Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 26 Sep 2013 (Thursday) 05:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Did something real stupid and will admit it

Tom ­ Reichner
"That's what I do."
16,042 posts
Gallery: 180 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2008
Location: from Pennsylvania, now in Washington state, road trip back and forth a lot, with extensive detouring

Sep 26, 2013 12:01 |  #16

I carry an extra 5D/50D battery in my pants pocket on an everyday basis, and have done so for years . . . and I always have a lot of pocket change in that pocket. I never even thought about the potential danger of the batteries shorting out. I guess I'd better start to find a better way to always have a spare battery handy, or I'll end up in flames!

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

sponsored links
Snafoo
Goldmember
1,431 posts
Gallery: 92 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Feb 2011

Sep 26, 2013 16:07 |  #17

Samgoit wrote in post #16326376 (external link)
Hot Pocket!

One of my favorite products:

http://www.amazon.com …-6&keywords=battery+cad​dy (external link)

Yup. That's what I use.

http://www.jonstot.com​/ (external link)

Firemike
" lingering odor "
3,655 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Sep 26, 2013 17:26 |  #18

Been there... Done that! Learned the hard way too.

I use the same Store-A-Cells that Samgoit uses, same way too, upright they are good, upside down they are discharged. I have about a dozen or so for different sized batteries, can beat them.

Michael
Gear List

Luxornv
223 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Sep 28, 2013 02:25 |  #19

The plastic insert that comes with some batteries also works well for insulating the terminals from shorting. I thought it was trash and left it in the box when I got everything. However, I discovered it would be useful due to the regulations when flying a few months ago.

Canon Rebel T3i - 18-55mm Kit lens- Canon 75-300mm f/4-5.6 - Rokinon 8mm Fish Eye - Canon 40mm f/2.8 Pancake - Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM

Owain ­ Shaw
Some of my best friends are people.
2,551 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 28, 2013 03:42 |  #20

I heard about this in Physics at school but had forgotten ... I don't carry loose change but I did recently put some batteries loose in a jacket pocket at a wedding - I needed to change them out of the flash and keep shooting. Worth being reminded to be careful with them, we get used to thinking they're harmless little things ...

| New website. (external link) |
| Gear | Flickr (external link) |

Biffbradford
Goldmember
2,784 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Jul 2008

Sep 28, 2013 09:14 |  #21

Happened to me once too. Caught it when the battery was just warm though. Live and learn!

My pictures: John Wilke Photography (external link), Flikr (external link) , Facebook (external link), Fine Arts America (external link), Canon 1D MkII N, 1D MkIII, various Canon and Tokina lenses. :D

Colin ­ Glover
Goldmember
1,376 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Aug 2012

Sep 29, 2013 19:24 |  #22

I usually have 1 or 2 sets of NIMH 2500 on their own in a pocket of my Fuji HS20 camera's case. Nothing else, just those batteries. I take it that's a risk too, or do you need metal inbetween?

Canon EOS 70D, Canon EOS 600D, EF-S 18-55 ii, EF 55-200 USM ii, EF-S 75-300 iii, Tamron 28-80, Sigma 70-210. Pentax 50mm, Pentax 135mm, EF-S 55-250, Raynox Macro adapter, Neewer filters (CPL, UV, FLD & ND4), Fuji HS20 EXR (30X zoom ) & cable release, Yongnuo 560 iii & Luxon 9800A manual flashguns for the Fuji, Hama Star 63 tripod, Hongdek RC-6 remote control, Velbon DF 40 www.point-n-shoot.co.uk website.

ejenner
Goldmember
3,867 posts
Gallery: 98 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Sep 29, 2013 20:05 |  #23

Colin Glover wrote in post #16334254 (external link)
I usually have 1 or 2 sets of NIMH 2500 on their own in a pocket of my Fuji HS20 camera's case. Nothing else, just those batteries. I take it that's a risk too, or do you need metal inbetween?

I've never had a problem with just batteries. Hard to see how you'd short them without something conductive to connect the +ve to the -ve terminals.

Edward Jenner
5DIV, M6, GX1 II, Sig15mm FE, 16-35 F4,TS-E 17, TS-E 24, 35 f2 IS, M11-22, M18-150 ,24-105, T45 1.8VC, 70-200 f4 IS, 70-200 2.8 vII, Sig 85 1.4, 100L, 135L, 400DOII.
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/48305795@N03/ (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/edward.jenner.372/p​hotos (external link)

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
56,279 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 29, 2013 20:05 |  #24

Colin Glover wrote in post #16334254 (external link)

You need a piece of conductive material of low resistance that makes contact with both the positive and negative terminal for some length of time.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

Preeb
Goldmember
2,646 posts
Gallery: 134 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2011

Sep 30, 2013 10:07 |  #25

Luxornv wrote in post #16330749 (external link)
The plastic insert that comes with some batteries also works well for insulating the terminals from shorting. I thought it was trash and left it in the box when I got everything. However, I discovered it would be useful due to the regulations when flying a few months ago.

This^^

I always keep my spare battery with the plastic keeper in place. It protects the terminals from possible damage and ensures that nothing will close the connection across the terminals.

Rick
6D Mark II - EF 17-40 f4 L -- EF 100mm f2.8 L IS Macro -- EF 70-200 f4 L IS w/1.4 II TC

reneefk
217 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Sep 30, 2013 12:28 |  #26

Dang it, I'm gonna stop reading these boards. Every time I do I end up spending $$ on stuff I didn't know I needed. At least I had points on my Amazon card and the battery holder is one of the cheaper things I have bought :P

digital ­ paradise
I still have 8 digits left
17,463 posts
Gallery: 125 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 30, 2013 22:32 |  #27

I use this style. They come in packs of clear and red. Clear good - red spent.

http://www.batteriesin​aflash.com …-holds-4-aa-aaa-batteries (external link)

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

Tzetsin
197 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Oct 01, 2013 00:49 |  #28

I've had that happen too. You sure look like a fool when you're sitting there listening to someone talk and then explode into action by trying to drag everything in your pocket out in fits of what must look like a seizure of some kind ;D

incidentally... I still carry batts in my pocket... but i put the change in the other one. And no, I don't forget sometimes! I still think about it every time I dump a set in there.

Canon camera, Canon lenses.

sponsored links

4,098 views & 0 likes for this thread
Did something real stupid and will admit it
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.