Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 26 Sep 2013 (Thursday) 13:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Wedding Picture Help Please

carshop
Goldmember
1,845 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Sep 26, 2013 13:18 |  #1

I have been asked by a friend of mine to clean up this picture and canvas print it.

Im ok with the canvas printing.

But I would like to have someone here with photoshop skills that are beyond mine.

She would like all the people removed from the background, but leave in the walls, ceiling and floor if possible.

She took the picture with her cell phone, so the file is only 1MB

I can email you the file.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

ShawnSmugmug (external link)/Flickr (external link)/LikeMyFacebook (external link)
Canon 7D Gripped|Canon 20D
Canon 70-200 2.8 IS|Canon 24-105|Canon 18-135
Canon 580 EX II|Sigma 18-50 2.8
Canon 55-250|Sigma 17-35 2.8| 2 Pocket Wizard II

sponsored links
HiepBuiPhotography
Goldmember
1,612 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Sep 26, 2013 13:24 |  #2

With the photo being taken with a phone, I'm not sure how large you can blow this up on a canvas and not have it look horrible. The dress is completely blown out. The faces aren't lit. With no RAW file to work with, this is going to be a tough job. Does your friend have any photos from the professional photographer?

Hiep Bui Photography | Harrisburg Wedding Photographer (external link)

carshop
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,845 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Sep 26, 2013 13:25 |  #3

The canvas is only 18 x 22
So it shouldnt look that bad.
I will ask her if she has access to the photographers shot.
Thanks

ShawnSmugmug (external link)/Flickr (external link)/LikeMyFacebook (external link)
Canon 7D Gripped|Canon 20D
Canon 70-200 2.8 IS|Canon 24-105|Canon 18-135
Canon 580 EX II|Sigma 18-50 2.8
Canon 55-250|Sigma 17-35 2.8| 2 Pocket Wizard II

Thorrulz
Goldmember
3,762 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Jan 2009

Sep 26, 2013 17:39 |  #4

Considering the photo doesn't look good on my 10" tablet the prognosis of it looking worse on an 18" x 22" canvas are even better. Best to get with the pro and pay the premium price right off the get go than waste time on trying to turn that 1mb snapshot into a presentable wall mount portrait.

Not trying to sound mean as the photo does capture a beautiful moment between the couple, but there is only so much you can expect with the workable data being presented.

Flickr (external link)
D800 I Nikon 200 f2 VR 1 I Nikon 200 f2 ED AI-S I Nikon 135 f2 DC I Nikon 28-70 f/2.8 I Nikon 50 f/1.4G I Nikon 85 f/1.8G I Pentax 645D I SMC FA 645 75 F2.8 I SMC FA 645 45-85 F4.5 I SMC FA 645 200 F4
My sister, the professional baker and cake decorator once told me that my camera takes great pics. My reply was that I thought her oven baked great cakes.:lol:

Flores
Goldmember
1,179 posts
Joined May 2010

Sep 26, 2013 17:58 |  #5

about the only thing you MIGHT consider, is throwing a LOT of photoshop at it, and turn it into more of a painting than a photo. that will look ok on a canvas.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 26, 2013 22:17 |  #6

One problem is that with the overblown whites, "normal" printing will simply not put any ink down. This can work "OK" (but not great) when printing to white paper, but on canvas? The wedding gown will be, well, canvas:)!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

bespoke
710 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 26, 2013 23:31 |  #7

ya.... you're going to have to pay a retoucher to do that work for you if you want it to look real. i've printed hundreds of canvases and i can tell you this will not look good at that size. an 8x10 canvas might be okay if not viewed up close. the blacks and whites will look like a mess

Toronto Fashion Photographer (external link)
5D3 & 5D2s | 24 TS-E II, 24-70 II, 85L II, 100L, 70-200L II, 35 & 85 Zeiss ZE, Samyang 14, Sigma 50
Hasselblads + Leaf Aptus MFDB, Fuji X100, Epson 3880/9890

D ­ Thompson
Goldmember
3,845 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Sep 26, 2013 23:54 |  #8

carshop wrote in post #16327318 (external link)
The canvas is only 18 x 22
So it shouldnt look that bad.

Only 18x22 from a 1 MB file? :rolleyes: The people in the background is the least of the problems. Like others have said - the dress is completely blown out. I just don't see this one happening, sorry.

Dennis
Canon 5D 20D
I have not yet begun to procrastinate!

flickserve
835 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 29, 2013 21:33 |  #9

One alternative is to give it to an artist and they paint from the picture on to a canvas. The artist can include things such as the detail in the dress and not include the background. Of course, it's not cheap and you depend a the artists impression. But at least it's an option. One can discuss with the artist whether an oil painting is worthwhile.

That digital picture with 1MB file size and no RAW, well, is worth trying to do anything with it?

JeremyKPhoto
Goldmember
1,633 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Sep 29, 2013 21:40 |  #10

Several reasons that this is not a good idea.
1. Blown out dress
2. WAY too grainy
3. People + photographer in background
4. Motion blur
5. Groom appears to have a shiny hat :)

All of these along with the fact it is a 1MB cell phone picture all adds up to money being wasted. The print will not turn out good.

5D Mark III / 70-200 2.8L IS II / 24-105L / 50 1.8 stm / Tamron 70-300 VC / Sigma 85mm 1.4 Art

sponsored links

1,341 views & 0 likes for this thread
Wedding Picture Help Please
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.