Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 27 Sep 2013 (Friday) 17:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Yet another "How do you achieve this look" post...

faizanrashid
218 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Sep 27, 2013 17:25 |  #1

Hi,

I've been obsessed with taking photos of my son since he was born and have always wanted to achieve the look of this very talented photographer pair (I think they are on the forum as well, since I first visited their site based on a link I came across in one of the threads). Here is one of their best pages:

http://www.meninenuotr​auka.lt/lt/family/2011​/Darija_2011/ (external link)

I have tried to come up with a similar style when shooting my son Adam, especially when we visited Europe a couple of times last year, but while they have been good, they have never been on par with the images on that link. Photographer abilities not withstanding, what do you think I would have to do to process my images this way? What I love best about the photos on the link given are the absolute clarity and detail. Do you think they are using a full frame camera (I use a 7D at the moment)? Exclusively prime lenses? A certain type of processing. It is impossible that the photo is this good SOOTC...

Here are some of my recent attempts:

Adam Park:

IMAGE: https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-wUfv1jb75Dk/TtJxkQAcCUI/AAAAAAAAA1w/D1vO5hYPDMQ/w883-h619-no/Adam_Park.jpg

Adam Avignon:
IMAGE: https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-AK3AvYVWrtc/UBvGwCb6LVI/AAAAAAAAA_8/r8J58h0QaOM/w1024-h1024-no/Adam_Avignon_Pram.jpg

Adam Berlin:
IMAGE: https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-hPDcER4W1u0/UTJoiFSJ64I/AAAAAAAABEM/vDOxisNVkqo/w929-h619-no/IMG_7110_edited_resized.jpg

Adam Nahda:
IMAGE: https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-B19ANfVQ-mc/UkS8qXcr9mI/AAAAAAAABK4/sv8mnZAnHUQ/w1024-h1024-no/Adam_Nahda.jpg

Adam Hamburg:
IMAGE: https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-RQI9m0t2aNg/UkYEYa-3s4I/AAAAAAAABLw/qXbGMCtom2Q/w1024-h1024-no/Adam_Hamburg.jpg

Adam Hamburg 2:
IMAGE: https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-i3xS5Ra6Rgs/UkYEeJpv94I/AAAAAAAABME/vVKOGJv-rAo/w928-h619-no/Adam_Hamburg_2.jpg

Adam Lake:
IMAGE: https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-_BbnKjuYTLQ/UkYEc3rznzI/AAAAAAAABL8/umnTrV2ilC0/w928-h619-no/Adam_Lake.jpg

Adam Stairs:
IMAGE: https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-FA4pBMbbGHI/UkYEnA_8pWI/AAAAAAAABMU/FsNcpfhebUU/w928-h619-no/Adam_stairs.jpg

My Flickr Photostream (external link)
My 5∞px Page (external link)

sponsored links
faizanrashid
THREAD ­ STARTER
218 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Sep 28, 2013 07:19 |  #2

Perhaps I wasn't too clear in terms of what I requested?

What I'm looking for is how to achieve the same level of clarity, contrast and sharpness. I don't think the images I've posted are anywhere close to having the same amount of pop in them. Is this a post-processing technique that I'm not aware of? I realise a large proportion of the images on that link are shot wide open (as I have tried to do as well), but mine just don't have the same appeal. I wish it were possible to see a before/after comparison of those images too.

Any tips would be appreciated.

CanongLass
112 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2012

Sep 28, 2013 10:42 |  #3

I have seen photos from popular photographers before processing and they lacked the pop. After processing the images are stunning. The images in the links have been processed. Your photos would be much improved with adjustments (exposure and dodge and burn) and using blur technique to give the DOF look you want.

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,422 posts
Gallery: 217 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Jan 2010

Sep 28, 2013 11:09 |  #4

Most all of the images you linked to looked to have been shot during golden hour with the sun at the childs back. Possibly using light fill flash and exposing to slightly overexpose the skin. I don't see that in the images you posted. The tone curve will have a lot to do with it as well.

