Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 19 Sep 2013 (Thursday) 10:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

The Nokia 1020 switch

aquaforester
886 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2011

Sep 19, 2013 10:42 |  #1

It's time for an upgrade and I'm curious how is switching to the 1020 simply for the camera specs. I've looked at a few reviews and the pics didn't look significantly better than what one would achieve from an iphone 5 (iphone 5s improved), etc. Is the 41 MP camera on the 1020, more fluff and probably wouldn't really be that useful in the way most camera pics are used? Anyone on the fence about sticking with iphone or changing.

Flickr (external link)

Current Gear
Canon 60D, 10-18, 24 Pancake, 60 macro, 70-200 F4

sponsored links
rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 21, 2013 10:39 |  #2

What are you upgrading from? and how happy are you with it?

I've read it takes 2 photos when you push the button, one at 5mp and another at over 30mp, how much over 30mp differs depending on what you read. The camera app gives you control over things you don't normally find in a phone; ISO, shutter speed, exposure. It's got good image stabilization. Keep in mind what you're buying is a year old Nokia Lumia 920 with an interesting camera on the back - and a Windows phone. If apps are important, Windows phones have access to about 160k of them, a drop in the bucket compared to the Apple offerings. Last time I looked the popular Instragram and Vine were not available.

Me? I'm sticking with iPhone, I drank the kool-aid and am pretty well hooked into the Apple ecosystem of "stuff, crap" or whatever you want to call it. If you want a high MP camera, pick up a Nikon d800.

aquaforester
THREAD ­ STARTER
886 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Sep 21, 2013 12:13 |  #3

Thanks for the response. I'm currently with an iphone 5 and pretty happy, but for the most part I don't use a ton of apps so I was trying to find out if the camera was really all it was cracked up to be or should I just upgrade to the 5s. Certainly not looking to replace my SLR, but if not a marked improvement from the iphone camera then I would pass on the Nokia quite easily.

Flickr (external link)

Current Gear

PerfectTan
440 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 21, 2013 18:25 |  #4

I am an amateur photographer, and have Canon 5D2. Occasionally, I just don't want to lug my heavy camera around. I love my Nokia L1020, a replacement for my DSLR when needed.
Enjoy this link. He has some great tips
http://onlyfoolsandmob​iles.com …th-the-lumia-1020-camera/ (external link)

My Gear: Do you really want to know?

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 22, 2013 09:02 |  #5

Found this article this am, they tested a few of them including the Nokia you're looking at.

http://www.nbcnews.com …ff-competition-4B11218947 (external link)

The Nokia won the outdoor test by so much that it seemed unfair. Beyond producing superior color reproduction, detail and background blur, Nokia's Pro Camera app also saves a high-resolution file that could compete with a shot from my DSLR, quality-wise. The iPhone 5S didn't come close to the Nokia in this situation, but it was definitely better than all the other competitors.

aquaforester
THREAD ­ STARTER
886 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Sep 22, 2013 11:40 |  #6

Thanks so much guys for the feedback and links. Going to give all a good read!

Flickr (external link)

Current Gear

Jay-Bird
804 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Sep 25, 2013 15:32 |  #7

I am switching from an iPhone 5 to a Nokia lumia 928. I don't like the new IOS 7 update. Sadly no 41 megapixels but it still has a nice camera.

Facebook:https://www.facebook.c​om/ZeroedInPhotography (external link)
http://www.zeroedinpho​tography.wordpress.com (external link)

bishop13
559 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 25, 2013 17:00 as a reply to  @ Jay-Bird's post |  #8

I've had my 1020 for a few weeks now and absolutely love it. Let me qualify that statement by saying that, like rick_reno drinking the Apple Kool-Aid, I am pretty heavily invested in the MS ecosystem (Surface tablet, SkyDrive, Win8, etc., etc.) and have been using the Windows Phone platform since version 7.

