Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
Thread started 23 Sep 2013 (Monday) 15:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

My 1st Wedding as a Main Photographer

alexsiauw
59 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Sep 23, 2013 15:19 |  #1

This is also my 1st post here, I apologize that the wedding I shoot as a main photographer using the Nikon D800 system, just before I move to Canon. Please C&C from you guys so I will be able to improve my skills. Thanks for visiting this thread.
Here is some of the photos:

IMAGE: http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2853/9787247083_7e60b37119_b.jpg
IMAGE: http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2890/9789881596_12b729cefa_b.jpg
IMAGE: http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3706/9790118776_0f6d10fa59_b.jpg
IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7373/9801200276_2f838062b0_b.jpg
IMAGE: http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5532/9801911325_a64f21ec94_b.jpg
IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7319/9803355754_e7126ae500_b.jpg
IMAGE: http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3700/9803226685_256d6ff876_b.jpg
IMAGE: http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2882/9803301325_1fb76a8f49_b.jpg

sponsored links
CanonVsNikon
255 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Sep 23, 2013 16:12 |  #2
bannedPermanent ban

During the walk down the aisle, lady in back is real distracting. And too many shots with on camera flash.

alexsiauw
THREAD ­ STARTER
59 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Sep 23, 2013 16:26 |  #3

CanonVsNikon wrote in post #16319290 (external link)
During the walk down the aisle, lady in back is real distracting. And too many shots with on camera flash.

The lady with the purple tank top? I think she is the event organizer, she should not charge the cellphone in that location, I was using flash because the place is so dark, thanks anyway for the critique, I will reduce in using flash next time, I am using the 5D III now but only with the 24-105mm lens kit and the 70-200 f/4 IS and 2 Canon 600EX RT, hopefully I will be able to get more better lenses in the near future.

Pirate4
693 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Sep 26, 2013 01:27 |  #4

Watch your shadows on the pier shot

Canon 7D

bidkev
Goldmember
4,847 posts
Gallery: 2123 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Jul 2013

Sep 26, 2013 01:43 |  #5

The groom looks like a manual worker judging by his hands. That said, the white "splashes" on his nails could be caused by trauma, as in "giving the nails a hard time". If not, he needs to see a doc, as contrary to popular belief, they are not caused by calcium deficiency. The fact that they are on all fingers could indicate something else. Just a heads up if the groom is known to you on a personal level.

See my fishy photography here: https://kevindickinson​fineartphot.smugmug.co​m/Tropical-Fish-2/ (external link)
Olympus PenF | Olympus OM-D E-M5 mkll x 2 gripped | Olympus OM-D E-M10 mkll gripped | Olympus 12-40 2.8 pro | 14 -150 | 17mm 1.8 | 9mm BCL | Panasonic 12-32 | 25mm 1.7 | Panasonic Leica 8-18 | Panasonic Leica 100-400 | Godox TT685O speedlite

reefvilla
996 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined May 2010

Sep 26, 2013 08:04 |  #6

bidkev wrote in post #16326142 (external link)
The groom looks like a manual worker judging by his hands. That said, the white "splashes" on his nails could be caused by trauma, as in "giving the nails a hard time". If not, he needs to see a doc, as contrary to popular belief, they are not caused by calcium deficiency. The fact that they are on all fingers could indicate something else. Just a heads up if the groom is known to you on a personal level.

GREAT.... Can you give a little more info because now that you made me look at MY nails, I have white spots on 3 of my finger nails and I'm curious to how long I have to live?!? :)

I AM rough on my hands and do a lot of labor intensive projects....

Canon 6D Mark2 : Canon 16-35mm f4 IS : Canon 24-70mm f2.8 ii : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 IS ii

NewCreation
Goldmember
3,214 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2013

Sep 26, 2013 08:13 |  #7

I'm going to throw my 2 cents in but take it for what it's worth. I have shot a wedding but am learning group shots. The actual wedding photogs will probably put me in my place. ;)

1. Not a big deal, but the guy in the middle in the truck bed needs to either wear the sunglasses or take them off.
2. Looks like the shot could have been improved if you moved them a bit to their right to move them away from the distraction of the cars in the shot. (Not your fault, but the man looks grumpy - lol)
3. Do you mean for it to be tilted?
4 & 5 - You've cut off the feet of the person on the right. We're they all on a hill in # 5?
6. I bet they're going to like this one!
7. As mentioned, your shadow. And make sure her dress is displayed and not cut off.
8. A little different perspective would have shown her ring better. Girls like to see the "rock".

