Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 15 Aug 2013 (Thursday) 04:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Burned on eBay - BEWARE!

Arutemu
Goldmember
3,012 posts
Gallery: 143 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Feb 2011

Aug 15, 2013 04:27 |  #1

Bought: a Lowepro 202 sling bag from this seller: http://myworld.ebay.co​m …_trksid=p3984.m​1439.l2754 (external link)

Paid $41.98 incl. shipping via Paypal. A couple of days later received status update email with tracking number.

Received: a tiny package with some cheap Chinese charm amulet worth less than $1.00. Tracking number matched. Case opened against seller on eBay.

BEWARE! Avoid this seller like the plague. The matching tracking number means this was obviously deliberate - the seller wanted to have proof of shipment.

Just be careful and make sure to avoid this scumbag.

住めば/external linkFlickrexternal link
GEAR / FEEDBACK

sponsored links
Joe ­ Ravenstein
Goldmember
2,338 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 15, 2013 04:31 |  #2

Make sure Ebay knows about their shifty practices!!!!!!!!!!!!!​!!

Canon 60D,18-55mm,55-250mm,50mm compact macro, AF ext tubes. Sigma 8-16mm uwa, 18-250mm, 85mm F1.4, 150-500mm

NewCreation
Goldmember
3,216 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2013

Aug 15, 2013 04:41 |  #3

This seller got a few of us. https://photography-on-the.net …read.php?t=1317​789&page=8

Just root around ebay to find their phone number. Those of us who did had our money back within a couple of hours. The seller has been deactivated so ebay knows what scam is going on. HTH

My name is Brenda ~Saved by grace, walking by faith
http://brendahoffmanph​otography.com (external link)
Facebook (external link)

eddie3dfx
486 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Sep 27, 2013 03:51 |  #4

There are certain Items I would never buy or sell to International buyers. B+W filters being one specific Item I buy domestically.

Canon 6D, Canon L 24-105, Zeiss Distagon 28mm 2.8, Planar 50mm 1.4, Planar 85mm 1.4, Sonnar 135mm 2.8 & Zeiss Mutar 2x, Canon 50mm 1.8
http://www.edwinraffph​otography.com/ (external link)

Arutemu
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,012 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Sep 27, 2013 10:05 |  #5

I complained to eBay without expecting much. Since he sent me some meaningless crap he was sure to have a record and 'proof' of shipment. Much to my surprise, eBay refunded me the full amount - the very next day! My only guess is that they surely must know about this type of scam.

GEAR / FEEDBACK

JackLiu
570 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 27, 2013 11:26 |  #6

When you file a complaint with EBay and they confirm it is a scam, they can/will issue you a full refund.

"Love life and life will love you back. Love people and they will love you back." Arthur Rubinstein.

WhenIWake
223 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2011

Sep 27, 2013 13:32 |  #7

This is the reason why I now no longer use eBay international. Only buy from UK sellers.

5D II | 40D | 350D | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 | Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4.0-5.6 IS USM | EF 35mm f/1.4L
flickr (external link)

isoMorphic
Goldmember
2,090 posts
Joined May 2008

Sep 28, 2013 01:31 |  #8

Same happened to my mother she bought a purse last week and instead got an envelope with 1 Mexican peso shipped priority at that.

Ebay also refunded her so this must be an epidemic with anything bag related. I would stick to trusted sellers and avoid anything shipping from China. If everyone quits buying into this garbage the scammers will lose a fortune. They pay good large sums to buy matching Ebay/Paypal accounts with good ratings so they can pull these types of scams.

photography ­ By ­ Evangelos
Goldmember
1,167 posts
Joined Jan 2003

Sep 28, 2013 09:30 as a reply to  @ isoMorphic's post |  #9

If you paid trough PP and used eBay you are covered, just open up a case then when the member doesn't respond or even if they do you can escalate it to a claim if you can not come to an agreement, add photos of box and its contents and you will win your case its just that easy.

I have had to do this at least 20-30 times, I have 537 eBay transactions it never ceases to amaze me reference how may scumbags troll eBay in an effort to scam people.

