Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 24 Sep 2013 (Tuesday) 11:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5D 3 vs 7d?

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Sep 27, 2013 05:22 |  #61

2loose wrote in post #16322058 (external link)
you can't go wrong with either one.

true, but I would prefer the 5D3

sponsored links
jonathanheierle
THREAD ­ STARTER
615 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2013

Sep 27, 2013 10:03 |  #62

I'd take the 5D3 any day, its an amazing camera, but you gotta pay to play

Sony A7RIII, Sony 70-200 F4 G OSS, Sony 24-105 F4 G OSS, Sigma 50mm 1.4 Art, Canon 70-200L 2.8 IS II Samyang 14mm f/2.8,

amfoto1
Cream of the Crop
10,251 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Sep 27, 2013 12:22 |  #63

First of all, 7D is not any smaller or significantly lighter than either 5DII or III. In fact it's heavier than 5DII and only afew grams lighter than 5DIII.

For sports/action, I use a pair of 7D. I'll upgrade to 7D Mark II when it comes out.

For landscapes, portraits, low light and some macro I use a 5DII. It's about one stop better than 7D in low light.

I have not upgraded to 5DIII... don't need to, because I use the 7Ds. If I could only have one camera, it might be a 5DIII, since the AF system is so improved and now capable of action/sports. On the other hand, I do a lot of telephoto work, so if I could only have one, it would most likely still be a cropper.

7D has more than double the photo sites per square mm of 5DII or 5DIII. About 54,000 compared to around 24,000. If you were to crop an image from 5DII or III down to match 7D's sensor size, you'd have about an 8 or 9MP image. Compared to 18MP with 7D. 7D "puts more pixels on target", so is a better choice when telephoto reach is needed. For example, I use a 300/4L IS a lot, handheld. To get the same framing with 5DIII, I'd have to get out my 500/4 IS and a tripod to put it on. FF lenses, especially teles, are necesssarily much larger, heavier and more expensive.

On the other hand one of the FF cameras would be my choice when wide angle is needed, or for portraiture where I want more more precise control over DOF. If I'm going to be printing big.... really big (larger than 16x20, say)... I'd prefer to use a FF camera.

We all have our own opinions about noise in images... IMO 7D can easily be used to ISO 1600, or even higher with a little post-processing (see Teamspeed's treatise here on POTN about high ISO work with 7D). In comparison, 5DII can do 3200 and 5DIII can do 6400 about equally well.

7D actually is noisier at low ISOs than earlier APS-C models... below 400. I think Canon has the camera turn off NR at anything under 400. It's easy enough to apply some light NR in post-processing, though.

7D is a bit sensitive to camera shake... According to Canon probably because of the density of photo sites on the sensor. Best to use a bit higher ISO to keep shutter speeds up a little more than you might with some other cameras. I try to double the 1/focal length rule, when possible.

7D can use all EF/full frame and all EF-S/crop only lenses.

5DIII and all FF cameras are limited to only EF/full frame (granted, there are a lot of those to choose among).

7D has higher frame rate and the best AF system Canon has ever put into an APS-C camera (and I am really looking forward to the 7D Mark II, which should come out next year at the latest).

At current prices I can buy two new 7D, or one new 5DIII. I'd rather put my money toward lenses, any day.... Lenses will make mcuh more difference in my images, than the camera they're used upon.

Both 5DIII and 7D are fine cameras. Neither "kicks the other's butt" or "blows the other one out of the water". They fulfill somewhat different purposes, though the lines are getting blurred more now. 5DIII is three full years and at least one full technological generation newer. Aside from the most dramatic upgrade to it's AF system, 5DIII has a much improved Micro Adjust system. I also really like the dual joysticks it offers, when fitted with the battery grip.

I'd take the 5D3 any day, its an amazing camera, but you gotta pay to play

I wouldn't... and didn't. But then again I see from your signature that you actually didn't either. Sounds like FF envy to me. ;)

Shoot with what you got! Today's crop cameras are amazingly good and capable... even a 4 year old model like 7D. And a "camera upgrade" doesn't necessarily mean better images. Most people will never get full capability out of a cropper, let alone a FF.

Alan Myers (external link) "Walk softly and carry a big lens."
5DII, 7DII(x2), 7D(x2) & other cameras. 10-22mm, Tokina 12-24/4, 20/2.8, TS 24/3.5L, 24-70/2.8L, 28/1.8, 28-135 IS (x2), TS 45/2.8, 50/1.4, Tamron 60/2.0, 70-200/4L IS, 70-200/2.8 IS, 85/1.8, Tamron 90/2.5 Macro, 100/2.8 USM, 100-400L II, 135/2L, 180/3.5L, 300/4L IS (x2), 300/2.8L IS, 500/4L IS, EF 1.4X II, EF 2X II. Flashes, studio strobes & various access. - FLICKR (external link) - ZENFOLIO (external link)

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,730 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 27, 2013 16:21 |  #64

I have both. I use my 7D for most sports and birding. I shot a football game with my 7D at ISO 12800. I little NR and it came out great. I have no issue shooting weddings at 1600 to as high as 3200 if I have to.

