Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 28 Sep 2013 (Saturday) 16:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Questions about Lightroom 4 to 5, Vista to 7, HDD to SSD

ToddR
766 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Sep 28, 2013 16:07 |  #1

I have a 4.5-year-old computer that currently runs Windows Vista, but I would like to upgrade it to Windows 7 so that I can upgrade to Lightroom 5. LR5 doesn't support Vista. The performance is lacking these days, and it's time for a fresh OS install.

I would do a clean install instead of an upgrade, and also take the opportunity to move to an SSD instead of a conventional hard drive. The two existing (1 TB, 2 TB) drives would remain as storage, while adding a new SSD for the OS and another SSD for Lightroom catalogs, preview cache, and image files for stuff actively being worked on.

Are there any issues with Lightroom installation and licensing that I should be aware of? A bit of Googling suggests that there is no "deactivate" function in Lightroom as there is in several other Adobe apps.

I intend to purchase and download LR5 as an upgrade version. I don't think I ever had a boxed copy of Lightroom. It was apparently version 3 when I started with a full version, and I later updated to 4. All legally acquired from Adobe. How do I demonstrate my upgrade elgibility on a system with no prior Lightroom installed (because of the fresh Windows build)?

I may eventually upgrade my motherboard board, too, as the current one doesn't support SATA rev 3, but despite that, I expect a noticeable improvement in performance by utilizing SSDs.

Gear List

sponsored links
weeatmice
765 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 28, 2013 16:33 |  #2

I don't think you need to worry about deactivation. I've installed lightroom a few times after re-installing a system, then again after switching to Win8. No problems so far.

If your LR5 is an upgrade edition the install asks for another key from version 4 to check eligibility.

Adding SSDs will certainly help. Your top speed might be limited but you'll still see benifits from the seek times. I've put SSDs in older systems at work to give them a boost.

FS: UK: 1D Mark IV.
Twopixel.co.uk (external link) | 500px (external link) | flickr (external link) | Twitter (external link) | Pinterest (external link) |

amonline
Goldmember
3,558 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Sep 28, 2013 20:39 |  #3

You're better off moving to Win8 and using Start8.

LR 5.2 has been the fastest version for me to date; and I've used every version since the initial launch. My concern would be your current CPU specs. The SSD is a no-brainer. I run two myself. I would also be curious what your mobo's specs are. To truly take advantage, you're going to want 6gbs+ for any connected drives; whether they be OS, data, or externals.

As mentioned, the headaches of activation/deactivatio​n really do not apply that much to LR. I've yet to run into any problems in that area. PS is another world altogether. LOL

ToddR
THREAD ­ STARTER
766 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Sep 28, 2013 22:42 |  #4

It has an Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz (external link) CPU on an ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 (external link) mobo. Only has six GB of RAM, though. (Thanks, Newegg, for keeping those hyperlinks in my notes from 2009 functional!)

I am skeptical of Windows 8, though. It wants too hard to be a tablet operating system. I had "custody" of one for several days when I bought one off the shelf at Staples on behalf of a friend who wanted me to install some things on it for him before he picked it up from me. I am very keyboard-centric, too. The things they did in 8 drove me nuts. I know 8.1 is imminent.

I have also been contemplating a completely new build, too. I'm still a little surprised that I somehow figured out how to spec out and assemble this computer four years ago...I'm sort of getting the itch to do it again. My "beater" computer is about eight years old, and I wouldn't mind using the Vista box to replace it.

Still haven't decided if a Haswell i7, like the 4770, would be fully utilized, or overkill. I want Lightroom to scream when I export batches. I don't want to wait five seconds for 100% view to kick in. I don't want to wait several seconds to use various tools. The spot healing/clone thing is almost useless, it's so unresponsive. That problem really worsened for me in LR 4 vs. 3, which I found odd.

