new focus system, weather sealing, and slightly faster FPS.

I am not a fan of the E-M5 and now E-M1 VF hump :), it's OK for me but I think that's one of the reasons I like GX7 design better.

Nikon/Fuji.

Mookalafalas
Cream of the Crop
5,060 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Sep 21, 2013 22:20 |  #23

while I like the idea of the tilting viewfinder, I just can't get my head around the viewfinder being all the way to the right side of the camera. Are you supposed to use your left eye in it, or hold it away from your face on the right?

I look through the right eye. It braces against my right cheek and the side of my nose. The lens is over on that side, too, so it isn't far from a ttl perspective. Doesn't feel strange to me, but I'm not very sensitive to stuff like that.

You don’t have to have a great lens to take great pictures—but it sure helps. –Ben Long

Yohan ­ Pamudji
Goldmember
2,994 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Sep 21, 2013 23:01 |  #24

Mookalafalas wrote in post #16313868 (external link)
I have bought and then sold my m4/3 gear four times, and just bought in again today. It seems to be a compulsion for me--and is my only one, I think (I'm generally very practical and rational).

"Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in." :lol: Glad to have you back in the fold.

Yohan ­ Pamudji
Goldmember
2,994 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Sep 21, 2013 23:05 |  #25

DarthVader wrote in post #16314477 (external link)
Well market will dictate, if GX7 sells well .. Olympus will blink PEN+built in VF :)

I hope Olympus don't base their decision on GX7 sales, because I want to see an Olympus with built-in EVF in a rangefinder style camera but don't think the GX7 will sell too well. Just a gut feeling. Panasonic don't seem to be as good at hyping up new products as Olympus, which is too bad because they make nice stuff. Something like the G6 with built in EVF for a lot cheaper than an E-M5 should be blowing the doors off the market but it's not.

Mookalafalas
Cream of the Crop
5,060 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Sep 22, 2013 06:47 |  #26

Yohan Pamudji wrote in post #16315229 (external link)
"Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in." :lol: Glad to have you back in the fold.

Thanks:D I'm having a blast shooting so far, but haven't seen the keeper rate. I reckon you'll soon know if I'm happy to be "back in the fold" or feeling like Charlie Brown tricked once again by Lucy with her football...

Billginthekeys
Billy the kid
7,359 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Sep 22, 2013 07:57 |  #27

Mookalafalas wrote in post #16315179 (external link)
I look through the right eye. It braces against my right cheek and the side of my nose. The lens is over on that side, too, so it isn't far from a ttl perspective. Doesn't feel strange to me, but I'm not very sensitive to stuff like that.

I am sure I am just being silly, but I really didn't know if people do as you mentioned or use their left eye. I have no idea if I would even find it unnatural, as I have never had a rangefinder style camera.

Mr. the Kid.
Go Canes!
My Gallery (external link)My Gear
what the L. just go for it.

Mookalafalas
Cream of the Crop
5,060 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Sep 22, 2013 09:08 |  #28

OK, today was a good day. I got quite a few shots I like a lot, and what's more, several I couldn't have gotten with my 5D. I mean, who takes a big DSLR to the store when shopping with the fam?

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7374/9874588485_0dfa357282_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …las-pixgalore/9874588485/  (external link)
Can't Do this in the USA.jpg (external link) by Mookalafalas (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5338/9874772835_de8574e00b_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …las-pixgalore/9874772835/  (external link)
20130922-P1040309-Edit-1 (external link) by Mookalafalas (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2857/9874822195_b69d8a3b00_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …las-pixgalore/9874822195/  (external link)
Remote Controlled Car (external link) by Mookalafalas (external link), on Flickr

Mookalafalas
Cream of the Crop
5,060 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Sep 22, 2013 09:23 |  #29

Billginthekeys wrote in post #16315814 (external link)
I am sure I am just being silly, but I really didn't know if people do as you mentioned or use their left eye. I have no idea if I would even find it unnatural, as I have never had a rangefinder style camera.

Sorry, I didn't see this response earlier. I've never used a rangefinder before either. I just now tried to shoot from my left eye, and I just can't do it, either with this or with my DSLR. It feels like writing left-handed...plus my nose is too big.

DarthVader
Cream of the Crop
6,508 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Sep 22, 2013 14:24 |  #30

In case you haven't seen this one:

http://www.43rumors.co​m …-thomas-dworzak/#comments (external link)

Nikon/Fuji.

sponsored links

13,244 views & 0 likes for this thread
Micro Four Thirds - Post discussions, questions, and images here!
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.