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

nittaya
122 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Sep 28, 2013 11:43 |  #5

jlf_200290717 wrote in post #16331270 (external link)
I have seen photos from popular photographers before processing and they lacked the pop. After processing the images are stunning. The images in the links have been processed. Your photos would be much improved with adjustments (exposure and dodge and burn) and using blur technique to give the DOF look you want.

i agree. dodge and burning gives depth to a picture.

faizanrashid
THREAD ­ STARTER
218 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Sep 28, 2013 12:19 |  #6

Thanks for chipping in everyone. My images are processed as well, but not very heavily. My usual workflow (working with the RAW) has me correct the exposure and temperature, followed by curves/levels, colour balance and then saturation followed finally by some light sharpening. I've heard a lot about dodging and burning but my only experience with it is using the dodging and burning brushes in CS5. I know there are other more advanced techniques but I've never used them because I could never understand their utility (dodge what? burning what? why?). I don't necessarily want an inorganic look, but something that offers more oomph or pop, like the images I've linked to. I don't think it's all processing either. I suspect (but could be wrong) that the lenses used (high quality primes such as 85 1.2) + an a full frame camera would possible aid in making the process less dependent on post processing (I know I am generalizing, but I have a hunch it helps).

The images I've posted of my son were shot at all times of the day, some during golden hour (images 1, 4 and 7). I don't necessarily use studio lights outdoor and don't think I used fill flash on any of these because I didn't think it was required, but perhaps I might have underestimated. If anyone wants to have a go at the images I've posted, please feel free to do so.

faizanrashid
THREAD ­ STARTER
218 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Sep 28, 2013 13:36 |  #7

Like a true obsessive stalker, I managed to find the person here on POTN (I knew I saw their site first from a link they posted). Here is their profile and they seem like a professional wedding photographer:

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/member.p​hp?u=124002

In one of their threads from a few years ago, they have mentioned that they work with a Nikon D3 and use 50 1.4 and 85 1.4 (not saying that gear makes the photo, but it goes in line with my theory that generally, full frame and the right lens combo make it easier for a person to get the pop without relying on extensive editing).

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,422 posts
Gallery: 217 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Jan 2010

Sep 28, 2013 13:52 |  #8

faizanrashid wrote in post #16331425 (external link)
Thanks for chipping in everyone. My images are processed as well, but not very heavily. My usual workflow (working with the RAW) has me correct the exposure and temperature, followed by curves/levels, colour balance and then saturation followed finally by some light sharpening. I've heard a lot about dodging and burning but my only experience with it is using the dodging and burning brushes in CS5. I know there are other more advanced techniques but I've never used them because I could never understand their utility (dodge what? burning what? why?). I don't necessarily want an inorganic look, but something that offers more oomph or pop, like the images I've linked to. I don't think it's all processing either. I suspect (but could be wrong) that the lenses used (high quality primes such as 85 1.2) + an a full frame camera would possible aid in making the process less dependent on post processing (I know I am generalizing, but I have a hunch it helps).

The images I've posted of my son were shot at all times of the day, some during golden hour (images 1, 4 and 7). I don't necessarily use studio lights outdoor and don't think I used fill flash on any of these because I didn't think it was required, but perhaps I might have underestimated. If anyone wants to have a go at the images I've posted, please feel free to do so.

Getting the right light/time of day is key, but you still need to know how to work with it. Shooting with the sun behind the child turns the sun into a super backlight/hairlight; giving that distinct glow to the hair, while creating that desired softness in the image. The low contrast, hazy glow. A bit of warmth to maintain the afternoon golden hour look helps too. A high pass layer will then pull the fine detail back without adding too much contrast, and the right tone curve will give the brightness without blowing highlights or blocking up shadows. Dodge and burn helps to bring out the subject and tone down highlights, allowing you to focus the viewers eyes on the subject. They may not be doing very much at all to the images, it's hard to know without seeing a before and after.

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

faizanrashid
THREAD ­ STARTER
218 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Sep 28, 2013 14:05 |  #9

Scatterbrained wrote in post #16331574 (external link)
They may not be doing very much at all to the images, it's hard to know without seeing a before and after.

True, which is what I think as well. If you look at their wedding set (over 100 pics in the link here (external link)), there is a superb consistency that which makes me think it would be laborious to extensively edit each and every photo there (I'm sure they are all edited, but not too much).