The 7D sensor is light hungry. As long as you expose correctly. I have see outstanding examples at ISO 6400 with the 7D.

I was shooting formals with my FF and looked over at the bride who was sitting to my left. I grabbed my 7D and shot. I bounced but did not have enough +FEC as I did not want to miss the moment.

ISO 1600 a little underexposed

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i33.photobucket​.com …s/d74/Zenon1/be​fore-1.jpg (external link)

A little PS magic

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i33.photobucket​.com …s/d74/Zenon1/_M​G_0407.jpg (external link)

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

aladyforty
Goldmember
4,149 posts
Gallery: 270 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Dec 2005

Sep 27, 2013 19:26 |  #65

amfoto1 wrote in post #16329433 (external link)
First of all, 7D is not any smaller or significantly lighter than either 5DII or III. In fact it's heavier than 5DII and only afew grams lighter than 5DIII.

For sports/action, I use a pair of 7D. I'll upgrade to 7D Mark II when it comes out.

For landscapes, portraits, low light and some macro I use a 5DII. It's about one stop better than 7D in low light.

I have not upgraded to 5DIII... don't need to, because I use the 7Ds. If I could only have one camera, it might be a 5DIII, since the AF system is so improved and now capable of action/sports. On the other hand, I do a lot of telephoto work, so if I could only have one, it would most likely still be a cropper.

7D has more than double the photo sites per square mm of 5DII or 5DIII. About 54,000 compared to around 24,000. If you were to crop an image from 5DII or III down to match 7D's sensor size, you'd have about an 8 or 9MP image. Compared to 18MP with 7D. 7D "puts more pixels on target", so is a better choice when telephoto reach is needed. For example, I use a 300/4L IS a lot, handheld. To get the same framing with 5DIII, I'd have to get out my 500/4 IS and a tripod to put it on. FF lenses, especially teles, are necesssarily much larger, heavier and more expensive.

On the other hand one of the FF cameras would be my choice when wide angle is needed, or for portraiture where I want more more precise control over DOF. If I'm going to be printing big.... really big (larger than 16x20, say)... I'd prefer to use a FF camera.

We all have our own opinions about noise in images... IMO 7D can easily be used to ISO 1600, or even higher with a little post-processing (see Teamspeed's treatise here on POTN about high ISO work with 7D). In comparison, 5DII can do 3200 and 5DIII can do 6400 about equally well.

7D actually is noisier at low ISOs than earlier APS-C models... below 400. I think Canon has the camera turn off NR at anything under 400. It's easy enough to apply some light NR in post-processing, though.

7D is a bit sensitive to camera shake... According to Canon probably because of the density of photo sites on the sensor. Best to use a bit higher ISO to keep shutter speeds up a little more than you might with some other cameras. I try to double the 1/focal length rule, when possible.

7D can use all EF/full frame and all EF-S/crop only lenses.

5DIII and all FF cameras are limited to only EF/full frame (granted, there are a lot of those to choose among).

7D has higher frame rate and the best AF system Canon has ever put into an APS-C camera (and I am really looking forward to the 7D Mark II, which should come out next year at the latest).

At current prices I can buy two new 7D, or one new 5DIII. I'd rather put my money toward lenses, any day.... Lenses will make mcuh more difference in my images, than the camera they're used upon.

Both 5DIII and 7D are fine cameras. Neither "kicks the other's butt" or "blows the other one out of the water". They fulfill somewhat different purposes, though the lines are getting blurred more now. 5DIII is three full years and at least one full technological generation newer. Aside from the most dramatic upgrade to it's AF system, 5DIII has a much improved Micro Adjust system. I also really like the dual joysticks it offers, when fitted with the battery grip.

I wouldn't... and didn't. But then again I see from your signature that you actually didn't either. Sounds like FF envy to me. ;)

Shoot with what you got! Today's crop cameras are amazingly good and capable... even a 4 year old model like 7D. And a "camera upgrade" doesn't necessarily mean better images. Most people will never get full capability out of a cropper, let alone a FF.

This is most sensible post I've seen for ages.

I have the 7D and 5DII and up until recently have had a love hate relationship with my 7D and had considered an upgrade to the 5DIII as my only camera...then I got light-room and have started to really like the 7D and the reach for wildlife. After doing a long of searching on flickr I found the best wildlife/bird photography on there apart from the higher 1D series camera was with the 7D...those taken with 5DIII don't seem as good even with all the talk that 5DIII can replace a cropper for wildlife, maybe it can with a much more expensive lens. Because I do a lot of bird photography and my longest focal length lens is 400 I have decided to keep the 7D until the 7DII comes out. 5DII does just as good a job as 5DIII for portraits and landscape.

