Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 24 Sep 2013 (Tuesday) 07:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

NK Whitney & CO

tmoore323
Goldmember
1,945 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Sep 24, 2013 07:19 |  #1

Reproduction of Kirtland, Ohio's first General Store, C&C welcome

3 shot bracket
7d
M
iso 800
1/640
28-135@41mm
f4.0

IMAGE: http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2876/9914563435_6f0e3cc9c1_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …/47401703@N06/9​914563435/  (external link)
NKWhitney (external link) by tmoore323 (external link), on Flickr

sponsored links
joedlh
Cream of the Crop
5,304 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Dec 2007
Location: Long Island, NY, N. America, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Cluster, Laniakea.

Sep 24, 2013 07:54 |  #2

It looks too new to be a believable Ohio's first General Store. Is that PVC siding?

If this were my shot, and not having a tilt-shift lens, I would have left a lot of room around the edges so that I could straighten the verticals in post processing.

It looks a little underexposed.

Joe
Gear: Kodak Instamatic, Polaroid Swinger. Oh you meant gear now. :rolleyes:
http://photo.joedlh.ne​t (external link)
Editing ok

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,679 posts
Gallery: 146 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 24, 2013 10:01 |  #3

A nicely composed image.

The bit of blue sky at the top right is wonderful - just what my eyes wanted to see in an image that is otherwise somewhat drab, as far as lighting is concerned.

Some sunlight on the building would really help to showcase the store more effectively. I am wondering if there is ever a time of day when there is sunlight on these two sides of the building.

A slight counter-clockwise rotation would straighten out the most dominant vertical line, which is the downspout on the corner of the building. I realize that doing so would take the vertical on the far right even more out of plumb, but it might be best to sacrifice that for the improvement of the image as a whole. Or better yet, as Joe recommended, you could use software to straighten out all of the verticals.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

tmoore323
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,945 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Sep 24, 2013 10:48 |  #4

joedlh wrote in post #16320915 (external link)
It looks too new to be a believable Ohio's first General Store. Is that PVC siding?

If this were my shot, and not having a tilt-shift lens, I would have left a lot of room around the edges so that I could straighten the verticals in post processing.

It looks a little underexposed.

It's not the "original" They re-built it about 10 years ago...

There was also another building next to it that would be in the shot then, I actually cloned the bit I did get into the shot out.

tmoore323
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,945 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Sep 24, 2013 10:50 |  #5

Tom Reichner wrote in post #16321201 (external link)
A nicely composed image.

The bit of blue sky at the top right is wonderful - just what my eyes wanted to see in an image that is otherwise somewhat drab, as far as lighting is concerned.

Some sunlight on the building would really help to showcase the store more effectively. I am wondering if there is ever a time of day when there is sunlight on these two sides of the building.

A slight counter-clockwise rotation would straighten out the most dominant vertical line, which is the downspout on the corner of the building. I realize that doing so would take the vertical on the far right even more out of plumb, but it might be best to sacrifice that for the improvement of the image as a whole. Or better yet, as Joe recommended, you could use software to straighten out all of the verticals.

I did use the camera correction in PS, but it didn't fix them all the way sadly :(

The angle was somewhat of an "artistic" choice, this is how you see the building as you approach it coming up the hill....

Q-Man
Goldmember
1,043 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Sep 25, 2013 18:13 |  #6

The main thing for me is what Tom mentioned already. Fix the dominant vertical line so that the downspout is straight. It looks like the building is leaning backwards. More light on the building would be nice too as it seems underexposed.

6D | 7D MkII | 16-35 f4L | 35 f1.2L II | 135 f2L | 180 f3.5L | 400 f5.6L
breathephoto (external link)

tmoore323
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,945 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Sep 25, 2013 21:17 |  #7

Q-Man wrote in post #16325425 (external link)
The main thing for me is what Tom mentioned already. Fix the dominant vertical line so that the downspout is straight. It looks like the building is leaning backwards. More light on the building would be nice too as it seems underexposed.

Why does the downspout have to be straight? (serious question)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,679 posts
Gallery: 146 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 25, 2013 21:39 |  #8

I'd still like to know about what sunlight falls on this building at different times throughout the day. That warm, creamy off-white color that comprises the majority of the building can look really awesome when it has direct, soft sunlight on it. It's just one of those colors / tones that doesn't look its best when illuminated with drab, diffused light.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

tmoore323
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,945 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Sep 26, 2013 08:58 |  #9

This was somewhere around 5:30 PM, so I imagine much earlier in the day would produce a better lighting...

It's about an hour from my house, so it's a possibility of going back up there sometime. in the winter I imagine it could be a very interesting subject.

Q-Man
Goldmember
1,043 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Sep 26, 2013 17:08 |  #10

tmoore323 wrote in post #16325765 (external link)
Why does the downspout have to be straight? (serious question)

Because it would make the rest of the building appear to be standing straight. It's leaning in both directions right now, so to at least have the largest vertical towards the center straight will make it seem straight.

6D | 7D MkII | 16-35 f4L | 35 f1.2L II | 135 f2L | 180 f3.5L | 400 f5.6L
breathephoto (external link)

sponsored links

1,110 views & 0 likes for this thread
NK Whitney & CO
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.