Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 23 Sep 2013 (Monday) 00:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Focused or ready to focus?

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
9,066 posts
Joined May 2003

Sep 24, 2013 15:03 |  #16

Get your ISO up as well. Experiment a bit with 200 or even 400 as the norm. On that 2nd image that would have given you f4.5 or f5.6, much closer to the sweet spot on that lens.

sponsored links
NewCreation
Goldmember
3,214 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2013

Sep 24, 2013 15:16 |  #17

sapearl wrote in post #16322029 (external link)
Thanks for posting that Brenda - much appreciated ;).

Happy to help. :)

My name is Brenda ~Saved by grace, walking by faith
http://brendahoffmanph​otography.com (external link)
Facebook (external link)

mmahmood
THREAD ­ STARTER
167 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Sep 25, 2013 00:34 |  #18

sapearl wrote in post #16321778 (external link)
The second image certainly looks sharper than the first, but it also looks like it is more correctly exposed. The first picture looks like it is at least 1-stop overexposed which will give it a softer, less sharp OOF appearance. I am guessing that either your metering might have shifted, resulting in the overexposed shot.

I don't have an EXIF viewer with me right now: what were your shutter speed, aperture and ISO settings?

you got a point there in my opinion and it is obvious from EXIF too, that first picture is shot with slower shutter than the second one, the one that looks sharp

mmahmood
THREAD ­ STARTER
167 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Sep 25, 2013 00:41 |  #19

icacphotography wrote in post #16321998 (external link)
Looking at what you posted of the EXIF it looks like the main issue is the the fact the lens was wide open and the camera overexposed. so that doesn't necessarily mean it's OOF but given it's overexposed and such it gives that optical illusion. The second one is exposed correctly and appears much sharper. I think it's the fact the metering must have shifted that or it was choosing a different focus point and was able to lock more easily.

yes both factors were there, focusing shifted from 3 points to single point and shutter was also slow on image that looks OOF

there i would like to ask another question, i was in manual mode, means i have to rely on camera metering and adjust my shutter with jog wheel, ok thats pretty nice but as you can see i was out in bright open day light around 1300HRS, it was hard to see which focus point camera selected and secondly camera LCD in such bright conditions does not give you a crisp image to look at to judge that how image was exposed, what is experts work around for such scenario?

mmahmood
THREAD ­ STARTER
167 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Sep 25, 2013 00:46 |  #20

sapearl wrote in post #16322029 (external link)
Thanks for posting that Brenda - much appreciated ;). That shows that there was almost a full stop in exposure difference between the two images. The blown out highlights will reduce apparent sharpness, saturation, contrast and detail in those areas giving the appearance of an OOF image.

Mmahmood, you just need to refine your metering technique better for a more accurate reading and your pictures should greatly improve. Do you recall what metering mode you were using and which areas of the scene you metered?

@NewCreation
Thanks for posting that EXIF in my absence to keep things rolling

@sapearl
metering was set to evaluative and all focus points were selected, all focus points were made available with intention to get as much of image in focus as possible, for landscape photography if that is not valid plz let me know how should i take it

mmahmood
THREAD ­ STARTER
167 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Sep 25, 2013 00:52 |  #21

John from PA wrote in post #16322067 (external link)
Get your ISO up as well. Experiment a bit with 200 or even 400 as the norm. On that 2nd image that would have given you f4.5 or f5.6, much closer to the sweet spot on that lens.

sure i will

lovemyram4x4
Goldmember
2,198 posts
Gallery: 97 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Mar 2013

Sep 25, 2013 01:19 |  #22

All focus points enabled will not give more DOF, what will do is focus on the closest thing with good contrast. If you're lucky it might what you want to focus on. About the only time I'll use all foucs points is for small(in view finder) BIF in open sky(as there's nothing else to focus on but the bird).

If you want more DOF you have 3 options, use shorter focal length, get further back and/or stop down. For those shots you should have used something towards f16 and focus about 1/3 of the way into the scene(check into hyperfocus).

sponsored links

1,874 views & 0 likes for this thread
Focused or ready to focus?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.