Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 27 Sep 2013 (Friday) 20:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Help me understand: Einsteins and action stopping at 10fps

aliengin
Goldmember
1,159 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Sep 27, 2013 20:59 |  #1

OK< I was playing around with the flashes and today found this article:
http://www.robgalbrait​h.com …37.html?cid=7-10053-10715 (external link)
Go below on the page where the 10fps at 80watts freezes the action. So my understanding anything faster than 1/250 shutter speed requires full power. I was able to shoot at 1/8000 during daylight but it was full power.
How does the author fires at 10 fps with 80watts? Does he able to freeze the action at 1/250 standard flash sync speed?
I am using Flex TT1 and MC2 on Einstein

Ali Engin Photography (external link)

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,083 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Sep 27, 2013 22:26 |  #2

The lower power Action mode images are all shot at shutter speeds below sync speed. In that situation its the flash duration that stops the action rather than the shutter speed.

Put your camera into motor drive mode, set the shutter at or near x-sync speed, make sure you have the light situated so that 80Ws is sufficient to light the subject then start the subject moving and hold down the trigger. The resulting images will be similar to those in the article.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

BTNorris
212 posts
Joined May 2005

Sep 28, 2013 00:12 as a reply to  @ dmward's post |  #3

My Einstein can keep up with my 7d up to 60WS in bursts of 5-6 in "H" mode. This was not scientific - but higher WS caused subsequent frames to be progressively underexposed. I did not test beyond 6 exposures, so I don't know if it would keep up longer or not.

From the article: "To fire in time with the EOS-1D Mark IV at 10fps, for example, the maximum power you can dial in is about 20ws."

Keep in mind that to stop motion with flash duration, the ambient light needs to have minimal or no contribution to your subjuct's exposure.

I trigger with the CyberCommander and have had no luck with syper-syncing. Beyond 1/320 there's a major black band with no ambient contribution.

7D, 17-55, 50 1.4, 70-200, 10-22, Kenko Tubes, OPTIX xr, Einstein

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

854 views & 0 likes for this thread
Help me understand: Einsteins and action stopping at 10fps
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.