Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 20 Sep 2013 (Friday) 13:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

$100K reward for UFO photo

MikeFairbanks
Cream of the Crop
6,428 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Sep 22, 2013 12:57 |  #61

That's a good point. I'll re-think my terminology.

Ok, so the conversation isn't silly.

Ignoring science is silly, however. Here's what I mean. If someone claims that they are sure we are visited by other beings, then ask them simple questions and see if they can answer them.

1. How many stars are in our solar system? (You'll be shocked to find a variety of answers when the real answer is one).

2. Ask them the name of our galaxy. Then ask them to define a galaxy.

3. Ask them how far the closest star is to our planet, followed by the next star. One is 93 million miles. The other is 4.3 light years.

4. Ask them the name of the star closest to our planet (I hope they say The Sun, because otherwise they didn't pass elementary school science).

5. Ask them what a light year is, an Astronomical unit, the speed of light, and the distance/name to the galaxy nearest to ours.

Until they can answer simple, basic-level questions about astronomy, then they aren't even ready for a conversation about whether we are being visited by aliens. It isn't fair for them to cop-out by saying, "well, they have advanced technologies." They need to first know the limits our our own technologies and what is known in physics.

The reason so many people thought the earth was flat when Columbus sailed wasn't due to it being common knowledge. It was due to illiteracy and lack of education. Christopher Columbus certainly never claimed the earth was flat, and neither did Isabella's advisers. Columbus had to lie to his men about how far they traveled each day because they were illiterate and had to believe whatever they were told.

And to Pekka: you wrote the following as a response to me: "Arrogant to think that someone in Harvard is more worthy to study and interact with than a farmer in Iowa."

I very much disagree. It's not arrogant to say that someone with a college education knows more than someone without one. Sure, there are exceptions to the rule, but educated people are definitely worthy of study in comparison to someone who doesn't have the same level of education.

There are those who will say, "Just because you went to college doesn't make you smarter."

They think that because they didn't go to college.

Yes, college actually does make you smarter. Again, there are exceptions to every rule, but education is critical for a society to function. Of course the world needs someone to sweep the floor, but without educated people we don't get cool software that can help us fake UFO photos. ;)

Thank you. bw!

sponsored links
WaltA
Goldmember
3,871 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Sep 22, 2013 13:03 |  #62

MikeFairbanks wrote in post #16316467 (external link)
There are those who will say, "Just because you went to college doesn't make you smarter."

They think that because they didn't go to college.

Yes, college actually does make you smarter. ....... .

Wow - whole other thread. :(

Walt
400D, 5D, 7D and a bag of stuff

MikeFairbanks
Cream of the Crop
6,428 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Sep 22, 2013 13:06 |  #63

WaltA wrote in post #16316454 (external link)
Other people don't think so. Just don't look at this thread - rather than minimizing (and making fun of) other peoples opinions.

But that's precisely what alien-visitation believers say about non-believers. Go back through the thread and look at how often non-believers are called close-minded when the opposite is usually true.

Hey, I would love to know that there's life out there. I believe there probably is, but I'm expecting proof before I say something like, "I know we've been visited."

Nobody...not one person on this planet knows we've been visited because there's no proof. None.

Seriously, the only thing we have are stories and blurry pictures. That's it.

Now, I'll tell you something interesting: There are long, scaly monsters in wet areas in Florida. They are fifteen feet long, can creep out of the swamps at night and carry people off in the darkness. They are man-eaters.

THAT can be proven. Not just stories. Real photographs, documented evidence, and dissected monsters with human parts inside their digestive systems. It's a proven fact that alligators occasionally attack and eat people.

And about education: It makes you smarter because you learn more. Stressing the importance of education isn't arrogant.

Denying the importance of education is arrogant and ignorant. And it's also dangerous.

Thank you. bw!

