Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 20 Sep 2013 (Friday) 13:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

$100K reward for UFO photo

onona
511 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Sep 22, 2013 14:08 |  #76

MikeFairbanks wrote in post #16316485 (external link)
But that's precisely what alien-visitation believers say about non-believers. Go back through the thread and look at how often non-believers are called close-minded when the opposite is usually true.

Hey, I would love to know that there's life out there. I believe there probably is, but I'm expecting proof before I say something like, "I know we've been visited."

Nobody...not one person on this planet knows we've been visited because there's no proof. None.

Seriously, the only thing we have are stories and blurry pictures. That's it.

Now, I'll tell you something interesting: There are long, scaly monsters in wet areas in Florida. They are fifteen feet long, can creep out of the swamps at night and carry people off in the darkness. They are man-eaters.

THAT can be proven. Not just stories. Real photographs, documented evidence, and dissected monsters with human parts inside their digestive systems. It's a proven fact that alligators occasionally attack and eat people.

And about education: It makes you smarter because you learn more. Stressing the importance of education isn't arrogant.

Denying the importance of education is arrogant and ignorant. And it's also dangerous.

I totally agree with this and your other posts. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence; blurry photos and claims from people are simply not good enough. Is there other life out there in the universe? Probably. Almost definitely. But with so much space out there, the chance of other life having visited us, or continuing to visit us, is simply far fetched, especially when you start looking at the actual figures with regards to distances. Even the briefest of glances over literature on the Fermi paradox provides enough of an outline to get your head around it.

Leigh
I shoot concerts and stuff. (external link)

sponsored links
breal101
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,724 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 22, 2013 14:11 |  #77

MikeFairbanks wrote in post #16316563 (external link)
Spanking? If that was his objective then that's a separate argument.

What he didn't give is any proof that aliens have visited this planet.

Where's the proof.

For you believers: Please post the evidence.

Have you ever heard of J. Allen Hyneck? If not look him up.

"Ridicule is not part of the scientific method, and people should not be taught that it is. The steady flow of reports, often made in concert by reliable observers, raises questions of scientific obligation and responsibility. Is there ... any residue that is worthy of scientific attention? Or, if there isn't, does not an obligation exist to say so to the public—not in words of open ridicule but seriously, to keep faith with the trust the public places in science and scientists?" J. Allen Hyneck

"Try to go out empty and let your images fill you up." Jay Maisel

Footbag
391 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Sep 22, 2013 14:12 |  #78

breal101 wrote in post #16316555 (external link)
Every UFO photo is blurry? How many have you actually seen to make this assessment?

There are thousands of blurry photos online of UFO's. There are absolutely zero confirmed photographs of alien spacecraft. I would love to see a non-blurry photo of a confirmed alien craft. In fact, there's a production company offering $100,000 for one. Given the figure, I'd have to assume they are either rare or non-existent.

Adam
My Astrophoto Gallery (external link)
The Astro Imaging Channel (external link)

WaltA
Goldmember
3,871 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Sep 22, 2013 14:17 |  #79

Footbag wrote in post #16316597 (external link)
There are thousands of blurry photos online of UFO's. There are absolutely zero confirmed photographs of alien spacecraft. I would love to see a non-blurry photo of a confirmed alien craft. In fact, there's a production company offering $100,000 for one. Given the figure, I'd have to assume they are either rare or non-existent.

Thats what this thread is about. Check out Post #1

Walt
400D, 5D, 7D and a bag of stuff

Footbag
391 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Sep 22, 2013 14:21 |  #80

WaltA wrote in post #16316607 (external link)
Thats what this thread is about.

If I have to explain it, it's not funny. ;)

Adam

WaltA
Goldmember
3,871 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Sep 22, 2013 14:23 |  #81

Footbag wrote in post #16316613 (external link)
If I have to explain it, it's not funny. ;)

Yeah, sarcasm and humor are sometimes misunderstood here - especially if smileys are not included.:confused:

Walt

breal101
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,724 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 22, 2013 14:24 |  #82

onona wrote in post #16316585 (external link)
I totally agree with this and your other posts. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence; blurry photos and claims from people are simply not good enough. Is there other life out there in the universe? Probably. Almost definitely. But with so much space out there, the chance of other life having visited us, or continuing to visit us, is simply far fetched, especially when you start looking at the actual figures with regards to distances. Even the briefest of glances over literature on the Fermi paradox provides enough of an outline to get your head around it.

Another person with strong opinions without one iota of research? Since Mike refused to answer I'll ask you how many UFO pictures have you seen? Certainly all of them ever taken to come to your conclusion.

breal101
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,724 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 22, 2013 14:28 |  #83

Footbag wrote in post #16316597 (external link)

They're looking for previously unpublished photos. Those must be rare.

MikeFairbanks
Cream of the Crop
6,428 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Sep 22, 2013 14:33 |  #84

WaltA wrote in post #16316583 (external link)
^ Mike - thats not proof that

a) they have large teeth
b) they live in America
c) they eat people.
d) there are still some alive

EDIT: I posted this when there was only one photo posted.

It's better proof than the alien claimers present.

I can also take the Jamaican children to Africa or the zoo and show them the lions, or bring the people from Alaska to Florida or a zoo to see the alligators.

