Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 23 Sep 2013 (Monday) 00:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Focused or ready to focus?

mmahmood
167 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Sep 23, 2013 00:10 |  #1

Hi,

i shoot with 600D with 18-135mm, my query is when camera beeps and has selected the focusing point in view finder what does it mean

1) either a focusing has been achieved on a specific focusing point or
2) only a focusing point have been selected and camera/lens is yet to focus that point for me?

me kinda confused on this one looking at the images that came out

sponsored links
apersson850
Cream of the Crop
12,071 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 23, 2013 01:43 |  #2

It means the camera has focused. But it sounds like you are using all focus points, i.e. you let the camera decide where to focus, and then of course the result may not be the one you intended. Select a single point and use that instead, to see if it improves.

Anders

mmahmood
THREAD ­ STARTER
167 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Sep 23, 2013 02:04 |  #3

apersson850 wrote in post #16317685 (external link)
It means the camera has focused. But it sounds like you are using all focus points, i.e. you let the camera decide where to focus, and then of course the result may not be the one you intended. Select a single point and use that instead, to see if it improves.

i have experimented on both settings, here is what is happening with me, lets suppose i had single point selected the moment beep comes i goes with full press of shutter and image came out out of focus, and when beep comes and i wait like a seccond and then take picture it turns out good. and if if i concentrate in view finder it sure does takes that one second or so to get image focused n this is very obvious on single focus point selected,

mmahmood
THREAD ­ STARTER
167 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Sep 24, 2013 05:03 |  #4

no one !!!!

NewCreation
Goldmember
3,214 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2013

Sep 24, 2013 05:10 |  #5

You may be getting camera shake and by waiting you are slightly changing your technique.

My name is Brenda ~Saved by grace, walking by faith
http://brendahoffmanph​otography.com (external link)
Facebook (external link)

mmahmood
THREAD ­ STARTER
167 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Sep 24, 2013 05:18 |  #6

NewCreation wrote in post #16320685 (external link)
You may be getting camera shake and by waiting you are slightly changing your technique.

i will check on camera shake, but i suppose that scenario i presented is something new, or never reported with 600D+18-135mm combo

mak65
331 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 24, 2013 06:24 |  #7

What shutter speeds are you using? Though it wouldn't explain why one is in focus and the other not. Unless your delay is somehow allowing you to be a bit steadier. Is anything in focus on the picture that doesn't meet your expectations?

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
55,302 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 24, 2013 06:42 |  #8

Post a sample with exif info intact. There are many reasons for a OOF picture some caused by user error and some caused by equipment error. Choose a picture that clearly shows the problem.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

mmahmood
THREAD ­ STARTER
167 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Sep 24, 2013 07:12 |  #9

i will post pictures with EXIF intact, i guess that will open up grounds to discuss

mmahmood
THREAD ­ STARTER
167 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Sep 24, 2013 13:18 |  #10

ok here we go with the pictures,i have noticed that the picture in focus has 3 points in focus and other one just 1, here this might be the case but let me dig into the previous pictures and look for case as i have mentioned.

first out of focus picture

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

IMG_1 (external link) by muhammad mahmood (external link), on Flickr

now the one in focus
IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

IMG_2 (external link) by muhammad mahmood (external link), on Flickr

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,573 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined Dec 2005

Sep 24, 2013 13:28 |  #11

The second image certainly looks sharper than the first, but it also looks like it is more correctly exposed. The first picture looks like it is at least 1-stop overexposed which will give it a softer, less sharp OOF appearance. I am guessing that either your metering might have shifted, resulting in the overexposed shot.

I don't have an EXIF viewer with me right now: what were your shutter speed, aperture and ISO settings?

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITE (external link)- MY GALLERIES (external link)- MY BLOG (external link)
Artists Archives of the Western Reserve (external link) - Board

Lbsimon
...never exercised in my life
2,682 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Sep 24, 2013 14:38 |  #12

There is no EXIF. What was the shutter speed?

5D Mark IV | 6D | S110
EF 17-40L | EF 24-105L (two) | EF 70-200L F4 IS | EF 100-400L II | EF 85 1.8 | EF 50 1.8 STM | Canon 1.4x III | Canon 1.4x II
Yongnuo 685 | Nissin Di622 M2 | Nissin Di422

NewCreation
Goldmember
3,214 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Jan 2013

Sep 24, 2013 14:41 |  #13

The exif shows on flickr
1. 1/640 3.5 iso 100
2. 1/1000 3.5 iso 100

My name is Brenda ~Saved by grace, walking by faith
http://brendahoffmanph​otography.com (external link)
Facebook (external link)

icacphotography
612 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Sep 24, 2013 14:45 |  #14

Looking at what you posted of the EXIF it looks like the main issue is the the fact the lens was wide open and the camera overexposed. so that doesn't necessarily mean it's OOF but given it's overexposed and such it gives that optical illusion. The second one is exposed correctly and appears much sharper. I think it's the fact the metering must have shifted that or it was choosing a different focus point and was able to lock more easily.

Body:50D gripped Magic Lantern'd
Lenses:50mm 1.8,40mm 2.8,28-105 USM II,70-210 F4, 1962 Asahi Pentax Super Takumar 55mm 1.8
Flash: Canon 430 EX
The camera is just a tool - it is not responsible for the picture.

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,573 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined Dec 2005

Sep 24, 2013 14:53 |  #15

NewCreation wrote in post #16321983 (external link)
The exif shows on flickr
1. 1/640 3.5 iso 100
2. 1/1000 3.5 iso 100

Thanks for posting that Brenda - much appreciated ;). That shows that there was almost a full stop in exposure difference between the two images. The blown out highlights will reduce apparent sharpness, saturation, contrast and detail in those areas giving the appearance of an OOF image.

Mmahmood, you just need to refine your metering technique better for a more accurate reading and your pictures should greatly improve. Do you recall what metering mode you were using and which areas of the scene you metered?

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITE (external link)- MY GALLERIES (external link)- MY BLOG (external link)
Artists Archives of the Western Reserve (external link) - Board

sponsored links

1,921 views & 0 likes for this thread
Focused or ready to focus?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.