The camera is fantastic, especially when coupled with the optional camera grip. So much so that I've started leaving my 40D at home. The flexibility of dialing in settings manually is also a plus, though I use it rarely. Now, does it produce DSLR quality images? My gut says no, but it may just be a perception thing. I think the next time I do a shoot, I will take a few shots using the 1020, mix up the images, then see if I can tell a difference. A quirk that isn't discussed much is that you'll need manually extract the high resolution file from the phone, even if it's set to auto-synchronize to SkyDrive, by plugging it in to your computer and using File Explorer. The AT&T Locker app does upload the full sized file to their servers, but it's a slow and clunky process.

Here's a full-sized image I took at the Cajon Pass/Mormon Rocks the weekend after I bought it: https://app.box.com/s/​5frwzi5lgqgas538tf4t (external link)

Yes, the app store isn't as well stocked as iTunes or Google Play, but isn't too shabby either. There are plenty of 3rd party solutions to things like Instagram (Instance) or Vine (6sec) where there is no official support.

Gear List

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 26, 2013 00:49 |  #9

^that's a nice shot.

PerfectTan
440 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 26, 2013 20:57 |  #10

^^That's indeed a nice shot!

phantelope
Goldmember
1,889 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2008

Sep 26, 2013 21:08 |  #11

I don't think the "improvements" of the 5s warrant an upgrade from the 5 you have. I'm gonna sit this one out, not worth the money. The 5 takes nice pictures, I have apps with all the controls one would want on such a thing. I'd invest the money in a new lens or other gear for your real camera. Then see what the 6 will do, which is probably already designed and more or less ready to go to the production lines anyway.

I'd never buy a windows phone or anything windows, I'm so happy to be away from Microsoft for a good decade now. YMMV, just my 2ct

40D, 5D3, a bunch of lenses and other things :cool:

PerfectTan
440 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 27, 2013 15:39 |  #12

Amazing shots straight from the camera, no post progressing needed.
Truly an amazing camera that compatible with his Nikon D800.
http://pureviewclub.co​m/2013/17694#more-17694 (external link)

“I treat my Lumia 1020 the same way I do with my professional Nikon D800 DSLR camera. I always shoot with a tripod, always use the Shutter Delay to avoid camera shake when you press the shutter button (on the screen or mechanical).

When needed (in low light and low contrast situation), I focus manually, and set the White Balance. I also always set the ISO to 100, which will produce minimal noise on the picture. And I always use Auto EV bracketing, which will them allow be to use a post processing method called ‘Digital Blending’, which will allow me to create images with a very high dynamic range.”

aquaforester
THREAD ­ STARTER
886 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Sep 27, 2013 16:39 |  #13

I looked at his flickr accont and WOW. Some of those shots don't even look real. Amazing stuff.
The one's taken with the 1020 are pretty impressive as well.

Flickr (external link)

Current Gear

Jericobot
Cream of the Crop
5,128 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Sep 27, 2013 16:42 |  #14

My friend got his wife the 1020 with the aftermarket camera style grip with a shutter button on it. The pics were way better than I anticipated. As far as the phone was... ehh. Windows mobile still looks very nice and it's very smooth and stable but not for me (iOS and Android user)

α7ii + (batis 25 f2 / zeiss 55 f1,8 / macro 90 f2,8)
♥ ♦ ♣ ♠

Luxornv
223 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Sep 28, 2013 10:35 |  #15

I just bought a 1020 yesterday because of the camera. I had a 2 year old Samsung Galaxy S and was looking to upgrade. Nothing with the Android OS really grabbed me all that much. I did check to see if the apps I use were available in Windows Phone apps, and most of them were.

I haven't had a chance to really test out the camera yet. Maybe I'll take a few shots today. I did open the app though and I was impressed that it was flaunting manual. So far I like the phone, and I'm anticipating that this may be able to replace my point and shoot camera in most capacities.

Canon Rebel T3i - 18-55mm Kit lens- Canon 75-300mm f/4-5.6 - Rokinon 8mm Fish Eye - Canon 40mm f/2.8 Pancake - Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM

sponsored links

5,198 views & 0 likes for this thread
The Nokia 1020 switch
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.