Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 29 Sep 2013 (Sunday) 22:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lens advice for fast prime in low light and small spaces

elleana
155 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Sep 30, 2013 21:21 |  #31

MalVeauX wrote in post #16335564 (external link)
Pretty much...

I'm just undecided on which to nab, as I like backing out to 18mm, since it's an EF-S lens and is 18mm. I'm ok at 24mm~35mm. I really don't want to push past that, since I'm using it to test what kind of distance I will have and how wide it will be.

I think I like 24~28mm.
But I also think I would like something shorter.

Options seem kind of limited in terms of a shorter, fast prime lens. I may end up with a zoom after all. I guess I'll have to see just how sharp the glass is on a few of these short zooms.

Very best,

fast zoom then, sigma 1.8 or if thats too steep / heavy, there are some good 2.8 alternatives.

6D | EF 17-40mm f/4L USM | EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 ART | EF 85mm f/1.8 USM

sponsored links
PH68
599 posts
Joined Jun 2013

Oct 01, 2013 04:23 |  #32

MalVeauX wrote in post #16336361 (external link)
Heya,

How do you feel about using the 28mm on your 60D indoors, or in rooms, or in close quarters, and in lower light? Feel too cramped, or does it seem wide enough? Like, in the living room, can you reasonably take a group photo of some kids in front of the tree or something, and not be 20 feet away for framing purposes?

Very best,

The 28mm on my 60D means I effectively have a 45mm lens.
It all depends what you shoot.
I had a film SLR with a 50mm lens for many many years so I'm pretty much used to framing my shots before I look through the viewfinder.
So I'm happy with the 28mm on a crop for most of my shots.
I had the older version of the EF 28mm for a while on my 60D, but recently upgraded to the new IS version.
I've also owned the EF 24mm and EF 35mm but couldn't quite get on with them.

There are times when I want a wider/longer shot but that's the case with any prime lens.
In which case I just go in my bag and put on a different lens.

I used a Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 nonVC whilst on holiday this year. The images were good, but I mostly shot in the 20-40 range (which is about 30-60 equivalent on FF).
I sold it as soon as I got back and kept the 28mm prime.

Fuji XE1 ~ XF18 ~ XF27 ~ XF60 ~ XC50-230

davidgp
116 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Oct 01, 2013 10:31 as a reply to  @ PH68's post |  #33

I was in a situation similar to the OP.

I had the 50mmf1.8. I liked it but found it too long for many situations, especially indoors. So I spent a lot of time trying to decide between 24, 30, and 35. I had settled on the Sigma 35f1.4, requiring me to save my $$$ for it.

Then the Sigma 18-35 was announced and the reviews started coming in.

I had decided to not invest in crop lenses, but this lens was perfect for my needs, allowing me to have prime IQ, excellent build, very large aperture, and the flexibility of a zoom.

I've had it since mid-Aug and it hasn't come off my camera (T2i) yet. I am completely satisfied with it.

CaliWalkabout
337 posts
Joined May 2010

Oct 01, 2013 14:02 |  #34

I loved the 28/1.8 on my 60D. It's a perfect lens for social situations and handles pretty well in very low light. My use of that FL on the 60D is why I went with the 50L when I picked up the 6D.

6D, 17-40L, 24L II, 50L, 100L, 70-300L.

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Oct 01, 2013 14:03 |  #35

Sigma 17-50 OS or 18-35mm depending on budget.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

MalVeauX
THREAD ­ STARTER
"Looks rough and well used"
13,340 posts
Gallery: 1716 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Oct 01, 2013 15:14 |  #36

Heya,

So is a fast zoom going to even compare to a prime regarding sharpness though? I'm weary of spending a mint on a fast zoom, that is in the same range as my 18-55, but faster and slightly sharper (I would imagine and hope, I know the kit lens is as entry level as it gets). But some of these fast zooms cost quite a lot (I would almost rather have two sharper prime lens at different lengths honestly if given the option).

Thoughts?

