Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
Thread started 04 Sep 2013 (Wednesday) 12:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Adobe announces $9.99/mo for PS/LR Creative Cloud subscription

lovemyram4x4
Goldmember
2,198 posts
Gallery: 97 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Mar 2013

Sep 19, 2013 22:09 |  #61

digital paradise wrote in post #16310309 (external link)
I can't remember if this was discussed. Does this mean when CS6 goes to 7 and LR5 goes to 6 and so on subscribers get the new versions free? No hidden costs?

From what I gather CS6 has already gone to 7 (well actuall PS 13 to 14) but that's how I understand it, you automatically get any updates as long as you subscribe.

That's why I'm considering this new offer as PS 14 seem to have new features over even PS 13 I think I'd like to use.

Car2n wrote in post #16310431 (external link)
From their Terms page,
"After the first 12 months, we will automatically renew your contract based on the current price of the offering."

What exactly are they saying here?

That's why I don't believe what the guy told me on the live chat. What's written sounds like you're only locked into a price for the length of your contract(1yr) after that if it's let's say $19.99 that's you new payment for the next year unless you cancel. However he specifically said price will not change unless you cancel the contract.

sponsored links
drvnbysound
Goldmember
3,316 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Sep 19, 2013 22:10 |  #62

digital paradise wrote in post #16310309 (external link)
I can't remember if this was discussed. Does this mean when CS6 goes to 7 and LR5 goes to 6 and so on subscribers get the new versions free? No hidden costs?

There will be on CS7.

Subscribers to CC will always be upgraded (or have the option to upgrade; not exactly certain how that process works) to the latest version. That's precisely the purpose of the monthly fee for the 'service'.

EDIT: Here is a quote from the Adobe site regarding updates for subscribers to CC: "Waiting for new features is so 2012.The tools you have now just keep getting better, because every new feature we develop is included in your membership. You'll get the latest innovations in Photoshop CC, like all-new Smart Sharpen, Adobe Camera Raw 8, Content-Aware technology, and more. Plus new editing and organizing tools in Lightroom. You'll see a Creative Cloud notification when there's an update, and you choose when you're ready to download it."

I use manual exposure settings on the copy machine
..::Gear Listing::.. --==Feedback==--
...A few umbrella brackets I own...

drvnbysound
Goldmember
3,316 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Sep 19, 2013 22:18 |  #63

Regarding the price of the Photography Plan for CS3 and newer users, "Customers who sign up by December 31, 2013 will be able to continue their membership. This price is not a special introductory price for your first year only; it is the standard price for this level of membership. But if you cancel your membership in the future, you will not be able to re-join at this special price."

I've seen this posted in numerous places from Adobe representatives, but I found the above quote here: http://www.adobe.com …loud/faq.html#p​slr-bundle (external link)

drvnbysound
Goldmember
3,316 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Sep 19, 2013 22:47 |  #64

BTW: Photoshop CC is on version 14.1.1 as of last week...

http://blogs.adobe.com …update-now-available.html (external link)

smclaren
213 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Sep 20, 2013 00:45 as a reply to  @ post 16270920 |  #65

$9.99 said The Spider to the Fly

“Will you come into my cloud?” said the Spider to the Fly,
'Tis the prettiest little cloud that ever you did subscribe to;
The way into my cloud is a subscribe now button,
And I've a many curious things to shew when you are there.”

“Oh no, no,” said the little Fly, “to ask me is in vain,
For who ever pushes your subscribe now button
-can ne'er come back again.”

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 20, 2013 01:06 |  #66

PhotoMatte wrote in post #16294677 (external link)
This is obviously Adobe's reaction to losing a lot of potential income from those who have pirated versions of Photoshop. However, like always happens, someone is going to figure out a torrent for this new version and then Adobe will have to adapt to that, too...with a hefty price increase for those who are actually willing to buy their product.

While you use "obviously" in your statement, Adobe on their hand has said that the cloud isn't because of piracy. And even Adobe must realize that a change of licensing model doesn't change the availability of pirated software since there isn't any significant change to the programs installed on the computer.

The cloud licenses are there to remove the option of not upgrading existing licenses. I.e. to force everyone to become "active" customers.

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 20, 2013 01:12 |  #67

gslabbert5119 wrote in post #16306305 (external link)
Actually Adobe states that the $9.99 per month price is for a lifetime if you signup before 31December 2013

http://blogs.adobe.com …shop-photography-program/ (external link)

Direct quote from Adobe ..."To be clear, $9.99 is not an introductory price. It is the price for those of you who sign up by December 31, 2013."

That quote doesn't mean "for a lifetime".

