Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 28 Sep 2013 (Saturday) 18:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Can I view images through viewfinder in EOS 7D?

blkgryphon
Mostly Lurking
12 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Sep 28, 2013 18:40 |  #1

I just bought a used EOS 7D, which is a very BIG step up from my last camera. Still, there are a couple of things I'm already missing about my older camera:

1) No articulating or closing LCD screen. I didn't shoot much using the screen, so the articulation thing isn't a huge deal, but how does one keep the thing from getting all smudgy every time you use the camera?

2) I like to review images through the viewfinder more often than through the LCD screen, as it is often too bright outside to get a good view of the screen (I mostly shoot outdoors). I can't find anything in the booklet about how to view images through the viewfinder (what I call "in camera"). Is this not possible with the 7D?

I'm also staggered by how HEAVY this camera is! Thinking my arms/problem neck aren't going to be able to deal with this very well...wondering if a monopod would be a good solution. I usually move around so much when I'm shooting (majority of my subjects are horses and people riding) that I never wanted to have anything like that. Not sure what to do.

Thanks for any advice!

sponsored links
davishammerphoto
70 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Sep 28, 2013 18:46 |  #2

2) No, you cannot review your photos through the viewfinder. Due to the nature of a single lens reflex camera, this isn't possible.

gear
site (external link)

archer1960
Goldmember
4,930 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Sep 28, 2013 18:49 |  #3

blkgryphon wrote in post #16332078 (external link)
I just bought a used EOS 7D, which is a very BIG step up from my last camera. Still, there are a couple of things I'm already missing about my older camera:

1) No articulating or closing LCD screen. I didn't shoot much using the screen, so the articulation thing isn't a huge deal, but how does one keep the thing from getting all smudgy every time you use the camera?

2) I like to review images through the viewfinder more often than through the LCD screen, as it is often too bright outside to get a good view of the screen (I mostly shoot outdoors). I can't find anything in the booklet about how to view images through the viewfinder (what I call "in camera"). Is this not possible with the 7D?

I'm also staggered by how HEAVY this camera is! Thinking my arms/problem neck aren't going to be able to deal with this very well...wondering if a monopod would be a good solution. I usually move around so much when I'm shooting (majority of my subjects are horses and people riding) that I never wanted to have anything like that. Not sure what to do.

Thanks for any advice!

Nope, not with an optical viewfinder like any of the EOS line have. Point & Shoots like the Canon SX50 which have an electronic viewfinder can do this.

Gripped 7D, gripped, full-spectrum modfied T1i (500D), SX50HS, A2E film body, Tamzooka (150-600), Tamron 90mm/2.8 VC (ver 2), Tamron 18-270 VC, Canon FD 100 f/4.0 macro, Canon 24-105 f/4L,Canon EF 200 f/2.8LII, Canon 85 f/1.8, Tamron Adaptall 2 90mmf/2.5 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Canon EX-430 flash, Vivitar DF-383 flash, Astro-Tech AT6RC and Celestron NexStar 102 GT telescopes, various other semi-crappy manual lenses and stuff.

Lucy ­ Brown
303 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Sep 28, 2013 18:55 as a reply to  @ archer1960's post |  #4

Anything outside of the Rebel line is a tank and with a grip they can be very unruly to handle not to mention that you stand out like a sore thumb carrying one. That is the one downside to a pro/semi pro body. Stick a big lens on a gripped body and you are carrying some serious weight. The SL1 is a nice option especially with the 18-55 and 55-250 stm lens's available. I have one along with a 5d3 and I have been carrying it quite a bit more than my 5d3 lately. It certainly isn't a replacement for my 5d3 but is a nice option to have when you want to go lite.

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
8,710 posts
Joined May 2003

Sep 28, 2013 20:08 |  #5

Did you buy this thing without even picking one up and getting the "feel" of the thing?

archer1960
Goldmember
4,930 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Sep 28, 2013 20:11 |  #6

Lucy Brown wrote in post #16332102 (external link)
Anything outside of the Rebel line is a tank and with a grip they can be very unruly to handle not to mention that you stand out like a sore thumb carrying one. That is the one downside to a pro/semi pro body. Stick a big lens on a gripped body and you are carrying some serious weight. The SL1 is a nice option especially with the 18-55 and 55-250 stm lens's available. I have one along with a 5d3 and I have been carrying it quite a bit more than my 5d3 lately. It certainly isn't a replacement for my 5d3 but is a nice option to have when you want to go lite.

I find my Rebel much easier to handle with a grip than it was without, so the grip never comes off any more.

Gripped 7D, gripped, full-spectrum modfied T1i (500D), SX50HS, A2E film body, Tamzooka (150-600), Tamron 90mm/2.8 VC (ver 2), Tamron 18-270 VC, Canon FD 100 f/4.0 macro, Canon 24-105 f/4L,Canon EF 200 f/2.8LII, Canon 85 f/1.8, Tamron Adaptall 2 90mmf/2.5 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Canon EX-430 flash, Vivitar DF-383 flash, Astro-Tech AT6RC and Celestron NexStar 102 GT telescopes, various other semi-crappy manual lenses and stuff.

blkgryphon
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
12 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Sep 28, 2013 20:13 |  #7

John from PA wrote in post #16332209 (external link)
Did you buy this thing without even picking one up and getting the "feel" of the thing?