Gear List

amonline
Goldmember
3,558 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Sep 29, 2013 11:50 |  #5

http://www.stardock.co​m/products/start8/ (external link)

Takes care of the "tablet" part. ;)

weeatmice
765 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 29, 2013 12:44 |  #6

I like Windows 8 with Start8 or StartisBack also. I find the desktop quite clean visually, all that aero desktop stuff went away. You can totally avoid the Metro start screen if you like and use it just like Windows 7. It was cheap too since MS are so desperate to get people using it after the bad press.

FS: UK: 1D Mark IV.
Twopixel.co.uk (external link) | 500px (external link) | flickr (external link) | Twitter (external link) | Pinterest (external link) |

ToddR
THREAD ­ STARTER
766 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Sep 29, 2013 15:29 |  #7

It is...unfortunate...tha​t people have to turn to third-party software just to restore the functionality of a Start menu. It irks me that Microsoft did that to its users.

Seems like I've heard that Lightroom allows for two installs on its license, such as when someone has their main desktop but might also need to do things on a laptop, etc.

If I built an entirely new machine, could I retain LR 4 on my current box as a fallback and install LR 5 (upgrade version) on the new one? I wouldn't want to get into a build/install situation with no access to do things in LR.

Gear List

Bob_A
Cream of the Crop
8,520 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Jan 2005

Sep 29, 2013 18:13 |  #8

For desktop use get Win 7 64 bit, and if you have applications that only run on XP get Win 7 Pro.

I use Win 8 on my main editing computer and getting it to work like a proper desktop OS (proper IMO) was an awful experience. I like messing with this stuff, which is the only reason I went the Win 8 route for my new build. Windows 7 is a much better OS if you don't want to spend a week messing with third part applications and tweaking. StartIsBack is currently the best way to gat a start menu back, and until Win 8.1 comes out it uses the actual Win 7 start menu that is hidden, but rendered inoperable, by Win 8.

Win 8 has been a disaster for MS, for good reason. They are trying to push their app store so are refusing to make it easy for users to bypass going to the app view. Fortunately with StartIsBack, some registry changes and a few other tweaks you can boot right to desktop, have a Microsoft Win 7 start menu (not an emulation) and get rid of the annoying "charms" popup every time you mouse over to the right hand side of the screen.

There are some slight performance improvements with Win 8 (startup/shutdown, file copying), but nothing significant. The Win 8 folder menus in Explorer are a bit better ... but nothing important for anyone that managed well with XP or Win 7. I don't use search all that much (i.e., RARELY), so could care less how improved it is with Win 8.

For me a huge negative for Win 8 is that there is no XP virtual machine. Kinda stupid IMO since XP support is coming to an end and the many of MS's corporate clients are still using it. Even if MS adjusts Win 8 so that it can run like a proper desktop environment no corporation is going to use it if they are still milking the last bit of life out of XP applications.

I'm also concerned about your CPU spec for LR 5.2. 5.2 is a resource hog and I wasn't satisfied with it's performance using an i7-930 2.8GHz machine with 12 GB RAM and SSD, which is why I upgraded to a i7 4770K, slightly OC'd. I have 32 GB RAM, but 16 is enough.

Bob
SmugMug (external link) | My Gear Ratings | My POTN Gallery

SethWilliams
128 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Sep 29, 2013 21:46 |  #9

You will see an improvement when installing a SSD. Having SATA III helps too. If you don't end up building a new machine, you can buy a PCI card that has SATA III ports on it for less than $20.

5D MK II x2 | 35L f1.4 | 85 f1.8 | 135L f2

ToddR
THREAD ­ STARTER
766 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Sep 30, 2013 14:22 |  #10

Those are good points about Windows 8, but I am still reluctant to mess with it if I can avoid it. ;)

I hadn't considered a PCI card to bring SATA rev 3 into the box. Interesting.

I just took delivery of 25 new computers at work last week that I need to prepare for people. Thank goodness they're Windows 7.