You seen many companies offering lifetime prices for things? So a promise to be able to buy prints for the same price in 10 years as today? Or companies offering you to rent an apartment with the same cost in 10 years as today? Such offers are seriously bad for the company as they will lose their income to inflation - and companies doesn't like that.

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

Scooby_Doo
157 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Sep 20, 2013 01:26 |  #68

drvnbysound wrote in post #16310550 (external link)
Regarding the price of the Photography Plan for CS3 and newer users, "Customers who sign up by December 31, 2013 will be able to continue their membership. This price is not a special introductory price for your first year only; it is the standard price for this level of membership. But if you cancel your membership in the future, you will not be able to re-join at this special price."

I've seen this posted in numerous places from Adobe representatives, but I found the above quote here: http://www.adobe.com …loud/faq.html#p​slr-bundle (external link)

Read the terms: https://creative.adobe​.com …social12040064&​sdid=KIHZM (external link)

https://www.adobe.com …_photoshop_app_​offer.html (external link)
"Renewal
After the first 12 months, we will automatically renew your contract based on the current price of the offering."

Colorblinded
Goldmember
2,649 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2007

Sep 20, 2013 01:34 |  #69

PhotoMatte wrote in post #16294677 (external link)
This is obviously Adobe's reaction to losing a lot of potential income from those who have pirated versions of Photoshop. However, like always happens, someone is going to figure out a torrent for this new version and then Adobe will have to adapt to that, too...with a hefty price increase for those who are actually willing to buy their product.

No it's not, Adobe even admitted this wasn't done to mitigate piracy. The fact that it was pirated as soon after release as usual is also pretty good proof that they've done nothing to counter piracy even if you don't believe them.

This is just them finding a way to squeeze more money out of the paying customers while offering fairly laughable (for the most part) "cloud" benefits. The software is still installed locally, just as before. They're basically using the term cloud because it sounds cool and most people have no concept of what it really means.

http://www.colorblinde​dphoto.com (external link)
http://www.thecolorbli​ndphotographer.com (external link)

gcogger
Goldmember
2,554 posts
Joined Mar 2003

Sep 20, 2013 01:58 |  #70

Scooby_Doo wrote in post #16310849 (external link)
Read the terms: https://creative.adobe​.com …social12040064&​sdid=KIHZM (external link)

"Renewal
After the first 12 months, we will automatically renew your contract based on the current price of the offering."

I wonder what "based on the current price" means...

Graeme
My galleries (external link)

drvnbysound
Goldmember
3,316 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Sep 20, 2013 06:40 |  #71

Colorblinded wrote in post #16310862 (external link)
No it's not, Adobe even admitted this wasn't done to mitigate piracy. The fact that it was pirated as soon after release as usual is also pretty good proof that they've done nothing to counter piracy even if you don't believe them.

This is just them finding a way to squeeze more money out of the paying customers while offering fairly laughable (for the most part) "cloud" benefits. The software is still installed locally, just as before. They're basically using the term cloud because it sounds cool and most people have no concept of what it really means.

... but it comes with cloud storage! ;)

VBclick
52 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Sep 21, 2013 08:16 |  #72

Even at this price point it's still too much for me. I only use Photoshop (don't care about Lightroom or cloud space). I upgrade every 2 years and pay $170 (after 15% discount), now it will cost me $240 for 2 years. That's 60 bucks more!

weeatmice
763 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 21, 2013 14:43 |  #73

smclaren wrote in post #16310787 (external link)
$9.99 said The Spider to the Fly

Got that right.

FS: UK: 1D Mark IV.
Twopixel.co.uk (external link) | 500px (external link) | flickr (external link) | Twitter (external link) | Pinterest (external link) |

weeatmice
763 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 21, 2013 14:48 |  #74

Scooby_Doo wrote in post #16310849 (external link)

"Renewal

My only concern with this is if they can lock you into another year at a new price if you don't cancel. If they must change the price, I would want to reconsider the cost at that point and shouldn't be tied into another year until I agree the new price. The wording is subjective IMO.

Though of course, it will always be difficult going back to the old version. I think they know that, with no new standalone versions on the horizon this seems a way to get people to give in and sign up.

Twopixel.co.uk (external link) | 500px (external link) | flickr (external link) | Twitter (external link) | Pinterest (external link) |

weeatmice
763 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 21, 2013 14:50 |  #75

gcogger wrote in post #16310886 (external link)
I wonder what "based on the current price" means...

Exactly, 'current price' now. Or the 'current price' at the time of renewal? I dont think its clear.

sponsored links

13,057 views & 0 likes for this thread
Adobe announces $9.99/mo for PS/LR Creative Cloud subscription
FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.