The exposures are good and the colors are nice. Please don't take my critique too hard. Just trying to be helpful for the next time from things I've noticed in my own shots. :)

My name is Brenda ~Saved by grace, walking by faith
http://brendahoffmanph​otography.com (external link)
Facebook (external link)

alexsiauw
THREAD ­ STARTER
59 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Sep 26, 2013 08:44 |  #8

Pirate4 wrote in post #16326126 (external link)
Watch your shadows on the pier shot

Thank you for your info, I still need to improve my skills.

alexsiauw
THREAD ­ STARTER
59 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Sep 26, 2013 08:45 |  #9

bidkev wrote in post #16326142 (external link)

Yes, you are right, he does quite rough job, I will tell him about it. Thanks.

alexsiauw
THREAD ­ STARTER
59 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Sep 26, 2013 08:52 |  #10

NewCreation wrote in post #16326559 (external link)
I'm going to throw my 2 cents in but take it for what it's worth. I have shot a wedding but am learning group shots. The actual wedding photogs will probably put me in my place. ;)

1. Not a big deal, but the guy in the middle in the truck bed needs to either wear the sunglasses or take them off.
2. Looks like the shot could have been improved if you moved them a bit to their right to move them away from the distraction of the cars in the shot. (Not your fault, but the man looks grumpy - lol)
3. Do you mean for it to be tilted?
4 & 5 - You've cut off the feet of the person on the right. We're they all on a hill in # 5?
6. I bet they're going to like this one!
7. As mentioned, your shadow. And make sure her dress is displayed and not cut off.
8. A little different perspective would have shown her ring better. Girls like to see the "rock".

The exposures are good and the colors are nice. Please don't take my critique too hard. Just trying to be helpful for the next time from things I've noticed in my own shots. :)

Wow, I like your critique, it's opened my eyes, now I saw what's wrong with my photos, the guys on the truck you mean the one with the hat, yes he's a bit grumpy sometimes, the one with the sunglasses on the head, maybe he forgot that he has it. I really like someone give me critiques, if you are willing to see my other photos here is the link to my flickr:
http://www.flickr.com …s/sets/72157635​565294511/ (external link)
Please let me know what I am doing wrong, I actually helping this couple to take their wedding photos, I am not a pro. Thanks.

NewCreation
Goldmember
3,214 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2013

Sep 26, 2013 12:26 |  #11

You're welcome. Did you get shots of just the bride and just the groom? I ask because the rookie photog at my son/DIL's wedding did not. There wasn't a shot list. If I shoot a wedding that is one thing I will be sure to do.

My name is Brenda ~Saved by grace, walking by faith
http://brendahoffmanph​otography.com (external link)
Facebook (external link)

alexsiauw
THREAD ­ STARTER
59 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Sep 26, 2013 12:59 |  #12

NewCreation wrote in post #16327150 (external link)
You're welcome. Did you get shots of just the bride and just the groom? I ask because the rookie photog at my son/DIL's wedding did not. There wasn't a shot list. If I shoot a wedding that is one thing I will be sure to do.

I think I got the photo of just the bride, the groom only I did not get, oops I got when he was preparing and dress up. Maybe you can check my flickr.

flashpoint99
411 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Sep 26, 2013 13:03 |  #13

Your exposure looks good to me....Now you just need to be more aware of your background..like in #4 ,Good picture but the fence and power unit are very distracting. Alot to keep track of but keep shooting, youll just get better and better.

iadubber
Goldmember
1,449 posts
Joined May 2009

Sep 26, 2013 13:07 |  #14

4. I'd clone out the power transformer at least. It kills the shot for me.
5. The tilted horizon hurts it and the busy bushes behind. If they were farther from the bushes it may have turned out better.
6. I really like this one. They are going to be stoked to print that up.

Buyer/Seller Feedback
Flickr (external link)

bidkev
Goldmember
4,847 posts
Gallery: 2123 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Jul 2013

Sep 26, 2013 17:08 |  #15

reefvilla wrote in post #16326550 (external link)
GREAT.... Can you give a little more info because now that you made me look at MY nails, I have white spots on 3 of my finger nails and I'm curious to how long I have to live?!? :)

I AM rough on my hands and do a lot of labor intensive projects....

Don't worry then, it's generally caused by trauma to nails via hard work. Only worry if it's widespread on all nails and you are fairly sedentary. A google of Leukonychia will put you in the picture and I only mention it because a friend was found to have a liver ailment which could have been diagnosed sooner had she known this was an indicator (rare).

See my fishy photography here: https://kevindickinson​fineartphot.smugmug.co​m/Tropical-Fish-2/ (external link)
Olympus PenF | Olympus OM-D E-M5 mkll x 2 gripped | Olympus OM-D E-M10 mkll gripped | Olympus 12-40 2.8 pro | 14 -150 | 17mm 1.8 | 9mm BCL | Panasonic 12-32 | 25mm 1.7 | Panasonic Leica 8-18 | Panasonic Leica 100-400 | Godox TT685O speedlite

sponsored links

2,408 views & 0 likes for this thread
My 1st Wedding as a Main Photographer
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.