Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 16 Sep 2013 (Monday) 20:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Anyone Into Medium Format? Bought a Mamiya

flowrider
Goldmember
3,606 posts
Gallery: 127 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Dec 2009

Sep 21, 2013 13:53 |  #16

Great buy! I had one back in the day and loved it. If you find that it fires inconsistently sometimes the back needs to be in near perfect alignment with the body because a pin passes from the body to the back.

~Steve~
~ My Website-stevelowephoto.com (external link) ~ Facebook (external link)
Feedback Feedback Feedback

sponsored links
DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Sep 21, 2013 23:08 |  #17

I tried, but I keep coming back to 35mm. I heart grain.

National Sarcasm Society. Like we need your support.

taemo
Goldmember
1,243 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Sep 22, 2013 03:30 |  #18

still shooting B&W with my 500cm from time to time.
used to have a P6x7 but had to let it go, also had the pleasure of shooting with my friends 645NII and RB67

I found the mamiya too big to use daily, my favourite would have to be either the P6x7 with prism finder for a SLR feel, the 500cm for a waist level camera that is not overly too big.
the 645NII was also a pleasure to shoot too because it had AF

once I have more disposable income I'm definitely buying another P67 w/ 105 2.4 and also promised my buddy that I would buy his 645NII + 150 2.8 lens

earldieta.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - tumblr (external link) - gear/feedback
the spirit is willing but the body is sore and squishy
4 digital cameras | 14 film cameras

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Sep 22, 2013 10:16 |  #19
bannedPermanent ban

Colorado CJ wrote in post #16314114 (external link)
I received the RB67 Pro S Friday. Yesterday I spent a few hours cleaning all the old light seals off the camera and film back and replaced them. Still can't believe how cheap I got this camera for.

Looking through the waist level finder is incredible! So 3D looking, it is hard to not just walk around looking through the finder.

RB76-Pro-S-1 (external link) by Colorado CJ (external link), on Flickr

RB76-Pro-S-2 (external link) by Colorado CJ (external link), on Flickr

Now, get a strap and to shoot hand held with it.
http://www.adorama.com …OLm47al37kCFYWe​4AodsEAATQ (external link)

I shoot with a RZ instead. Slightly lighter, but not a lot. Single action film winding would both wind the film and cock the shutter. Considering getting a shutter release cable if you are shooting with low shutter speed and slower film. And on a tripod too. I am so used to the left-right flip on the viewfinder that I would move the same shooting with my point and shoot...hehehehe. :)

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

justinz850
330 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Sep 22, 2013 10:24 |  #20

I have been wanting a MF film camera for awhile and my debit card hates me for my visit to B+H this last week! I ended up getting a clean RZ67ProII with a couple of lenses, I hope to get out and shoot a roll of B&W film in the coming days to see how it works! The second I looked down through the waist level finder I was hooked lol.

Canon 5D3
Leica M
Rolleiflex 3.5f

Tiller
523 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Sep 22, 2013 18:25 |  #21

That is one hell of a deal for a Mamiya rb67!

Canon 60D|Tamron 90mm 52B|Canon 50 1.8|Canon 85 1.8|Yongnuo YN-568ex|Manfrotto 055XProb with 498RC2|Fuji AX Multi Program with 50 1.9 and 135 2.8|Mamiya 645 Pro with 85 2.5|

Colorado ­ CJ
THREAD ­ STARTER
703 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Sep 22, 2013 19:08 |  #22

Just got back from running two rolls of film through the RB67. I went hiking up into the Snowy's, roughly 11,500 ft. I hiked only 5 miles, but I brought my full digital photography bag (~35 lbs, I can never leave anything behind :rolleyes:) and the RB67 on a tripod.

Since I hike with a lot of gear (a lot of weight) all the time, I really didn't feel the difference lugging the RB67 around. It balanced on my shoulder, mounted to the tripod, just fine, much like my D600 and a heavy lens.

I should have all my chemicals tomorrow, so I'll get to develop the rolls. The only problem right now is, I don't have a negative scanner. I do have a flatbed scanner, but it isn't set up to scan negatives. I am planning on getting a V700 within a week or two.

I am going to have to find some cheaper film, or sell some other gear though. I can tell already that I am going to LOVE shooting medium format, even before developing the first rolls. It is a very different form of photography and feels like it will fit real well with how I go about shooting.

