Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support 
Thread started 20 Sep 2013 (Friday) 09:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Induro CT214 Review

drumsfield
Goldmember
1,600 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 20, 2013 09:06 |  #1

http://www.indurogear.​com …ies-8x-tripods-ct214.aspx (external link)

A while ago I searched these forums for a review of this tripod and couldn't find any. I have since bought one and received it so here is my review of base on my initial observations and first use on a nature hike with my daughter. I will be updating this with pictures and possibly a follow up.

First before I begin a brief overview on what led me to choose this tripod. Before buying this tripos my current setup was a Gitzo 1542T Traveler. While it provided me with the lightweight compact setup I desired I felt the need for a little more bulk and stability while still maintaining a compact form and relatively light weight. My search had led me in the direction of the Gitzo 2542T. While searching online the sticker price of the Gitzo is what set me looking for alternatives. One of which was the CT214. At $300 (The price at BH when I bought it. It has since risen to $400) it was less than half the price of the Gitzo which is currently listed at BH for $879. At that price it was a no brainer to go with the Induro. After reading some of the feedback on the BHPhoto site (which was overwhelmingly positive) my only lingering question was how would the build quality compare to my Gitzo?

So here’s my take on the Induro Carbon CT214. Much of this review is going to comparing the Induro to my Gitzo 1542T.

Unboxing:
The Induro CT214 out of the box comes in a heavy duty travel bag with spikes and some tools. I had to pay an extra $70 for my Gitzo travel bag which is nicer than the one from Induro but not by a lot.

Initial Observations:
-The Induro’s legs have a foam grip for added protection and cold weather which is nice
-The Induro is only slightly longer than the Gitzo 1542T
-The Induro is only slightly Slightly Heavier than the Gitzo 1542T
-The carbon fiber legs on the Induro seem to be as well made as the Gitzo. Having been in the mountain bike scene and seeing all the different types of carbon fiber material out there it seems to be up near the top in terms of build quality.

Out of the box the tripod looked and felt like I expected. Heavier and slightly longer than the 1542T it looked it would do the job of adding a bit more stability to my tripod. On initial observation the build quality seemed to be on par with the Gitzo. Nothing about the tripod looked or felt cheap.

After a few minutes getting to know the tripod (ie. opening it up, expanding the legs, unscrewing the center column ect..) I notice a few things.

Other observations:
-The locking mechanism for the legs is not spring loaded.
-When expanding and collapsing the legs I can hear/feel air going into the legs like a billow.
-The hardware that connects the center column head base and weight holder is not as nice or refined as the Gitzo.

3 to be exact.
The first thing I noticed was that the leg locking mechanism (the thing that lets the legs fold up or down) was not spring loaded like the Gitzo (or many other tripods) This isn’t a biggie but it’s one that I think shouldn’t be ignored. To activate the lever you pull a button out which in turn enables the legs to fold up higher and enables the tripod to get lower to the ground. The problem with not having spring activation is that if one carelessly forgets to put the button to the correct setting it is possible to have the legs collapse on you by accident.
The second thing I noticed was the when expanding and collapsing the legs I could hear and feel air going into the leg chambers. This is something I didn’t experience with the Gitzo. It could be that it’s because the Gitzo is a smaller tripod with narrower legs. The problem with this is that this could suck dust, dirt and other debris into the legs and maybe down the road cause something to break.
Lastly the hardware that connects the center column pieces together were not as nice a Gitzo. This is really nitpicking more than anything else. But this was something I noticed when I unscrewed the head base and the weight holder. The spring on the weight holder seemed to be sticky and harder to pull down than the Gitzo. The Gitzo was always as smooth as butter. Also the head base come apart in 3 pieces as opposed to 1 piece from Gitzo. There was the base plate, the tripod head screw and a metal cap that went over the center column. The Gitzo has the base plate and screw integrated as one piece and the metal cap integrated into the center column.

First use:
I attached my Acratech GV2 (an amazing tripod head btw highly recommended) to the Induro which was a perfect fit and took the tripod out on a hike with my daughter. With me I had my 5D MKIII and 100-400. We hiked for almost and hour and I took a few shots with the 100-400 and the Induro tripod. The tripod performed as expected it was very stable and as light as I expected. The Induro CT214 has noticeably better stability than the 1542T (as expected) and is a dream to carry. I had no issues at all while using it.

Final Thoughts:
-Good Value
-Well Made
-Performs as expected
-Few minor issues

My conclusion from using the Induro is mostly positive. While it’s not as perfect as I would have liked it serves it’s purpose well and at a great price point. It I were to pick a perfectly made tripod I would have to say it’s hard to beat a Gitzo (Except their customer service which is absolutely trash…which is another topic open for discussion here: Gitzo Customer Service). But for the money the Induro offers a great value at $300 (what I paid at the time from BHPhoto) One other added benefit of the Induro is that I won’t have to worry as much if I somehow damage it while traveling or have it stolen. I could always buy a replacement and still be under what I would have paid for a Gitzo.

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7434/10129907776_9554df88a3_c.jpg
IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7302/10129948733_34d57ee11b_c.jpg
IMAGE: http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5348/10129818705_f427177367_c.jpg
IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7403/10129966643_969943e463_c.jpg
IMAGE: http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2883/10129746334_b03c6bb071_c.jpg
IMAGE: http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2851/10129961463_bdba1395bd_c.jpg

Canon 5D MkIII | Olympus OM-D | Olympus E-P2 | 16-35L MKII | 24-70L MKII | 70-200L MKII | 85L MKII | EF 50mm 1.4 | EF 100mm 2.8 | 100-400mm L MKII | 20mm 1.7
Feedback and Full gear list
Website (external link)

sponsored links
farmer1957
901 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Sep 20, 2013 09:16 |  #2

Induro tri pods

I own a induro 413 tripod . I like it.