1Tanker
Goldmember
4,470 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Sep 22, 2013 13:08 as a reply to  @ MikeFairbanks's post |  #64

LOL.. Gotta say, Mike makes the most valid points in this thread. :D

Kel
Gear

WaltA
Goldmember
3,871 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Sep 22, 2013 13:11 |  #65

1Tanker wrote in post #16316489 (external link)
LOL.. Gotta say, Mike makes the most valid points in this thread. :D

But he invalidates his argument by insisting that any opinion other than his is a result of a lack of education.

Walt

Footbag
391 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Sep 22, 2013 13:18 |  #66

I think it is very likely there is life somewhere in the universe. That is almost a certainty.

I don't believe that little green men have visited us to terrorize certain people, conspire with governments and prod out cattle. That is very unlikely, and more a product of movie plots then actual evidence.

The funny thing is that we have the camera technology to record aliens and their crafts, yet all UFO videos are blurry and ambiguous. So either the aliens crafts have the capability to blur our cameras just enough to make it seem like everything is working, or some peoples minds are taking the blurry images and constructing them into what they believe they are.

A few months ago, I looked up in the sky and saw an odd object. Since I had my camera nearby, I photographed it. It turned out to be a foil dinosaur balloon. To anyone without a camera and zoom lens, it was a UFO. Think about all of the campfire stories this may have led to. Hundreds of people may have seen this UFO. But, to me, this wasn't a UFO it was a balloon.

Adam
My Astrophoto Gallery (external link)
The Astro Imaging Channel (external link)

breal101
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,724 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 22, 2013 13:53 |  #67

MikeFairbanks wrote in post #16316485 (external link)
But that's precisely what alien-visitation believers say about non-believers. Go back through the thread and look at how often non-believers are called close-minded when the opposite is usually true.

Hey, I would love to know that there's life out there. I believe there probably is, but I'm expecting proof before I say something like, "I know we've been visited."

Nobody...not one person on this planet knows we've been visited because there's no proof. None.

Seriously, the only thing we have are stories and blurry pictures. That's it.

Now, I'll tell you something interesting: There are long, scaly monsters in wet areas in Florida. They are fifteen feet long, can creep out of the swamps at night and carry people off in the darkness. They are man-eaters.

THAT can be proven. Not just stories. Real photographs, documented evidence, and dissected monsters with human parts inside their digestive systems. It's a proven fact that alligators occasionally attack and eat people.

And about education: It makes you smarter because you learn more. Stressing the importance of education isn't arrogant.

Denying the importance of education is arrogant and ignorant. And it's also dangerous.

Take your own advice, educate yourself on this subject. Every UFO photo is blurry? How many have you actually seen to make this assessment?

One thing I've noticed is that the people with the strongest opinions on UFOs are often the ones who have done little or no research.

Admit it Mike you're just sore because Pekka gave you a spanking.

"Try to go out empty and let your images fill you up." Jay Maisel

MikeFairbanks
Cream of the Crop
6,428 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Sep 22, 2013 13:54 |  #68

WaltA wrote in post #16316494 (external link)
But he invalidates his argument by insisting that any opinion other than his is a result of a lack of education.

Not exactly.

What I'm saying is that someone who is extremely educated and knowledgeable in the field of astronomy has a lot more credibility when engaging in the discussion of alien visitation.

I'm not saying, by any means, that a person with a college degree is more intelligent than someone without one. Intelligence is one's ability to learn, and most people believe intelligence to be genetic (although that's now in question as well).

What I'm saying is that it's silly (yes, silly) to enter into a debate on aliens and UFOs without having a solid foundation in astronomy and physics if you are expecting to be taken seriously.

It's like watching the NFL. I find myself behaving as an armchair quarterback or armchair coach quite often. I say, "that was a stupid play. What was the coach thinking?"

But I know darn well that if I were in a room with a bunch of NFL coaches I'd be the fool of the day if I started in on proper coaching technique. They would immediately and rightfully question my credibility.

Until I prove to them that I know what I'm talking about, I shouldn't get offended when they tell me I am full of it.

Applying that metaphor, if you will, to the discussion of aliens makes it perfectly fair for someone with an extensive background in science and physics to claim more credibility in the conversation.

