Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
Thread started 22 Sep 2013 (Sunday) 04:41
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

HS Football series of a play at Clarksville, AR

SilenceGold
35 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 22, 2013 04:41 |  #1

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

Clarksville High School football hosts Dardanelle. (external link) par Chris Haulmark (external link), on ipernity

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Clarksville High School football hosts Dardanelle. (external link) par Chris Haulmark (external link), on ipernity

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

This is a series of a throwing play. I am aware that #3 horizon is off and I left it that way because if I adjust, my 5x7 ratio crop would cut off too much on the right side of the image. I am open to feedbacks.

sponsored links
jptsr1
Goldmember
1,812 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Sep 2006

Sep 22, 2013 05:47 |  #2

tough lighting. looks like you did what you could.

Et Facta Est Lux
My Gear
Flickrexternal link

xchangx
507 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 22, 2013 20:22 |  #3

These are extremely under exposed. What equipment are you shooting with? What settings did you have your camera on for these shots?

Nikon D4s / 2x D3s / D3 / 17-35 2.8 / 70-200 2.8 / 600 f4
Freelance sports photographer for Getty Images Sports, Entertainment and News
Freelance sports photographer for Sports Illustrated
My Images with Getty (external link)
My Sportsshooter Page (external link)
My Website (external link)

SilenceGold
THREAD ­ STARTER
35 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 22, 2013 20:55 |  #4

I was using the 70-200mm f/4.0 at 1/250 shutter speed with ISO at 5000 on 5d Mark II.

ChunkyDA
Goldmember
3,706 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Apr 2007

Sep 22, 2013 21:41 |  #5

Wow these are dark. I thought the pass was headed to 1 but 15 got it and the is a flag on the defender of the non-receiver?

Dave
Support Search and Rescue, Get Lost (external link)
Gear list and some feedback

jptsr1
Goldmember
1,812 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Sep 2006

Sep 23, 2013 09:54 |  #6

SilenceGold wrote in post #16317307 (external link)
I was using the 70-200mm f/4.0 at 1/250 shutter speed with ISO at 5000 on 5d Mark II.

your gonna have a rough go shooting night games with those settings, particularly 4.0 and 1/250. you definitely need something faster.

Et Facta Est Lux
My Gear
Flickrexternal link

xchangx
507 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 23, 2013 15:00 |  #7

So here's what I'm seeing...

You are going to have to jack up your iso. First, 1/250 isn't fast enough for football, you should be at a minimum 1/640. Noise is better than motion blur.

You also should crop much tighter. If straightening the horizon crops out a player then toss the picture. Neither of these shots would make to cut for me.

Nikon D4s / 2x D3s / D3 / 17-35 2.8 / 70-200 2.8 / 600 f4
Freelance sports photographer for Getty Images Sports, Entertainment and News
Freelance sports photographer for Sports Illustrated
My Images with Getty (external link)
My Sportsshooter Page (external link)
My Website (external link)

jonathanheierle
538 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2013

Sep 24, 2013 10:56 |  #8

I do find the watermark/signature to be a little too big

Canon 5D Mark III, Canon 70-200L F4 IS, Canon 24-105L Tokina 11-16mm f2.8

SilenceGold
THREAD ­ STARTER
35 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 24, 2013 15:39 |  #9

ChunkyDA wrote in post #16317390 (external link)
Wow these are dark. I thought the pass was headed to 1 but 15 got it and the is a flag on the defender of the non-receiver?

Yes, it was a pass interference on the defender.

jptsr1 wrote in post #16318351 (external link)
your gonna have a rough go shooting night games with those settings, particularly 4.0 and 1/250. you definitely need something faster.

Yes, I know. It would be nice to have the same lenses with f/2.8 but budget don't call for it yet.

xchangx wrote in post #16319094 (external link)
So here's what I'm seeing...

You are going to have to jack up your iso. First, 1/250 isn't fast enough for football, you should be at a minimum 1/640. Noise is better than motion blur.

You also should crop much tighter. If straightening the horizon crops out a player then toss the picture. Neither of these shots would make to cut for me.

The iso was at 5000 but I did increase the ISO to 6400 for many other pictures that weren't in the light (uneven lightning around the field). I agree with the statement that the motion being frozen would be better than having too much noise. At 1/640 with f/4.0, I would end up with way more darker pictures. I don't think postprocessing would even bring those images back especially when the distant subject is in focus.

