Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 21 Apr 2010 (Wednesday) 11:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Storage and backup - does anyone else use Dropbox?

illae
114 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 21, 2010 11:54 |  #1

I've been using Dropbox for a while now - and recently paid the 9.99/month for the upgrade to 50gigs of storage. This is in addition to having two copies of my photos on two separate hard drives locally. Does anyone else include an offline storage option when they backup their photos? Mozy? Dropbox? Other?

https://www.dropbox.co​m/referrals/NTM1MzA3OD​A5 (external link)

illae. info[at]skinandbones[dot]ca
www.skinandbones.ca (external link)
Flickr (external link)
Gear: | 5d MkII | 450d | Sigma 15mm f/2.8 | 24-70 f/2.8L| 70-200 f/4L | *50mm f/1.8* RIP |

sponsored links
Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Apr 21, 2010 12:11 |  #2

Well, 50 GB isn't a whole lot of storage; I've probably got close to that on my SmugMug site. I use several TB drives for my backups, and store one or more off-site.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

illae
THREAD ­ STARTER
114 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 21, 2010 12:17 |  #3

Jon wrote in post #10038042 (external link)
Well, 50 GB isn't a whole lot of storage; I've probably got close to that on my SmugMug site. I use several TB drives for my backups, and store one or more off-site.

I guess it was a poor way of starting a conversation on how people backup and store large amounts of photos. I don't have a ton so I haven't hit the 50g mark. It was a short-term solution to having an offsite backup for me.

illae. info[at]skinandbones[dot]ca
www.skinandbones.ca (external link)
Flickr (external link)
Gear: | 5d MkII | 450d | Sigma 15mm f/2.8 | 24-70 f/2.8L| 70-200 f/4L | *50mm f/1.8* RIP |

Mocows
Goldmember
1,055 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Apr 21, 2010 16:19 |  #4

Been using dropbox as long as it's been out but I don't use it for backup purposes (I'm far from needing online backups so I'm purely offline storage at this point). I tend to have all my work scripts on dropbox.

7D | XSi + Phottix Grip | 400 F/5.6 | 70-200 F/4 | Sigma 30 f/1.4 | Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6 |430ex | Horusbennu C-2830V | Photo Clam PC-33
flickr gallery (external link)

w0m
Goldmember
1,109 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2011

Sep 24, 2013 11:33 |  #5

I'm a fan of dropbox for syncing and have been since it came out; but storage is a little limited for photos (even 50gb..).

I personally just use online backup for my jpgs (flickr), and two local copies of DNG (NAS + local). There are lots of cheapish methods of large file backup online (carbonite; amazon glacier, etc); but I haven't migrated to one yet. Urgency would move up if I had a child or depended on said files for my livelihood.

[6D]

phantelope
Goldmember
1,889 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2008

Sep 24, 2013 11:46 |  #6

I use two identical 1TB drives to download my images from card to via LR. I back the main one up every month or so to an other portable 1TB drive that's stored at my wife's work, and I back everything up online with CrashPlan. I lost a relatively new drive once, only lost a handful of photos from a hike, but they were great shots in the fog. Never gonna happen again.

My macbook is also backed up onto a bootable drive using SuperDuper and CrashPlan. And one more external drive for TimeMachine.

Storage is cheap, lost stuff is priceless

40D, 5D3, a bunch of lenses and other things :cool:

rumple
67 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Sep 25, 2013 05:40 |  #7

illae wrote in post #10037926 (external link)
I've been using Dropbox for a while now - and recently paid the 9.99/month for the upgrade to 50gigs of storage. This is in addition to having two copies of my photos on two separate hard drives locally. Does anyone else include an offline storage option when they backup their photos? Mozy? Dropbox? Other?

Hmm, at $9.99/mth x 12 = approx. $120/yr is a bit stiff for only 50GB of storage. For less than half that amount per year, I have unlimited storage using Zenfolio which is a photo hosting site. Others like SmugMug or Flickr Pro will also be a cheaper option.

For external storage, I'm looking at SSDs which is faster and more reliable than traditional HDDs. The cost for SSDs are also coming down gradually. One external solid state drive I'm eyeing is the rugged Sony PSZ-SA25 (256GB, 400MB/s transfer speed) which is more expensive compared to the price you pay for traditional HDDs at 1TB/2TB/etc. But then, you are the one setting what's the value you place on your pics.

Ronnie Ang @ My Zenfolio (external link), My Macros (external link)
Bags: TTP Rotation360 (external link), Kata 3n1-20 (external link), Kata T-214 (external link), Domke F3X
Accessories: Walkstool (external link)

Rashkh
286 posts
Joined May 2011

Sep 25, 2013 13:58 |  #8

For cloud backup, I would recommend Amazon Glacier. It's long term storage only, which means you have to give amazon advanced notice to remove data from the servers, and the more you remove, the more it costs. It's basically a backup that you never touch unless you lose all your other backups. On the plus side, it's cheap. $0.01 per GB per month.

http://aws.amazon.com/​glacier/ (external link)

girvan
314 posts
Joined May 2008

Sep 25, 2013 14:01 |  #9

i use dphoto.com i find it to be a perfect solution for backups and distributing images to clients.

shoot with canon gear and some lights. my blog is at www.lightgangsta.com (external link)

5D2 | 7D | 17-40 f4L | 70-200 f2.8IS | Canon 100mm 2.8L IS Macro | Sigma 50 f1.4

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,169 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Sep 25, 2013 14:33 |  #10

I love Dropbox for what it is: A file synchronizing/online storage system and the easiest way to get a file on or off a tablet/phone. I do not consider it a backup system. What happens if you have a file stored in Dropbox and synced to 5 devices, then someone either maliciously or accidentally deletes it from one device? Dropbox will dutifully delete it from the other 4 of course!