In other words: What do the experts say about all this? What are the top astronomers and physicists saying about aliens and UFOs? They are the ones who will have the most to say and the ones we should listen to the most.

Conjecture is way too easy.

Thank you. bw!

MikeFairbanks
Cream of the Crop
6,428 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Sep 22, 2013 13:56 |  #69

breal101 wrote in post #16316555 (external link)
Admit it Mike you're just sore because Pekka gave you a spanking.

Spanking? If that was his objective then that's a separate argument.

What he didn't give is any proof that aliens have visited this planet.

Where's the proof.

For you believers: Please post the evidence.

Thank you. bw!

onona
511 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Sep 22, 2013 13:58 |  #70

breal101 wrote in post #16313075 (external link)
If you could provide that I'm sure it would be worth a lot more than $100K. They did say that they could get more money for better evidence. ;)

But really, your answer is so typical from people who have been brainwashed by the mainstream media giggle factor attack on a very serious subject. It isn't surprising, just a little depressing that people are so afraid to discuss in an intelligent way what might be the most important story of our lifetime. The fact that we are not alone.

Hahahahaha.

I don't think anyone rational truly disputes the idea of us not being alone in the universe. The idea, however, that we are being regularly visited by other beings is absurd.

Leigh
I shoot concerts and stuff. (external link)

onona
511 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Sep 22, 2013 14:00 |  #71

breal101 wrote in post #16313485 (external link)
There is overwhelming evidence that material craft displaying intelligent control and technology far beyond anything yet developed on earth have been detected in our atmosphere.

Really? Where is this overwhelming evidence?

Websites with pictures of eyes above pyramids, run by people who believe in chemtrails don't count.

Leigh
I shoot concerts and stuff. (external link)

WaltA
Goldmember
3,871 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Sep 22, 2013 14:00 |  #72

MikeFairbanks wrote in post #16316559 (external link)

What I'm saying is that it's silly (yes, silly) to enter into a debate on aliens and UFOs without having a solid foundation in astronomy and physics if you are expecting to be taken seriously.

Come on - its a photography forum. Not many rocket scientists here. (although there are a few brain surgeons).

I am a aviation systems architect in the aerospace industry.
Close but no cigar.

Walt

WaltA
Goldmember
3,871 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Sep 22, 2013 14:03 |  #73

onona wrote in post #16316571 (external link)
Really? Where is this overwhelming evidence?

Websites with pictures of eyes above pyramids, run by people who believe in chemtrails don't count.

The only difference between the truth and a lie is the number of people who believe it.

(Not sure who said that - maybe Alfred E Newman).

Walt

MikeFairbanks
Cream of the Crop
6,428 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Sep 22, 2013 14:04 |  #74

I'm going to prove that there are monsters with large teeth that live in the waterways of America. There are people in Alaska who have lived in Alaska their entire lives. They might not believe that there are huge monsters with large teeth in America's waterways that can (and sometimes do) eat human beings.

Here's the proof, a picture I took a couple years ago.

IMAGE: http://fairbanksfamily.smugmug.com/Animals/Wildlife/i-q6F4qT2/0/L/gator-L.jpg

Next, I can go to Jamaica and tell the children that there are furry beasts larger than a human that can not only outrun a human but can break its neck and tear it apart in seconds. These animals are dangerous and they are real. They really exist. Most of the time these beasts won't bother people, but occasionally they will kill them, just like that (snap my fingers).

This I can also prove:

IMAGE: http://fairbanksfamily.smugmug.com/Animals/Wildlife/i-prDj6tQ/0/L/Lioness-L.jpg

So, Someone follow up with a real photo of an alien visitor.

Thank you. bw!

WaltA
Goldmember
3,871 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Sep 22, 2013 14:08 |  #75

^ Mike - thats not proof that

a) they have large teeth
b) they live in America
c) they eat people.
d) there are still some alive

EDIT: I posted this when there was only one photo posted.

Walt

sponsored links

38,044 views & 0 likes for this thread
$100K reward for UFO photo
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.