Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 24 Sep 2013 (Tuesday) 19:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Photoshop,lightroom & 70D

britt777
Goldmember
1,142 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Sep 24, 2013 19:40 |  #1

So I just bought the 70D and took some pictures in RAW, went to open in lightroom 2 and photoshop cs4, No go....This Camera Vs Software stuff is really frustrating. One sure fine way to stop people from wanting to buy new things....grrrr.

Can someone please tell me if its possible to open the pictures without having to upgrade the software.

Brittany
www.shutterprophotogra​phy.com (external link)

sponsored links
tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 24, 2013 20:03 |  #2

You have a couple approaches:

The most "popular" one appears to be to use the DNG "format". From Adobe you download the free dng converter that is current (that supports the 70D). In the converter, there is a setting to the version of Camera Raw that you are using. With CS4 and LR2, I believe that would be ACR5. You will also need to choose options for how you want your files to be handled. You then run your files through the converter. The resulting dng files can be opened by both Lightroom and Camera Raw (if you want to open them directly in Photoshop). I'd suggest that for this approach you make a backup of your CR2 files in your dedicated backup drive.

The second approach would be to use the Canon Raw processor Digital Photo Professional (DPP) to process your CR2 Raw files (not dng files). This approach has actually gained popularity over the years because Canon has improved DPP in numerous ways, in fact, you can potentially do your work in DPP and output final jpegs, similar to how folks like to use Lightroom, or for more work you can "transfer to Photoshop" where DPP creates a tiff file (similar to the default behavior of "Edit in Photoshop" from Lightroom).

The downside of using DPP is that you won't be able to use Lightroom with your Raw files. The downside of the dng conversion is that you won't be able to use DPP with the dng files. And, LR5 should be able to work with your CR2 files, assuming you want to go "back" from using dng!

If it were me, because I'm a "died in the wool" Lightroom user, I'd take the dng route. But I'd also say that you would benefit by saving your nickels and dimes for a newer version of Lightroom, either LR4 or LR5, because Lightroom has gotten some very nice developments through those two versions!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

britt777
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,142 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Sep 24, 2013 20:09 |  #3

Wow that sure seems like a lot of work. I am totally happy with the PS & LR versions I have. Like the cameras and lenses aren't expensive enough, then the software company wants more money.....GRRRRR. Not to mention all the confusion. I just want to take picture. I don't have all day to sit at the computer researching how to make things work. Sorry for the gripping, but I can't even see my pictures now....:(

Brittany

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,387 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Sep 24, 2013 21:06 as a reply to  @ britt777's post |  #4

While I agree that Adobe's update policy is harsh and money grabbing I also understand (having worked in software development for years) that there are limits to how long you can continue supporting old software.

When you update a pieces of software there is a chance of introducing new errors, which means you need to put the software through a new round of testing - which costs money. The risk of introducing errors increases the older the software because often the original programmers may have left the company.

There have been three separate process engines http://help.adobe.com …c02a1341ed8e630​-8000.html (external link) for Lightroom; 2003, 2010 and 2012. That means that supporting those older versions would mean that every time they do an update they actually need to do three updates for the process engines plus additional work for each actual version of LR (LR1, 2, 3, 4 and 5). That is a huge amount of updating, debugging and testing for no financial return. It is simply more economical to update one pieces of software - the DNG converter and give that away for free.

Personally I think they should at least support the current process engine - meaning that any updates to the 2012 engine should be done for both LR4 and 5. Sadly Adobe don't agree.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

D ­ Thompson
Goldmember
3,856 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Sep 24, 2013 21:40 as a reply to  @ Dan Marchant's post |  #5

Here's the link for the DNG converter for your 70D - DNG (external link). Here is the Read Me file - Read Me (external link) Of course, DPP that came with your camera should be able to see the files.

Dennis
Canon 5D 20D
I have not yet begun to procrastinate!

Rimmer
Goldmember
1,416 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Sep 25, 2013 09:43 |  #6

britt777 wrote in post #16322867 (external link)
Wow that sure seems like a lot of work. I am totally happy with the PS & LR versions I have. Like the cameras and lenses aren't expensive enough, then the software company wants more money.....GRRRRR. Not to mention all the confusion. I just want to take picture. I don't have all day to sit at the computer researching how to make things work. Sorry for the gripping, but I can't even see my pictures now....:(

I just bought a new camera that isn't supported by Lightroom 4.4. It is supported by Lightroom 5.2, which I will upgrade to once I get around to it (I'm reading Scott Kelby's new book in the meantime). For now though, the Adobe DNG converter (version 8.2) is working fine for me and adds hardly anything to the workload. I have set up two folders on my computer. The first receives the RAW files from the camera, and the second is the output target for the DNG converter. Once you have the DNG converter configured as to input and output folders (you do this only once), it is literally two clicks to convert -- once to start the program and once to start the conversion. The converter does the entire folder without further interaction. Once more click to exit and you're done. Then I start Lightroom, point it to the folder with the DNGs, and import (my import setting is "Copy"). Importing DNGs is incredibly fast, by the way. Since I have Lightroom make an automatic backup of all imports to a second hard drive, I eventually delete both the original RAW files and the first set of DNGs. (Once a month I also do an incremental backup of all images and the Lightroom catalog to an external drive.)

Yes, it's a bit more work, but not much.

Everyone blames Adobe for "planned obsolescence", but why on earth does every camera by every manufacturer -- even a slight upgrade to the same model that uses the same lens and sensor -- have to use a new RAW format? Even if all they do is change the LCD screen, they change the RAW format! :rolleyes:

Ace Rimmer -- "What a guy!"
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast." ;)

britt777
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,142 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Sep 25, 2013 18:08 as a reply to  @ Rimmer's post |  #7

$79 later I am now back up and running with lightroom 5. LR2 & PS CS4 were not compatible with 70D. There was no DNG converter either. The programs were just to old...said Adobe Support. So long story short, I am now the proud owner of LR 5, I guess it was time to update any way...lol ;)

Oh and Im also now the proud owner of Mountain Lion OS since LR 5 was not compatible with my Snow Lion OS....gotta love it, that was another $20

Brittany

phantelope
Goldmember
1,889 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2008

Sep 25, 2013 18:15 |  #8

yep, it's like drug dealers ;-)a

LR5 is much better than LR2 was though, I think you'll be happy. Maybe get a book, I prefer Martin Evening over Kelby and his bad jokes and step 1 step 2 step3 approach, but what ever works better for you. Of course, that's an other 30 or so bucks.

40D, 5D3, a bunch of lenses and other things :cool:

britt777
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,142 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Sep 25, 2013 21:33 |  #9

phantelope wrote in post #16325428 (external link)
yep, it's like drug dealers ;-)a

LR5 is much better than LR2 was though, I think you'll be happy. Maybe get a book, I prefer Martin Evening over Kelby and his bad jokes and step 1 step 2 step3 approach, but what ever works better for you. Of course, that's an other 30 or so bucks.

lol....its only money right. Thanks for the read info;)

Brittany

sponsored links

3,584 views & 0 likes for this thread
Photoshop,lightroom & 70D
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.