Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 30 Sep 2013 (Monday) 13:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Had an interesting isue with my 7d this Sat.

flashpoint99
411 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Sep 30, 2013 13:00 |  #1

Had an interesting issue with my 7d this Sat. I was shooting a pop warner football game. I was on the sidelines using my 7d with a 70- 200mm 2.8 II. Kickoff was at 6pm. I was shooting in M..There was still plenty of daylight to keep the ISO @ around 400,stop the action with a SS of over 1000 and use an f stop of f4. Everything was going well and I was getting nice shots. As the first quarter ended the stadium lights came on as the sun began to fade. At that point I decided to change over to Av mode. Thats when things got weird. In Av I could not get a SS over 200. I upped the ISO. stopped down to 2.8 but whatever I did the camera was telling me I was no good. I then swtiched back to M and everything was fine. I had plenty of SS to the point I was able to drop the ISO back down again and maintain a fast SS. I figured at that point I had just made a mistake and again switched over to Av. Same issue. I have shot in Av many times and never had an issue so I figured it had to be a problem with my camera. I shut it off, pulled the battery waited abount a min and powered it back up. Again same issue in Av. Not wanting to miss any action I returned to M and shot the rest of the game without issue. When I got home, I again put the camera on Av and it worked fine. I am stumped as to why the 7D was not working on Av. Any experience with this issue or was it a glitch? Did the stadium lights in concert with the sunset cause an issue with my meter although I dont see how. Stumped!

sponsored links
nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 30, 2013 13:04 |  #2

My guess is that you either had a flash attached, or the pop-up flash was up, or the camera THOUGHT the pop-up flash was up even though it was closed.

Av won't exceed maximum flash shutter sync speed, probably 1/200 on the 7D.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

flashpoint99
THREAD ­ STARTER
411 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Sep 30, 2013 13:17 |  #3

No external flash nor was the pop up flash in the up position .If that were the case the camera never indicated it. I can see an issue if the camera thought the flash was active ,that could explain it. You'd think pulling the batt would reset that fault if that were the case.

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 30, 2013 13:55 |  #4

It could have been a mechanical think instead of an electrical one - like the pop-up flash was closed enough to physically latch but not closed enough for the contacts or microswitch to know it was closed.

I vaguely remember having something like that happen to me before ...something like the flash button got pressed while the pop-up was obstructed, so it didn't open but the camera thought it was open.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
55,352 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 30, 2013 14:07 |  #5

nathancarter wrote in post #16335963 (external link)
Av won't exceed maximum flash shutter sync speed, probably 1/200 on the 7D.

7D has a 1/250th sync speed.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

xchangx
507 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 30, 2013 14:13 |  #6

What metering mode were you using? There is/will be a significant difference between spot and matrix (or whatever you canon guys call it :) )

Nikon D4s / 2x D3s / D3 / 17-35 2.8 / 70-200 2.8 / 600 f4
Freelance sports photographer for Getty Images Sports, Entertainment and News
Freelance sports photographer for Sports Illustrated
My Images with Getty (external link)
My Sportsshooter Page (external link)
My Website (external link)

flashpoint99
THREAD ­ STARTER
411 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Sep 30, 2013 15:47 |  #7

xchangx wrote in post #16336127 (external link)
What metering mode were you using? There is/will be a significant difference between spot and matrix (or whatever you canon guys call it :) )

Used evaluative metering. I did not change metering modes when switching to Av.

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
55,352 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 30, 2013 18:05 |  #8

I don't think metering is going to limit shutter speed.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 30, 2013 18:58 |  #9

If things are now working "fine", well, who knows?

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

sponsored links

1,027 views & 0 likes for this thread
Had an interesting isue with my 7d this Sat.
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.