Same goes when shipping and selling on eBay it works on the other end too. I had a guy say he did not get a Canon 70-200 F4 IS lens. I had shipped it FedEx ground, Direct signature requirement, and the amount disclosed. As usual I take photos of all by boxes once they are in FedEx hands with the label showing once it's in the hands of FedEx. The buyer said I shipped him car pats (yea scumbag) and that he never got the lens. I almost lost this one but flied a claim with FedEx and it was replaced without incident.

Guess anyone can get screwed if you don't dot your i's and cross your t's one mistake can cost you on eBay its seriously lopsided for the buyer don't know why.

Hope it all works out at least it's not a huge amount.

isoMorphic
Goldmember
2,090 posts
Joined May 2008

Sep 28, 2013 14:11 |  #10

photography By Evangelos wrote in post #16331155 (external link)
Guess anyone can get screwed if you don't dot your i's and cross your t's one mistake can cost you on eBay its seriously lopsided for the buyer don't know why.

Paypal has to follow polices set by the banks. They dont have a choice in the matter so they protect buyers or lose millions out of pocket. Same goes for anyone with a merchant account.

blanex1
790 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Sep 28, 2013 14:44 |  #11

glade to hear that ebay refunded your money,and i now only buy on ebay for domestic orders only,i went though the same thing as you,got stung a couple times with international orders before i new,i'm glade that you posted this info so that other readers will take warning about this mater.

canon 7d bg-e7 5d-mk3 1d-mk3 24-105-L 17-40 L 35/1.4 85/1.8 yougnuo 565 ex 580 ex and lots of other canon stuff.canon 70-200 2.8 L

john5189
598 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 28, 2013 14:54 |  #12

I've had some great stuff from China and Hong Kong- An unbelievable well made ettl flash extension cable for instance-only 15 pounds

Check feedback and only if they have many, many, many ratings and still have near 100% good feddback.

Even cautious with domestic sellers- saw a 100-400mm canon advertised in pristine condition and buyitnow price of 500pounds but big BUT only had half a dozen feedbacks as a purchasor of nothing worth more than 2 pounds- I just insta-closed the window.

Wedding Photography in Herefordshire.  (external link)

Arutemu
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,012 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Sep 28, 2013 17:31 |  #13

john5189 wrote in post #16331687 (external link)
I've had some great stuff from China and Hong Kong- An unbelievable well made ettl flash extension cable for instance-only 15 pounds

Check feedback and only if they have many, many, many ratings and still have near 100% good feddback.

Even cautious with domestic sellers- saw a 100-400mm canon advertised in pristine condition and buyitnow price of 500pounds but big BUT only had half a dozen feedbacks as a purchasor of nothing worth more than 2 pounds- I just insta-closed the window.

These are all very valid points.

Those a...holes ruin it for honest and legitimate sellers in China trying to make a living. Unfortunately, good feedback is not necessarily a bulletproof panacea. The scumbag who tried to cheat me had over 500 positives - @ 100%. I shudder to think that instead of my 40 bucks I could have been sending over a few hundred for something equally attractive.

Going exclusively domestic is also not a 100% fault-proof strategy. Years ago, I got burned with a domestic seller and there was not a damn thing I could do. Granted, this was in the early 2000s, way before all kinds of buyer protection measures were implemented.

I still use eBay heavily, but for I try to be careful (inasmuch as it's possible) and factor in the risk element.

GEAR / FEEDBACK

majix
396 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Aug 2013

Sep 28, 2013 18:14 |  #14

I am a seller on ebay , dont worry buyers will always win the cases :D

Majid flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)
http://www.mjdpic.com (external link)

ptcanon3ti
Cream of the Crop
8,734 posts
Gallery: 546 photos
Joined Sep 2012

Sep 29, 2013 09:13 |  #15

Not to go too far off topic...but does anyone know about this seller?

http://www.ebay.com …ashes&hash=item​3a81f0886c (external link)

Paul
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/petshots/ (external link)
Body - Nikon D750
Lenses - Nikon 20 f1.8 / Nikon 16-35 f4 / Sigma 105 OS Macro / Sigma 24-105 f4 Art / Tamron 70-200 2.8 Di VC / Sigma 150-600 "S"

sponsored links

2,799 views & 0 likes for this thread
Burned on eBay - BEWARE!
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.