I just thought it would be nice to show a series of action.

Here is another picture that I think did best justice:

IMAGE NOT FOUND

jonathanheierle wrote in post #16321348 (external link)
I do find the watermark/signature to be a little too big

I made the watermark/signature to be large and near the action on purpose so parents won't rip it off. I shared it with some parents and few have contacted me for prints. Those prints aren't of those pictures I posted here in this thread. However, there's one request for the print in this same post.

I appreciate all the feedback and believe me, I am considering them all as I am improving. Thanks.

joeblack2022
Goldmember
3,005 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Sep 24, 2013 15:51 |  #10

SilenceGold wrote in post #16322156 (external link)
The iso was at 5000 but I did increase the ISO to 6400 for many other pictures that weren't in the light (uneven lightning around the field). I agree with the statement that the motion being frozen would be better than having too much noise. At 1/640 with f/4.0, I would end up with way more darker pictures. I don't think postprocessing would even bring those images back especially when the distant subject is in focus.

I would crank the ISO on that 5D2 as high as needed to get faster shutter speeds. Noise reduction will be required but that is the nature of the beast with sports in low light.

Here is another picture that I think did best justice:

The focus looks off to me, looks sharpest on the player second from right.

I made the watermark/signature to be large and near the action on purpose so parents won't rip it off. I shared it with some parents and few have contacted me for prints. Those prints aren't of those pictures I posted here in this thread. However, there's one request for the print in this same post.

To be frank, I doubt that shots this underexposed will translate well to print.

Joel

flashpoint99
411 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Sep 24, 2013 16:58 |  #11

What metering did you use? In very dark Dance venues I switch to spot metering. I know it is tough when the subjects are moving however with practice you can get very good results.The spot metering will disregard the dark background as long as you stay on point and that will allow for a much faster SS.(now if the players are wearing black)....you have an issue..LOL

SilenceGold
THREAD ­ STARTER
35 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 24, 2013 21:08 |  #12

joeblack2022 wrote in post #16322196 (external link)
I would crank the ISO on that 5D2 as high as needed to get faster shutter speeds. Noise reduction will be required but that is the nature of the beast with sports in low light.

The focus looks off to me, looks sharpest on the player second from right.

To be frank, I doubt that shots this underexposed will translate well to print.

You could be right about the focus point - I just looked at the original picture before crop - that player is right in the center of the picture. I had it set as Al Servo with Spot metering with just the center AF point.

That's why I ordered few pictures of this whole football game after dark just to see. It's all new to me for night photography of a football game. I am curious to compare and see how bad it would be.

flashpoint99 wrote in post #16322417 (external link)
What metering did you use? In very dark Dance venues I switch to spot metering. I know it is tough when the subjects are moving however with practice you can get very good results.The spot metering will disregard the dark background as long as you stay on point and that will allow for a much faster SS.(now if the players are wearing black)....you have an issue..LOL

Yes, it was spot metering with center AF point. I would probably try to point at their white pants if they had black or dark colored jersey.

If it matters, I shot in manual mode. With the 1/250 as the shutter speed. I figured that only the ball would be in a blur. High school players aren't that quick compared to college/pros so I figured that if I held the camera steady and took pictures, I might be able to get good results. I have been able to take good sunset pictures handheld at slower shutter speeds because I think I got steady hands. Maybe it is a nice ability for night football?

Also on a side thought, I have been thinking that maybe my monitor isn't properly calibrated although most of those dark pictures don't look underexposed when I am looking at their face? I thought only faces being properly exposed would matter to parents?

Czbrat271
611 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Sep 25, 2013 06:01 |  #13

Are you shooting JPEG or RAW? If you are shooting in Raw you can adjust the temperature and exposure settings to get a cleaner picture due to the lights...

SilenceGold
THREAD ­ STARTER
35 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 25, 2013 12:27 |  #14

Czbrat271 wrote in post #16323712 (external link)
Are you shooting JPEG or RAW? If you are shooting in Raw you can adjust the temperature and exposure settings to get a cleaner picture due to the lights...

Those are shot in RAW. Yes, I did some work on those pictures.

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
19,409 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 26, 2013 20:41 |  #15

Now you know why some of us shoot with flash.:)

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

sponsored links

3,145 views & 0 likes for this thread
HS Football series of a play at Clarksville, AR
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.