If you put important data in Dropbox, you still need to back it up. I do this with both local hard drive based backups and Crashplan online backup.

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
15,008 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 25, 2013 18:03 |  #11

box.net gave out 50GB for free, but sucks compared to dropbox (different really). Even 50GB isnt enough. The thing with dropbox, is that I have it on all pc's, and would suck for all of them to sync.

that amazon solution looks pretty cool, but for the most part, I've given up on cloud backup. My cloud backup is my mom's house. I set her up with 3.5TB on a low power NAS, and backup to her house when I visit. Personal backup is also on my home NAS and USB drives.

Sony A7rii/A7riii - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - FE 35/2.8 - SY 35/1.4 AF - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

P51Mstg
Goldmember
1,336 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Sep 26, 2013 08:38 |  #12

SSDs.... I have literally dozens of working conventional hard drives. I also have 2 DEAD drives. Both SSDs... I thought they were great and now I really wonder about them....

Mark H

Too Much Camera Stuff......

w0m
Goldmember
1,109 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Sep 26, 2013 08:44 |  #13

P51Mstg wrote in post #16326612 (external link)
SSDs.... I have literally dozens of working conventional hard drives. I also have 2 DEAD drives. Both SSDs... I thought they were great and now I really wonder about them....

Mark H

That was your first dead drive? I consider you either really young or really lucky; likely a combination of the two.. :)

https://www.google.com …UtA&bvm=bv.5321​7764,d.eWU (external link)

[6D]

badams
699 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Sep 26, 2013 11:27 |  #14

I don't use any online backup solutions. My website stores high resolution jpgs. I have multiple drives at home and since I'm in Oklahoma and have tornadoes, I'll take a drive to work (30 miles away) during storm season.

I have thought about getting a safety deposit box at the bank and keep a drive there, but didn't want the hassle of going down there every so often to get the drive, backup, and return to the bank. It is an option however I don't know the cost.

Everyday use: 7D2, 1.4x v3 Canon TC (sometimes the 2x v2 Canon TC), Canon 500mm f4 L IS USM; 6D, 24-105L
http://www.southernokp​hotography.com (external link)

P51Mstg
Goldmember
1,336 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Sep 26, 2013 22:54 as a reply to  @ badams's post |  #15

WOM.... 54 years old using PCs since 1980 (PET, TRASH80) etc... Can't count how many personal PCs I've had over the years.... I lost one HD in law school in 1986..

At the law firm we had about 60 PCs networked, replaced them once after about 6 years, never lost a hard drive. Did lose one in the server running an early raid in the early 1990s.

At home to store photos and other data I have 3 Thecus NAS drives (8800 Pro), each has 8 drives in it (24 HDs so far). Backup is on another 8800 PRO (8 more drives -32 Drives so far); 2 7700PROs (14 more drives - 46 total) 4200PRO (4 more - 50), 5200 (5 more = 55 hard drives).

I keep several spares on hand and never pull them out... Most of the exact types of drives in the NASes are out of production (combinations of 2TB and 3 TB drives). Also have a handful of older 1TB bare drives I make images of the computers boot drives on (not counting those)

I'm also not counting all the drives I've upgraded overthe years, where we went from 1TB to 2TB in the NASes, etc. Those drives I put in cheap cases and use them to send large amounts of data to people who need it.... (give them away as they become obsolete.

I probably have 8 more external HDs, some with multiple drives (LACIE) say 15 more HDs there....(70 HDs so far)

Desktop has 1 3TB and a 1 TB Boot drive; Laptop has 1 1GB and a SSD... Girlfriend has 2 laptops with 2 HDs; son... well I have no clue how many computers he has. His dorm room at college looks like a data center....

So 75 Mechanical HDs and 1 SDD that works. I have 2 other SSDs that dropped dead... Brands I use for mechanicals are seagate and WD, with one 8800 with 8 Toshibas (which are pretty darn fast)

I've lost 2 mechanical HDs in my life (one in law school in 1986 and one at the law firm in the mid 1990s).... Lost 2 SSDs (2/3 of my SSDs I've owned) while only 4% of Mechanicals have failed. When you are talking 100,000s or millions of hours MTBF, its rare one is going to go out.

I can say I'm impressed with SSD speeds, some work well and apparently some don't...

Mark H

Too Much Camera Stuff......

sponsored links

3,889 views & 0 likes for this thread
Storage and backup - does anyone else use Dropbox?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.