Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 28 Sep 2013 (Saturday) 23:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Who here uses H&H or BayPhoto pro labs?

GerryDavid
Goldmember
1,802 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2005

Sep 28, 2013 23:34 |  #1

Random question for you all - Who uses H&H and BayPhoto pro labs?

Ive been using WHCC for years, I love them, but their lack of custom options is annoying.

I want to start offering wall clusters/splits, which requires custom print sizes like 11x17, etc. Two labs that offers these are H&H and BayPhoto but I don't have any experience with either lab.

I was hoping to find some with experience with these two labs, to get your feedback on their metal and canvas prints. I don't want to give my clients a sub par product

Canon investor

sponsored links
HBOC
357 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Sep 29, 2013 12:16 |  #2

I have heard good and ok things about Bay. I dunno what H&H is. I have personally used Millers, Aspen Creek and WCI and have had nothing but excellent service and products and my expectations are super high :)

FB (external link)
500px (external link)
Blog (external link)

GerryDavid
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,802 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Sep 29, 2013 15:13 |  #3

WHCC is my main one, I have used Millers in the past for their 6x9 soft cover books, and I did a custom 5x10 metal print last year. I no longer see the custom metal option in ROES, I sent them a message about that to see if its still an option.

Canon investor

golfecho
(I will regret that)
1,890 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Sep 30, 2013 13:09 as a reply to  @ GerryDavid's post |  #4

I used WHCC, but now use Bay Photo. WHCC was fine, but I really like the quality, flexibility and good shipment packaging of Bay.

Facebook (external link) or Website (external link)

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 30, 2013 13:19 |  #5

I use H&H and am generally happy with their products. I also occasionally use WHCC, and generally the quality seems very similar between the two.

I'm not a fan of the EZSuite ordering software for H&H, but with some practice it's getting a little easier to manage. It got a LOT easier once I realized that H&H provides templates for almost all their products, showing the expected bleed/trim areas.

I wasn't particularly happy with the one press-printed book that I ordered from H&H, but their photo books & albums have been very nice. Press-printed cards have been fine, and very similar in quality to WHCC press-printed cards.

I REALLY love H&H's prints on metal. If you get the "alluminescence" metal print, you may need to boost your mid-tones, depending on how you expect to display the piece; the aluminum isn't white like paper and certainly not bright like a screen - but if it's displayed under a light then it really pops and shines. Do some small metal test prints before committing to big metal prints.
I haven't ever ordered metal prints from WHCC.

I have not ever used H&H for canvas prints.

H&H packaging is great, perhaps even overkill.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

Thomas ­ Campbell
Goldmember
2,105 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Sep 30, 2013 13:55 |  #6

We have used Bay Photo for several orders and they have ****ed up every single one. One they never refunded us after they screwed it up multiple times in a week then we never actually got the product. I would stay away from them.

Houston Wedding Photographer (external link)
Houston Sports Photographer (external link)
Current Gear List

syclarac
148 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Sep 30, 2013 15:12 |  #7

Wow Thomas that sounds pretty bad - are we talking about the same people here?
I've been using Bay Photo for about a year and totally happy with them. They make great prints (I've only ordered prints from them so far). Couple of times I've had to talk with them, they have great customer service. Highly recommend!

www.suechoiphotography​.com (external link)
6D, 5D2, ∑15mm fisheye, 16-35 f2.8IIL, 50L, 100L macro
T3i, 17-55 f2.8, 50 f1.8

Thomas ­ Campbell
Goldmember
2,105 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Sep 30, 2013 15:32 |  #8

http://www.bayphoto.co​m/ (external link)

These guys are who I am talking about. Poor customer service, poor communication and poor turn around has been my experience. I would not recommend them at all.

Houston Wedding Photographer (external link)
Houston Sports Photographer (external link)
Current Gear List

bradttu
548 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Sep 30, 2013 17:11 |  #9

I've been using Bay Photo for a little more than 2 years now. I haven't had a single issue at all. The software you have to download to order from them, Bay ROES, can be cumbersome at times, but that's my only gripe. I've ordered prints, canvases, metal prints, etc and I've been pleased each time.

Facebook (external link)| Website (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/bradstillwellphotog​raphy (external link)

Mesmer
Goldmember
1,127 posts
Gallery: 100 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Oct 2007

Sep 30, 2013 18:33 as a reply to  @ bradttu's post |  #10

I've had good and bad luck with BayPhoto. Sometimes the pieces come damaged. The good thing I can say is that they reprinted and shipped again right away at their expense. One 20x30 print on gatorboard took 3 attempts before I got an undamaged one. But that was more the fault of the Shipping Company. But BayPhoto ate the cost and kept reprinting until I got what I had ordered. I've found the customer service to be very good. I've got a metal print that is shipping today from them and can't wait to see it.

InstaGram (external link) Flickr (external link) | 5DmkIII | Samyang 24 1.4 | 35 2.0is | 100L 2.8 Macro | 16-35L F4IS | 24-105L | 70-200L 2.8 II | 300L 4.0is | E640 | Speedlites

GerryDavid
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,802 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Sep 30, 2013 18:45 |  #11

Do they have multiple labs? That could explain why most of you are getting good results while Thomas got bad results?

Canon investor

jdaly
986 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Oct 03, 2013 21:26 |  #12

I use Smugmug and they give you the option to choose a lab they partner with. I really like the quality and especially the packaging from BayPhoto. Looking to switch from EZPrints.

John

D.C.
Goldmember
1,155 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Oct 11, 2013 12:14 |  #13

Have ordered a fair number of metals from Bay Photo. Had 1 with shipping damage. E-mailed photo's of the damage. They reprinted and sent replacement the next day. All others were great!!

Duane
7D, 430EX,10-22, 100 Macro, 100-400, 24-105, 500 F/4 IS

My Gallery (external link)

Mesmer
Goldmember
1,127 posts
Gallery: 100 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Oct 2007

Oct 11, 2013 12:34 |  #14

Mesmer wrote in post #16336722 (external link)
I've had good and bad luck with BayPhoto. Sometimes the pieces come damaged. The good thing I can say is that they reprinted and shipped again right away at their expense. One 20x30 print on gatorboard took 3 attempts before I got an undamaged one. But that was more the fault of the Shipping Company. But BayPhoto ate the cost and kept reprinting until I got what I had ordered. I've found the customer service to be very good. I've got a metal print that is shipping today from them and can't wait to see it.

The metal print that I mentioned was on the way in this post arrived in perfect condition and is hanging on my wall.

I do wish BayPhoto's ordering system was a bit easier to use. It's very clunky.

InstaGram (external link) Flickr (external link) | 5DmkIII | Samyang 24 1.4 | 35 2.0is | 100L 2.8 Macro | 16-35L F4IS | 24-105L | 70-200L 2.8 II | 300L 4.0is | E640 | Speedlites

sponsored links

2,886 views & 0 likes for this thread
Who here uses H&H or BayPhoto pro labs?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.