This is one of those little projects (upgrading LR) that threatens to mushroom into a whole new PC. And I should probably add another monitor, too, like the Dell U2312 I see discussed favorably around here. My current Lightroom computer's second display output shares a monitor with my old old daily driver. It has one "good" Dell monitor as its primary display, though.

I've also found it hard to research these custom builds without it being all about high-end gaming rigs. I mean, those sound cool, but I don't need a $400 video card for Lightroom. I want disk performance and LR tool/rendering/export performance.

It sounds like like the newst i7 CPUs have adequate built-in graphics, provided the mobo supports that. But, I probably need a modest $100 graphics card to retain dual monitor capability (preferably two DVI).

Gear List

tim
Light Bringer
51,010 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Oct 01, 2013 00:39 |  #11

Don't encourage Microsoft... stick with 7 pro. The 920 CPU is a little old now, but it should still be ok so long as you're not doing massive volumes at high speed. A new CPU might be what, double the benchmark speed, and 30-40% faster in real life?

6GB RAM is ok, you'll just lose out on RAM cache.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

Bob_A
Cream of the Crop
8,520 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Jan 2005

Oct 01, 2013 01:28 |  #12

Brushes will be really laggy and meta data updates and publishing multiple large galleries at the same time will slow your current machine to a crawl using 5.2. If you don't use brushes, metadata or Publish then you'll be fine. If you do then either stick with 4 or upgrade to an i7 4770 and 16 GB RAM.

PS CS6 is a also big resource hog compared to CS5. Content aware spot healing that worked flawlessly with CS5 is pretty laggy on my old i7 930 box with 16 GB RAM. Frankly it's still a bit slower on my i7 4770K machine oc'd to 4.2 Ghz with 32GB RAM than on my old machine running CS5 ... But the difference isn't that significant.

Bob
SmugMug (external link) | My Gear Ratings | My POTN Gallery

amonline
Goldmember
3,558 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Oct 01, 2013 03:22 |  #13

Win8 is a smaller footprint and hogs less resources. I used to feel the same as Tim about Win7, until I actually set up Win8 properly. No regrets here after all. I definitely saw an improvement in speed in LR on Win8. Never really had a problem with PS ever. (on my specs) However, you'll want to research what others with your final chosen CPU are experiencing as LR5 has been know to be picky on different setups since LR4. That appears to carry over in some cases... mostly Mac though. I'm still rockin' an i7 980X OC'd to 4.4 on 12gb from late 2010 and lovin' it. 5.2 took away brush issues for me... finally.

ToddR
THREAD ­ STARTER
766 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Oct 01, 2013 12:59 |  #14

I wish I had a test box at work or something to play with Win 8 on a bit more before making a move on a home machine.

I have been looking at the i7 4770 as a likely CPU candidate if I do build a fresh box. Probably not the 4770K, which, as I understand it, is more suitable for those interested in overclocking. I haven't experimented with overclocking before. Then again, the prices are close enough ($30) that maybe I would just to retain the option.

I did find a YouTube video the other day that involved cooling a ridiculously overclocked CPU with liquid nitrogen and then liquid helium. But that's probably overkill for a Lightroom rig. :p

Gear List

Nightstalker
Goldmember
1,666 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Oct 01, 2013 15:35 |  #15

As it has been mentioned OVERCLOCKING will bring you the best bang for buck improvement in real life dependant on the other components in the PC.

You should be able to get the 920 to around 4GHZ although you may need to improve the CPU cooling abit.

I currently run a i950 that is overclocked from 3GHZ to 4GHZ and when I did it I was kicking myself for not doing it sooner.

My next build will be a i7 4930K which can be easily OC's from 3.4GHZ to a stable 4.6GHz.

Overclocking is a no-brianer.

sponsored links

4,927 views & 0 likes for this thread
Questions about Lightroom 4 to 5, Vista to 7, HDD to SSD
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.