Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 23 Sep 2013 (Monday) 11:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Newport Beach

Puckman
Cream of the Crop
6,311 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Sep 2013

Sep 23, 2013 11:10 |  #1

C&C please...Time of day dictated some of the subjects/framing (no sunset/sunrise here). I'm most interested in whether these feel/look oversaturated or ok.

Spent a few hours around Newport Beach yesterday:

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

IMG_3886 (external link) by Puckman2012 (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

IMG_3851 (external link) by Puckman2012 (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMG_3848 (external link) by Puckman2012 (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMG_3829 (external link) by Puckman2012 (external link), on Flickr

Sony A7RII and a bunch of lenses.

sponsored links
nittaya
122 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Sep 23, 2013 15:45 |  #2

beautiful vibrant colors and good post processing.

Tmz_99
238 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2013

Sep 23, 2013 20:11 |  #3

The angle of the second photo is interesting, what were you on? a parasail or something?

---------------
www.tommorozphotograph​y.com (external link)
my deviantart (external link)

Puckman
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,311 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Sep 23, 2013 23:23 |  #4

Nope. Standing on the pier.

No critique so far?

Puckman
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,311 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Sep 24, 2013 11:05 |  #5

Not much feedback, you guys! I'd really like to hear some.

tmoore323
Goldmember
1,945 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Sep 24, 2013 12:13 |  #6

I'd clone the guy out of 3848, but other then that I like them...

Puckman
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,311 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Sep 24, 2013 12:14 |  #7

I was wondering if anyone was gonna point out the guy. I personally like him in there. Gives the shot a whole "man running away from the vastness of the ocean" vibe and a sense of scale. But I agree, he's not the best representation of what I wanted there.

sirquack
Goldmember
2,590 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2013

Sep 24, 2013 12:22 |  #8

I like #1 better than #2. In the second there really isn't a subject to focus on. The skies were kind of boring and there weren't enough people to have people on the beach. Maybe a little more clarity to kill the haze leading up to the mountains. But I like the wave shots. Agree with cloning out the dude as he just isn't that interesting in that pose.

Name is Ron.
Bodies - 6D/5D3/7D2-Gripped
Lenses - Canon 17-40 F4/24-70 F2.8 II/85 F1.8/Canon 70-200 F2.8 II/F4/Sigma 30 DC/Tamron 150-600
Website (external link)
Flickr (external link)

ejenner
Goldmember
3,860 posts
Gallery: 96 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Sep 24, 2013 15:26 as a reply to  @ sirquack's post |  #9

I'm surprised someone hasn't said over-saturated, not because I think they are, but there is always someone who will say that unless the shot is B&W.

The level of saturation is good IMO. Seriously, scenes like that in reality are really quite saturated and you shouldn't de-saturate just because of some internet forum obsession with over-saturation.

In the first one although the sea and leaves are quite saturated, the beach is so-so and they are contrasted by the not over-saturated sky and buildings.

The others look realistic to me.

OTOH, I did just see a way over-saturated shot.

Edward Jenner
5DIV, M6, GX1 II, Sig15mm FE, 16-35 F4,TS-E 17, TS-E 24, 35 f2 IS, M11-22, M18-150 ,24-105, T45 1.8VC, 70-200 f4 IS, 70-200 2.8 vII, Sig 85 1.4, 100L, 135L, 400DOII.
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/48305795@N03/ (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/edward.jenner.372/p​hotos (external link)

Puckman
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,311 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Sep 24, 2013 16:15 |  #10

#1 is my least favorite of the bunch. I feel like it looks more like one of those souvenir shop postcards of California (not in a good way).

I'm not too concerned about whether the internet thinks I'm oversaturating or not :)
Mostly, the request for feedback is because I am new to this, and haven't yet figured out how to process my landscape shots and have been trying different things.
I don't want my landscapes to look "fake". Some people like that. I personally prefer a more realistic view, while at the same time, realizing that realistic often means a bit more flat, colorwise (Specially in midday sun). So it's an exercise in finding that right balance of adding just enough color to still be realistic, but not look as flat. I think that's where I was coming from with these photos and this request for critique. Did I overdo it? Dial it back a hair? Or is it fine.
Sounds like the consensus is that maybe I can dial it back just a hair.

Bianchi
Cream of the Crop
6,410 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jan 2010

Sep 24, 2013 22:29 as a reply to  @ Puckman's post |  #11

Some definition to clouds and the hills a bit, and cropped on bottom just a tad.

I like your #1 the best, I would crop top and bottom some, and add more definition to clouds..

IMAGE: http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3824/9927076424_10048aa992_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/settntrenz/9927​076424/  (external link)
9890485555_32dfcd146a_​b-2 (external link) by Sett N trenZ (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3805/9927289413_1c914f13bf_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/settntrenz/9927​289413/  (external link)
9890485555_32dfcd146a_​b-3 (external link) by Sett N trenZ (external link), on Flickr

My Gear flickr (external link)

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
14,029 posts
Gallery: 205 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 25, 2013 00:12 as a reply to  @ Bianchi's post |  #12

I think if you shoot too much of the shoreline, it can look too cluttered and if you shoot towards the water too much, it can look uninteresting. You might try splitting the difference and shoot more straight down the beach with water on one side and only the more cluttered shoreline further away.

Here's a quick edit where I opened up the shadows on your second image to show more of the midtone details. I also played with the colors a little.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Gene - My Photo Gallery || (external link) My USS Oriskany website (external link) || My Flickr (external link)
Take nothing but photos - leave nothing but footprints - break nothing but silence - kill nothing but time.

Puckman
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,311 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Sep 25, 2013 11:08 |  #13

Thanks navydoc and bianchi for the edits. Interesting.
Mind you, i'm new to the PP game and only currently use Lightroom (no Photoshop).
I'm curious how you both went about doing what you did. Specifically the "opening up the shadows" portion navydoc mentions there. How do you bring out the midtones without overdoing the PP overall?

Same question for bianchi. What did you do to "add definition to the clouds and hills"?

Thanks.

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
14,029 posts
Gallery: 205 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 25, 2013 12:16 as a reply to  @ Puckman's post |  #14

If you have Lightroom 4 +, you will have a shadows and highlights slider. Just move the shadows slider to the right a bit and that will make the shadowed areas lighter. Just be careful not to overdo it because a lot of noise can be introduced into those lightened areas.

For my edits, I use CS6 which has a raw converter with the same sliders as Lightroom. I also use two of my favorite plugins, Nik Color Efex Pro 4 and Topaz.

Gene - My Photo Gallery || (external link) My USS Oriskany website (external link) || My Flickr (external link)
Take nothing but photos - leave nothing but footprints - break nothing but silence - kill nothing but time.

Puckman
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,311 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Sep 25, 2013 12:27 |  #15

Ah ok. So this was just some LR shadow/highlight adjustment? I do use that. I assumed you had done something different. Thanks!

sponsored links

1,789 views & 0 likes for this thread
Newport Beach
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.