My Photography Website
http://andrewmarjamaph​otography.com (external link)

taemo
Goldmember
1,243 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Sep 23, 2013 09:50 |  #23

damn that's hardcore!
5miles hike with a bag full of camera gear and RB67 on a tripod on your shoulder!

glad that you enjoyed shooting with the RB67 though and can't wait to see the results!

for landscape though, I hope that eventually you're planning on shooting velvia

earldieta.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - tumblr (external link) - gear/feedback

kf095
Out buying Wheaties
6,802 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Sep 23, 2013 10:43 |  #24

Colorado CJ wrote in post #16317095 (external link)
I am going to have to find some cheaper film, or sell some other gear though. I can tell already that I am going to LOVE shooting medium format, even before developing the first rolls.

Shanghai gp3 100 pan film on ebay. Not so bad film at all.

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7430/9722149954_370eb60986_z.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/kf095/972214995​4/  (external link)
Untitled (external link) by Ko.Fe. (external link), on Flickr

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Sep 23, 2013 10:52 as a reply to  @ kf095's post |  #25
bannedPermanent ban

Less than $5 per roll.

http://www.adorama.com​/KKTMY120PPU.html (external link)

Facebook (external link)

BrianS
412 posts
Joined May 2006

Sep 23, 2013 13:02 as a reply to  @ TooManyShots's post |  #26

Haven't tried T-MAX 400 but I use TRI-X all the time, both 120 and 35mm. Is there a significant difference between the two?

Canon 5D3, Leica M6, Fujifilm x100 & Olympus E-M5 | Walkabout Street (external link)

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Sep 23, 2013 13:10 |  #27
bannedPermanent ban

BrianS wrote in post #16318840 (external link)
Haven't tried T-MAX 400 but I use TRI-X all the time, both 120 and 35mm. Is there a significant difference between the two?

I don't know the technical difference between the two but with Tmax, it is generally lower grain and it has certain digital look....using the right developer like the HC110 and a bit of noise reductions in PP.

http://www.oneimagingp​hotography.com …Z/0/X2/damaged2​000-X2.jpg (external link)

http://www.oneimagingp​hotography.com …Zk/0/X2/nathan1​500-X2.jpg (external link)

Facebook (external link)

iamascientist
680 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Sep 23, 2013 13:11 |  #28

taemo wrote in post #16318344 (external link)
for landscape though, I hope that eventually you're planning on shooting velvia

He said he was looking for cheaper film, the cost of velvia plus the processing probably makes it the most expensive film to shot by a large margin.

For landscapes, ektar is a great affordable film if you want vivid colors. Portra 160 is great also with a bit more natural colors, I shoot 400 but thats because I mostly shoot handheld. For B&W theres so many options to get the look you want when you consider film/chemical combos and developing procedure.

For B&W I shoot tri-x now because I like 400 speed films but fuji acros is great for 100 speed, you don't have to worry about reciprocity failure unless your exposures are longer then 2 minutes. ilford pan f 50 is great but requires exposure adjustment after only a couple seconds if I remember correctly. If I was shooting only landscapes my B&W film would be acros, the tones are incredibly smooth and rich, develops great in good old rodinal.

BrianS
412 posts
Joined May 2006

Sep 23, 2013 13:54 |  #29

TooManyShots wrote in post #16318862 (external link)
I don't know the technical difference between the two but with Tmax, it is generally lower grain and it has certain digital look....using the right developer like the HC110 and a bit of noise reductions in PP.

Nice shots, do you scan from negative or print and then scan?

Canon 5D3, Leica M6, Fujifilm x100 & Olympus E-M5 | Walkabout Street (external link)

taemo
Goldmember
1,243 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Sep 23, 2013 14:01 |  #30

iamascientist wrote in post #16318866 (external link)
He said he was looking for cheaper film, the cost of velvia plus the processing probably makes it the most expensive film to shot by a large margin.

For landscapes, ektar is a great affordable film if you want vivid colors. Portra 160 is great also with a bit more natural colors, I shoot 400 but thats because I mostly shoot handheld. For B&W theres so many options to get the look you want when you consider film/chemical combos and developing procedure.

For B&W I shoot tri-x now because I like 400 speed films but fuji acros is great for 100 speed, you don't have to worry about reciprocity failure unless your exposures are longer then 2 minutes. ilford pan f 50 is great but requires exposure adjustment after only a couple seconds if I remember correctly. If I was shooting only landscapes my B&W film would be acros, the tones are incredibly smooth and rich, develops great in good old rodinal.

i'm aware that Velvia is expensive which is why I did not tell him to buy it right away right away, he's just burning through inexpensive film right now to explore the camera but eventually I hope he considers slides.

sponsored links

8,645 views & 0 likes for this thread
Anyone Into Medium Format? Bought a Mamiya
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.