Farmer

Mark-B
Goldmember
2,248 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Sep 21, 2013 11:57 |  #3

drumsfield wrote in post #16311428 (external link)
The second thing I noticed was the when expanding and collapsing the legs I could hear and feel air going into the leg chambers. This is something I didn’t experience with the Gitzo. It could be that it’s because the Gitzo is a smaller tripod with narrower legs. The problem with this is that this could suck dust, dirt and other debris into the legs and maybe down the road cause something to break.

If you ever shoot with the tripod in water deep enough to have the leg locks submerged, the tubes will fill with water. When you collapse them, the compressed air forces the water to shoot out of the end like a water gun. It's a nice effect.

If you are shooting in environments where there is enough dirt, dust, and debris to break your tripod, then you should be disassembling and cleaning it anyway. Very easy to do with the Induro.

Mark-B
msbphoto.comexternal link

mnphotos
757 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Aug 2012

Sep 21, 2013 13:19 |  #4

I have the Induro CT213 and really like it a lot.

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Sep 22, 2013 08:17 |  #5

drumsfield wrote in post #16311428 (external link)

When you change the length of the tripod legs air is going to get sucked in or squeezed out - because nature really abhors them vacuum things. I guess the reason the air makes more noise with the Induro is that the leg sections fit together so well that only a small gap remains between them. If other tripods have larger gaps then the moving air will be quieter - but dust and debris will find it easier to get through the gaps.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

Richard ­ N
125 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Sep 22, 2013 17:43 |  #6

I recently bought the CT314 and absolutely love it!

I don't think the spring loaded mechanism for the leg lock is an issue. For me I see this as comparable to forgetting to tighten ones camera to tripod mount when setting up. Additionally the looser fit of the leg lock that allows for a spring also allows for easier involuntary movement. The Induro lock is firm and not likely to move unless intended too do so.

I feel there is a point of diminishing returns when it comes to photo gear, this is an especially pronounced point with tripods IMO. Sure you might get a marginal improvement with one brand versus another but when the premium is a doubling or more of the price... I'll take the savings every time.

flickr (external link) - (Coming Soon)
My Gear List
Marketplace Feedback

drumsfield
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,600 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 02, 2013 07:25 |  #7

hollis_f wrote in post #16315858 (external link)
When you change the length of the tripod legs air is going to get sucked in or squeezed out - because nature really abhors them vacuum things. I guess the reason the air makes more noise with the Induro is that the leg sections fit together so well that only a small gap remains between them. If other tripods have larger gaps then the moving air will be quieter - but dust and debris will find it easier to get through the gaps.

Thanks for the insite. The tripod is working great and despite my initial thoughts regarding some of the minor issues I haven't really noticed them being a problem as of yet. I am still trying to find time to post up some shots.

Canon 5D MkIII | Olympus OM-D | Olympus E-P2 | 16-35L MKII | 24-70L MKII | 70-200L MKII | 85L MKII | EF 50mm 1.4 | EF 100mm 2.8 | 100-400mm L MKII | 20mm 1.7
Website (external link)

caoko
260 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Oct 03, 2013 15:41 |  #8

can't wait for the pictures.

drumsfield
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,600 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 06, 2013 21:14 |  #9

Updated with pictures

Website (external link)

eastwa
20 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jan 19, 2014 11:12 |  #10

Still liking the Induro legs?
I am considering the CT313 before the sale ends at the end of the month.

700D

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jan 19, 2014 11:33 |  #11

eastwa wrote in post #16618365 (external link)
Still liking the Induro legs?
I am considering the CT313 before the sale ends at the end of the month.

Still reckon my CT313 is the best tripod I've owned.

Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.

CallumRD1
427 posts
Gallery: 22 photos
Joined Sep 2012

Jan 19, 2014 12:10 as a reply to  @ hollis_f's post |  #12

I love my AT213, I just wish that I could afford to make it a CT213!

Canon EOS R | EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM • RF 35mm f/1.8 IS Macro • RF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM • EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM • Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM

eastwa
20 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jan 19, 2014 12:32 |  #13

hollis_f wrote in post #16618418 (external link)
Still reckon my CT313 is the best tripod I've owned.

How long have you owned yours?
Any issues, regrets?

700D

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jan 19, 2014 13:17 |  #14

eastwa wrote in post #16618579 (external link)
How long have you owned yours?
Any issues, regrets?

I've had it for three years and one week. No regrets at all, especially when I'm shooting astro stuff, with the LCD at a steep angle that would be impossible to see if it were on a short tripod.

eastwa
20 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jan 19, 2014 13:36 |  #15

hollis_f wrote in post #16618665 (external link)
I've had it for three years and one week. No regrets at all, especially when I'm shooting astro stuff, with the LCD at a steep angle that would be impossible to see if it were on a short tripod.

Frank, thank you for the replies.
Trying to buy a tripod through the mail is a real pain in the a**, all I have for a photo store is Walmart.
Signing off to go watch our version of football :D

700D

sponsored links

9,069 views & 1 like for this thread
Induro CT214 Review
FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.