I've read other threads and they are quite secretive about their technique. Oh well, I guess I will have to spend a few years perfecting my craft. Experience is a great teacher eh?

nittaya
122 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Sep 28, 2013 14:26 as a reply to  @ Scatterbrained's post |  #10

i think when someone especially a professional wedding photographer puts his work for
public display , he will choose his best not the worst pictures for display.so you have to
take this factor in mind. he will definitely use right lighting condition and strobes or
reflectors what ever and spend more time on post processing those picture compared to
to his routine picture.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 28, 2013 14:44 |  #11

faizanrashid wrote in post #16331595 (external link)
True, which is what I think as well. If you look at their wedding set (over 100 pics in the link here (external link)), there is a superb consistency that which makes me think it would be laborious to extensively edit each and every photo there (I'm sure they are all edited, but not too much).

I've read other threads and they are quite secretive about their technique. Oh well, I guess I will have to spend a few years perfecting my craft. Experience is a great teacher eh?

I'm not much of a "people" photographer (as in portraits, weddings, etc)...

But, when it comes to "mastering" that type of photography, well, first, as has been said, mastering the light does come first...

And then, you ask about post-processing. You say "I guess I will have to spend a few years perfecting my craft", and yeah, that applies to both the craft of photography and also the craft of post-processing! Some people have a good "eye" for this type of work and seem to wade into things with great "instincts", but still, it takes a lot of time to just learn how to work with your tools!

By the way, there are a ton of resources on the Web for learning your software!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

faizanrashid
THREAD ­ STARTER
218 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Sep 28, 2013 15:01 |  #12

Tony, you are right, by craft I meant all of it, including the shooting part (as you have pointed out). Practice is what gives you an eye for the right outdoor lighting. I'm not much of a people photographer and generally stay away from using strobes (except bounced flash indoors) but my documenting my sons growth is a personal assignment that I wish to do to the best of my abilities.

Anyway, here is another attempt at the Berlin shot. I took some cues from what everyone here was saying and tried selecting sharpening and a bit of dodging and burning, among other things. Seems better to me, but clearly not "up there" with what I aspire to.

Before

IMG NOTICE: [NOT AN IMAGE URL, NOT RENDERED INLINE]

After:
IMAGE: https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-LWgXFd6QpQY/Ukc-ufY9r3I/AAAAAAAABOA/owMJwe7B3iQ/w800-h619-no/Adam_Berlin_2.jpg

tim
Light Bringer
50,999 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Sep 28, 2013 15:53 |  #13

Very fast glass, perhaps at 85 F1.2, and the light is often behind the subjects giving some flare and a different look. Also they're well composed and almost always shot from the childs waist or chest height, very few from above. It's also a very pretty photogenic little girl - not that I'm saying your son isn't. There seems to be little processing, if there's any it's subtle.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

faizanrashid
THREAD ­ STARTER
218 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Sep 28, 2013 22:09 |  #14

Tim, they have said on another thread that they use the 85 1.4 on a D3 body predominantly, so that certainly helps. Agreed about their perspective (same level as subject, which I have tried to emulate as well) and the natty, highly photogenic girl (my son is no sport, but I try to engage him as best as I can). The processing is certainly subtle, but it's there. It's just expertly done to look so natural and organic.

Thorrulz
Goldmember
3,792 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Jan 2009

Sep 28, 2013 22:55 |  #15

The lighting plays a huge role in the look you want with minimal processing later. I gave it a quick shot with the one photo you had posted that I thought could come close to what you may be trying to achieve in the photos. I don't ever use the lens blur effect in CS6 due to the fact that all my primes can do the narrow dof I would prefer for this type of shot. So before anyone picks my crummy lens blur effort apart be forewarned that I already know I suck at that part.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Flickr (external link)
D800 I Nikon 200 f2 VR 1 I Nikon 200 f2 ED AI-S I Nikon 135 f2 DC I Nikon 28-70 f/2.8 I Nikon 50 f/1.4G I Nikon 85 f/1.8G I Pentax 645D I SMC FA 645 75 F2.8 I SMC FA 645 45-85 F4.5 I SMC FA 645 200 F4
My sister, the professional baker and cake decorator once told me that my camera takes great pics. My reply was that I thought her oven baked great cakes.:lol:

sponsored links

3,295 views & 0 likes for this thread
Yet another "How do you achieve this look" post...
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.