Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 30 Sep 2013 (Monday) 23:13
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

100mm f2.8 USM macro lens problem

PJ ­ Nowak
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Sep 2013

Sep 30, 2013 23:13 |  #1

I recently acquired a used 100mm f2.8 USM macro lens. When trying it out at home, I started getting an err 01 message, but not with every shot. I then systematically started shooting with different aperture settings, and realized that at f2.8, there was no problem, but at any other F the error message came up. I just want to make sure that I'm not missing anything here, as I am quite new to DSLR photography. I have already tried cleaning the contacts, on the body and lens, with a soft cloth, with no difference. Any suggestions?

sponsored links
Lenty007
221 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined May 2006

Sep 30, 2013 23:49 |  #2

First time I hear this problem so I'm sorry but have no idea of what is happening.
But mayby it is related to the problem I come across.
Mine is zeven years old now and the USM-motor shows sign of giving up. It won't AF unless I manually give it a hand and get the focus in the neighbourhood.
It's giving me a handsfull but still produces amazing shots so I ceep it for now as it is.
If the AF-motor should fail altogether I'll looking for the new version ;)

Saint728
Goldmember
2,892 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Sep 30, 2013 23:50 |  #3

Err 01: Lens to body communication error
The camera to lens communication is somehow being interfered with… could be a problem within the lens itself, possibly the camera body, or something as simple as a smudged fingerprint on the lens mount contacts.

Take Care,
Cheers, Patrick

Canon EOS 1Ds Mark III | 17-40mm f/4.0L | 70-200mm f/2.8L USM | 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro | 300mm f/4.0L IS
Click Here To See My Gear
Click here to see my Flickr (external link)
http://www.runryder.co​m/helicopter/gallery/9​019/ (external link)

amfoto1
Cream of the Crop
10,251 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Oct 02, 2013 14:09 |  #4

You say you cleaned the contacts with a clean cloth, but did you dampen it slightly with a little rubbing alcohol? Sometimes if the contacts are "dirty", it's due to oils on there, most likely finger oils from handling. The alcohol cleans that off. Just be careful to keep off the optics of the lens and wipe the contacts gently.

Do your other lenses work properly on the camera? If not... or if this is the only lens you have at the moment, you might check the contacts in the camera too. They are spring-loaded "pins". Gently press them to see if they are moveable and spring back into place. Sometimes they get gummed up or a speck of dirt that causes them to stick, too. Be careful not to touch the mirror or shutter or focus screen inside the camera.

If cleaning doesn't help and the contact pins seem fine... and particularly if other lenses work fine on the camera... then it's most likely there is an internal problem with the lens. There are ribbon cables from the contacts to the motors driving both focus and the aperture control, and other wiring and circuitry inside the lens. It is possible one of those wires is loose or is shorting out. It is also possible motor driving the aperture of the lens has failed or the apreture itself is sticking.

If cleaning doesn't solve the problem you have the choice of having it repaired (and it's anyone's guess how much that might cost) or trying to get your money back. As a used lens, you can either send to Canon or take it to a local repairer (if there is a good one in your area. I assume there is no warranty since you said it was used.... But do you have the option of returning the lens and getting your money back?

Alan Myers (external link) "Walk softly and carry a big lens."
5DII, 7DII(x2), 7D(x2) & other cameras. 10-22mm, Tokina 12-24/4, 20/2.8, TS 24/3.5L, 24-70/2.8L, 28/1.8, 28-135 IS (x2), TS 45/2.8, 50/1.4, Tamron 60/2.0, 70-200/4L IS, 70-200/2.8 IS, 85/1.8, Tamron 90/2.5 Macro, 100/2.8 USM, 100-400L II, 135/2L, 180/3.5L, 300/4L IS (x2), 300/2.8L IS, 500/4L IS, EF 1.4X II, EF 2X II. Flashes, studio strobes & various access. - FLICKR (external link) - ZENFOLIO (external link)

pdrober2
Goldmember
2,318 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Oct 02, 2013 20:36 |  #5

Can you return it?

Fujifilm X-T1 | 23 | 27 | 56 | 90 | 55-200
Feedback

JuliusUpNorth
522 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Oct 02, 2013 22:21 |  #6

I have never had this problem, either, and second Alan's advice. Please keep us updated.

Julius

sponsored links

2,482 views & 0 likes for this thread
100mm f2.8 USM macro lens problem
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.