I suppose I'd have more luck getting people to believe me about the monsters in the waterways of America if I showed them this:

IMAGE: http://fairbanksfamily.smugmug.com/Animals/Wildlife/i-mTCPvn8/0/L/monster-L.jpg

Thank you. bw!

iowajim
518 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Sep 22, 2013 14:35 |  #85

MikeFairbanks wrote in post #16316634 (external link)
It's better proof that the alien claimers present.

I can also take the Jamaican children to Africa or the zoo and show them the lions, or bring the people from Alaska to Florida or a zoo to see the alligators.

I suppose I'd have more luck getting people to believe me about the monsters in the waterways of America if I showed them this:

QUOTED IMAGE

I'm convinced! And congratulations on being the fastest man in the world!

Jim, in Iowa
80D / T2i / Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 / Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 / Canon 24-105 f4 / Tamron SP VC 70-200mm f2.8 / Sigma 150-600mm C

Footbag
391 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Sep 22, 2013 14:39 |  #86

breal101 wrote in post #16316620 (external link)
Another person with strong opinions without one iota of research? Since Mike refused to answer I'll ask you how many UFO pictures have you seen? Certainly all of them ever taken to come to your conclusion.

How do you know he didn't do any research? Perhaps he saw all of the same information you did and came to a different conclusion.

Personally, I love conspiracy shows, but I still shake my head in disbelief when they come to their conclusions.

Adam

Footbag
391 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Sep 22, 2013 14:41 |  #87

breal101 wrote in post #16316628 (external link)
They're looking for previously unpublished photos. Those must be rare.

As are confirmed published photos, of which there are none.

Adam

MikeFairbanks
Cream of the Crop
6,428 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Sep 22, 2013 14:47 |  #88

Okay, just a few minutes ago I took a picture of this FO. I call it a FO because I actually was able to figure out what it was.

To you it's a UFO, because you probably can't identify it.

I tried to make it easier to see by converting to black and white and adding noise through the filter effects in Adobe Photoshop. I hope that helps.

Let's see who is the first one to actually identify this flying object (and, yes, it really was flying when I took the photo. Some might say I threw it, but they can't prove it).

Any guesses?

IMAGE: http://fairbanksfamily.smugmug.com/Other/Machines-of-all-Kinds/i-25dmBCG/0/S/UFO-S.jpg

Thank you. bw!

WaltA
Goldmember
3,871 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Sep 22, 2013 14:47 |  #89

MikeFairbanks wrote in post #16316634 (external link)
It's better proof than the alien claimers present.

Thats pretty funny Mike. :)

But my point (which you avoided) was that 1 picture is not proof of anything other than the fact that someone took a picture.

So (back to the discussion of this thread) even a well-focused picture of a flying object that could not be identified does not really prove a lot.

Walt

Pekka
El General Moderator
18,125 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Mar 2001

Sep 22, 2013 14:57 |  #90

MikeFairbanks wrote in post #16316467 (external link)
That's a good point. I'll re-think my terminology.

Ok, so the conversation isn't silly.

Ignoring science is silly, however. Here's what I mean. If someone claims that they are sure we are visited by other beings, then ask them simple questions and see if they can answer them.

1. How many stars are in our solar system? (You'll be shocked to find a variety of answers when the real answer is one).

2. Ask them the name of our galaxy. Then ask them to define a galaxy.

3. Ask them how far the closest star is to our planet, followed by the next star. One is 93 million miles. The other is 4.3 light years.

4. Ask them the name of the star closest to our planet (I hope they say The Sun, because otherwise they didn't pass elementary school science).

5. Ask them what a light year is, an Astronomical unit, the speed of light, and the distance/name to the galaxy nearest to ours.

Until they can answer simple, basic-level questions about astronomy, then they aren't even ready for a conversation about whether we are being visited by aliens. It isn't fair for them to cop-out by saying, "well, they have advanced technologies." They need to first know the limits our our own technologies and what is known in physics.

I do not think anyone ignores science. Science is constantly eveolving and changing, though.

How would today's Mike answer those simple questions after 500 years of developement, as all you know is basically result of last 100 years of science. Or, go 500 years back and there was no Higgs Bosom, there were no curved space theories or E=MC2, there was no way to know speed of light or diameter of galaxy. Still they are there and existed that time, too. 500 years ago you would not have believed for one second people can communicate between different continents or cities instantly, we have flying machines, you can buy tickets to moon trips, we have weapons that can destroy cities, we have devices in our pockets that know answer to any question and can tell us where to go if we are lost.

I seriously question ability to discuss alien existence if person has nothing else than this year's astronomy facts book to work with. There are sociological, historical, cultural aspects crossing all sciences from biology to astronomy, that makes so fun to think and talk about these things.

And to Pekka: you wrote the following as a response to me: "Arrogant to think that someone in Harvard is more worthy to study and interact with than a farmer in Iowa."

I very much disagree. It's not arrogant to say that someone with a college education knows more than someone without one.

Worthy was not correlated to level of education or "knowledge". Worthy as human, that was my point. Lets assume some other race has means to come here, they surely would not be interested in first 100 numbers of Pi or equations or scientific theories of any kind, to get here would mean far more advanced science and knowledge. They would be interested in what makes us tick, how we view the world, think and live. In that context Harward or Cern background does not matter at all. Education is of course good, that is another discussion.

The Forum Boss, El General Moderator
AMASS 2.1 Changelog (installed here now)

sponsored links

38,043 views & 0 likes for this thread
$100K reward for UFO photo
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.