If I have to take a camera out not knowing what I will be photographing, its the 7D as it does it all plus has great reach capability

5D3 7D2 Canon G1X Fuji X100 Fuji X10 canon glass & the odd other brands https://500px.com/alad​yforty (external link)
My youtube channel https://www.youtube.co​m …wlc4zg?view_as=​subscriber (external link)

flashpoint99
411 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Sep 27, 2013 19:46 |  #66

I use a 7d with a 70-200 2.8 ii for dance comps. Lighting at these comps are terrible like most of these types of venues. A normal setting would be ISO 1600 @ 1/400 ss aperature 2.8 in order to get a nice shot. I love the 7d but am struggling with the decision to purchase a 5d mrk III for its ISO and low noise performance. The ability to up the ISO would allow me to increase my ss above 1/500 stopping the action better and close down my aperature for better DOF
But are those things worth 3k ? Not sure. I will rent first.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
36,997 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Sep 27, 2013 20:35 |  #67

7D at ISO 1600 shouldn't pose any problem at all?

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Sep 27, 2013 20:53 |  #68

Hogloff wrote in post #16323835 (external link)
Really? When I shoot events, I use both. 5d2 and 7d. The 5d2 has a 35 1.4 and the 7d had a 135L. If I need a wide angle shot, I reach for the 5d2. If I need some reach, it's the 7d. No confusion at all.

I like the bodies to match 100%. This way you just grab depending on the lens and be done. But it's a personal thing.

National Sarcasm Society. Like we need your support.

aladyforty
Goldmember
4,149 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Sep 27, 2013 21:58 |  #69

DocFrankenstein wrote in post #16330337 (external link)
I like the bodies to match 100%. This way you just grab depending on the lens and be done. But it's a personal thing.

I shot a wedding recently, second shooter had a 7D and a 600D on the go and I had 5DII and 1DIII and once I edited all shots, I have to look at the data to pick which shot was taken with which camera...really don't have an issue

5D3 7D2 Canon G1X Fuji X100 Fuji X10 canon glass & the odd other brands https://500px.com/alad​yforty (external link)
My youtube channel https://www.youtube.co​m …wlc4zg?view_as=​subscriber (external link)

DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Sep 27, 2013 22:27 |  #70

aladyforty wrote in post #16330416 (external link)
I shot a wedding recently, second shooter had a 7D and a 600D on the go and I had 5DII and 1DIII and once I edited all shots, I have to look at the data to pick which shot was taken with which camera...really don't have an issue

Image quality will be the same. I'm not talking about that.

It's just interface differences and button placement preferences.

National Sarcasm Society. Like we need your support.

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
19,434 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 27, 2013 22:49 |  #71

DocFrankenstein wrote in post #16330468 (external link)
Image quality will be the same. I'm not talking about that.

It's just interface differences and button placement preferences.

Same here. Had 5dmk3 and recently got 6d. Well it is nice but not for active kids. Got back 5dmk3 and now finding hard going back/forth. If I was doing weddings as a pro I would have two identical bodies. Cost of a nice FF is small IMHO in bigger picture.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

aladyforty
Goldmember
4,149 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Sep 27, 2013 23:07 |  #72

maybe Im just dexterous (not sure on the spelling there ) :-)

topdslrs
98 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Sep 28, 2013 05:28 |  #73

" I have to look at the data to pick which shot was taken with which camera.."
Nooooo! Why did you have to look at the data? :)

Try our DSLR Simulator (external link)
TOPDSLRS.COM (external link)

aladyforty
Goldmember
4,149 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Sep 28, 2013 06:37 |  #74

topdslrs wrote in post #16330872 (external link)
" I have to look at the data to pick which shot was taken with which camera.."
Nooooo! Why did you have to look at the data? :)

because they are processed so alike and the quality is similar once edited, maybe I should have said metadata, is that what its called:D

Stone ­ 13
Goldmember
1,690 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Sep 28, 2013 07:01 |  #75

I currently own both and I'm enjoying the cleaner files of the 5DIII at ISO 1600+, they're just easier to work with IMO.

However, after shooting both for a few weeks, I still come away impressed at the performance of my 7D and I'm having second thoughts about selling it. The 7D has it's "quirks" but it's really a fantastic camera even 4 years later.

Ken
Fujifilm X100T | 5D III gripped |35L | 24-70 2.8L II | 70-200 2.8L IS II | 85 1.8 | 430 EX II | Yongnuo YN-568EX | Billingham 445 | Think Tank UD 60 |

sponsored links

8,497 views & 0 likes for this thread
5D 3 vs 7d?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.