Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 24 Sep 2013 (Tuesday) 07:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Opinion on an infrared conversion

grumpy366
461 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Sep 24, 2013 07:57 |  #1

Need some opinions on said topic. I purchased a 6D in March and absolutely love the camera. I have become extremely infatuated with some black and white infrared images I've been seeing. That being said, I have two additional bodies lying around but am having a hard time deciding which to convert. I have a T2i with a 18-135 and the Sigma 10-20 or a 5d classic. I'm torn on which one to convert. Another option I have is to buy a buddies Sony A-100 and have that converted. He isn't asking too much for it, just trying to get rid of it. The only benefit I see with that is I could load up on some old Minolta lenses on the cheap. What do you guys think? Any comments or opinions would be appreciated.

| 6D Gripped | 5D Classic Gripped | T2i Gripped-IR Converted | 60D Gripped | 18-135mm 3.5-5.6 | 70-200mm F4 L| 16-35 mm F4 L|EF 100mm Macro 2.8 |Tamron 28-75mm 2.8| Sigma 150-600mm C |Samyang 14mm 2.8 |Manfrotto 190CXPro |
flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)
Website (external link)

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
9,340 posts
Joined May 2003

Sep 24, 2013 09:12 |  #2

Start here...https://photography-on-the.net …hp?t=1309383&hi​ghlight=ir.

NWPhil
440 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Sep 24, 2013 09:58 as a reply to  @ John from PA's post |  #3

live view will help a lot IMHO
I am happy with LifePixel work done on my 40D - full spectrum conversion

NWPhil
Editing Image OK
GEAR

johneo
Goldmember
1,428 posts
Joined Aug 2003

Sep 24, 2013 10:02 |  #4

I had my old 10D converted a number of years ago to B&W IR by Lifepixel. Very pleased with the results and never really matters which lens I use ... some are better than others, just like any other camera. I really like shooting the B&W and there is a small learning curve as to what to expect when you take a shot in B&W IR.

Then decided to convert one of my 5D's to Super Color IR. Completely different experience!!! I do like "some" shots but what I found out is I MUCH prefer B&W IR. A little editing and those color IR shots look pretty good edited to B&W.

I think only you will know what the best option is for a conversion. I converted my 10D to IR when I realized I seldom used it anymore after buying my 5D's. Same for converting the 5D after buying my 7D & 5DMKII ... no sense in buying another body if I had one sitting around not being used.

Still a ways off, but recently thought after reading about ... "IF/WHEN" ... the 7DII comes out, converting my "old" 7D to B&W IR. We'll see!!! :D

2 - 5DMKII's, Powershot SX 150 IS
7D, 5D, IR/5D, 10D, IR/10D, Elan 7NE
17-40 L, 24-70 L, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS, 100-400 L IS,
TS-E 24 f/3.5 L, 28-135 IS (x2), 50 f/1.8, 85 f/1.8 550EX, 430EX
40mm pancake

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

690 views & 0 likes for this thread
Opinion on an infrared conversion
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.