Yes, I'm afraid I did. I thought I had seen one and lifted it up at Best Buy, but I must have been remembering something else, as I would have remembered the weight of this rhinoceros!

Scott ­ M
Goldmember
3,146 posts
Gallery: 62 photos
Joined May 2008

Sep 28, 2013 20:23 |  #8

blkgryphon wrote in post #16332221 (external link)
Yes, I'm afraid I did. I thought I had seen one and lifted it up at Best Buy, but I must have been remembering something else, as I would have remembered the weight of this rhinoceros!

Time to eat your Wheaties. ;) It's all relative -- the 7D is light weight compared with the 1D line. This summer, I hiked around Glacier N.P. with a 7D + 100-400L on one shoulder, and a 5D3 + 24-105L on the other. You'll get used to the weight.

Photo Gallery (external link)
Gear List

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,416 posts
Gallery: 211 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Jan 2010

Sep 28, 2013 20:30 |  #9

blkgryphon wrote in post #16332078 (external link)

Thanks for any advice!

To clarify a few things:
An optical viewfinder consists of a pentaprism and mirror. There is no electronic screen in the viewfinder, just an LCD overlay for some of the information. You're looking right through the lens, rather than looking at a projection of what's coming off of the sensor.

Do not wear the camera around your neck. Stick one arm through the strap and wear it light a sling. Get a good sling strap like a Black Rapid or a Luma and you'll find that the weight of the camera isn't much of an issue anymore.

If you're having trouble reviewing images on the rear LCD you can always pick up a loupe. You can get a Hoodman Loupe and wear it around your neck so when you need to review your images it's right there. Or you can keep it in a bag; hanging from your belt, strapped to the camera strap, wherever.

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

blkgryphon
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
12 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Sep 28, 2013 20:38 as a reply to  @ Scatterbrained's post |  #10

Thanks for that suggestion, Scatterbrained. I didn't even know there was such a thing as a loupe for this purpose.

Rolfe ­ D. ­ Wolfe
484 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Aug 2011

Sep 28, 2013 20:41 as a reply to  @ Scatterbrained's post |  #11

Curious- what camera did you have before?

And I 2nd the Black Rapid stap. I bought the RS7 and I love it. Hardly notice it and Im comfortable forgetting it's there because I know, no one can rip it off my neck.

Great upgrade!

Support the forums - donate here

Gregg.Siam
Goldmember
2,383 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Sep 28, 2013 20:52 as a reply to  @ Rolfe D. Wolfe's post |  #12

You will find that the weight will not be so noticeable after a little while.

When I added a grip to my 5D3 I thought it was a bit heavy. That sensation went away very quickly. I rented a 70-200 f/2.8 L IS and thought it was heavy....that never went away hahaha :p (but I did get used to it pretty quick)

5D MKIII | 24-105mm f/4 L| 50mm f/1.8 | 600EX-RT [FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=bl​ue][FONT="]|
∞ 500px (external link)
flickr (external link)

georgebowman
Goldmember
1,510 posts
Joined May 2009

Sep 28, 2013 21:23 |  #13

I couldn't agree more about the BlackRapid (BR). I picked one up a couple years back after hearing Scott Kelby talk about it. My neck use to kill me after shooting all day with my 50d. The BR is the best thing since sliced bread. No more neck problems and now I shoot a 7d. The Hoodman is also great tool. You'll be able to view your images in bright sunlight and even use your "live view" feature to focus if you are so moved. Good luck!

My Gear: 7d, XTi, 17-55f2.8 EF-S, 70-200f4L, 28-135 Kit lens, 2-580EXii

blkgryphon
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
12 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Sep 28, 2013 21:51 |  #14

Scott M wrote in post #16332237 (external link)
Time to eat your Wheaties. ;) It's all relative -- the 7D is light weight compared with the 1D line. This summer, I hiked around Glacier N.P. with a 7D + 100-400L on one shoulder, and a 5D3 + 24-105L on the other. You'll get used to the weight.

It's not the weight of carrying it around that is the issue -- it's the actual lifting and holding of the camera when you are shooting. I photographed a two day long event a while back, and just holding my arms up for the better part of two days taking all those shots (nearly 3000) messed up my neck for days. I have chronic problems with my neck and spine, so there's not much I can do about it. I am actually quite strong -- that's not the problem.

peeaanuut
Goldmember
3,554 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Sep 28, 2013 21:56 |  #15

I have found that its not the camera/lens holding itself, its the strap around the neck that is an issue. Get a sling strap and most of that pain should go away on the neck.

Stuff
http://joetakesphotos.​com/ (external link) : | : https://www.facebook.c​om/JKlingPhotos (external link) : | : https://twitter.com/jk​lingphotos (external link)
airbutchie - Joe was definitely right about adding contrast...
:)

sponsored links

2,845 views & 0 likes for this thread
Can I view images through viewfinder in EOS 7D?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.