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

davidgp
116 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Oct 01, 2013 15:51 |  #37

MalVeauX wrote in post #16338859 (external link)
Heya,

So is a fast zoom going to even compare to a prime regarding sharpness though? I'm weary of spending a mint on a fast zoom, that is in the same range as my 18-55, but faster and slightly sharper (I would imagine and hope, I know the kit lens is as entry level as it gets). But some of these fast zooms cost quite a lot (I would almost rather have two sharper prime lens at different lengths honestly if given the option).

Thoughts?

Very best,

Will a fast zoom compare to a prime regarding sharpness? No.

Will the Sigma 18-35 f1.8 compare to a prime regarding sharpness? Absolutely! It is as sharp as or sharper than the equivalent primes. Check out the reviews:
http://slrgear.com …wproduct.php?pr​oduct=1609 (external link)
http://www.lenstip.com …est=obiektywu&t​est_ob=374 (external link)
http://www.dpreview.co​m/lensreviews/sigma-18-35-1-8 (external link)

See this quote from the slrgear review:
"This is not only by a wide margin the best constant-aperture/wide-aperture wide-angle zoom lens we've ever tested, it easily beats most any prime lens within its focal length range."

vk2gwk
Cream of the Crop
12,770 posts
Gallery: 258 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Oct 01, 2013 17:24 |  #38

Beware of buying lenses that are suitable for crop format cameras only.... in case you might upgrade to FF.

My name is Henk. and I believe "It is all in the eye of the beholder....."
Image Editing is allowed. Please explain what you did!
5D MkIV 5DMkIII, 50D, 24-105/1:4L IS USM + 100-400/4-5.6L IS USM + 50mm 1.4 USM + Tamron 70-200mm F/2.8 VC + Sigma 150-600mm Sports + 580EXII + 430EX + YN568EXII, triggers, reflectors, umbrellas and some more bits and pieces...
Photos on: Flickr! (external link) and on my own web site. (external link)

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Oct 01, 2013 17:25 |  #39

vk2gwk wrote in post #16339139 (external link)
Beware of buying lenses that are suitable for crop format cameras only.... in case you might upgrade to FF.

Beware of buying lenses for a format you may never upgrade to, in case they are inferior and/or more costly solutions for the camera you have now.

Taylor

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Oct 01, 2013 17:28 |  #40

MalVeauX wrote in post #16338859 (external link)
Heya,

Thoughts?

Very best,

Recent Zooms have killed the prime lens sharpness advantage in most cases. Where the advantage exists, it is only due to the fact that the prime would be stopped down a little at the zoom's max aperture. Generally, any difference is not going to be noticeable in real life.

But in this case, wide and fast for a crop camera, zooms are the only options. The widest fast prime is the 24mm f1.4, which is not that wide and usually out of budget for crop shooters. The next best options are at 28-35mm, which is really a normal lens, not wide. The only way to get into wide and fast on crop is a zoom.

Taylor

Canvaslove87
245 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Oct 01, 2013 17:35 |  #41

ive shot with the 18-35 1.8 and its indeed a great lens. Sigma has really been releasing some great lenses over the past year. I cant wait for the new 24-70 2.0 (rumored?).

www.CanvasLove.com (external link)
www.ByuniePhoto.com (external link)

NotBlake
212 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Oct 01, 2013 22:31 |  #42

Have you considered upgrading to a full-frame camera? There should be plenty of VERY affordable 5d mark IIs out there, or you could grab a new 6D.

For me, wide, fast primes were the reason I upgraded to FF.

davidgp
116 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Oct 02, 2013 07:36 |  #43

NotBlake wrote in post #16339826 (external link)
Have you considered upgrading to a full-frame camera? There should be plenty of VERY affordable 5d mark IIs out there, or you could grab a new 6D.

For me, wide, fast primes were the reason I upgraded to FF.

If the OP is committed to going FF then the Sigma 18-35 is not the right choice. Otherwise, the 18-35 is still worth considering. As the reviews of this lens have pointed out, the fast aperture of the lens provides the equivalent of f2.8 on a FF camera, negating one of the reasons for moving to FF.

I'm NOT saying that this lens makes moving to FF obsolete, simply that it changes the calculus. For me, who was bent on buying only FF compatible lenses, this lens, along with size and cost factors of FF, caused me to back away from the FF path at least for the next 3 or 4 years.

MalVeauX
THREAD ­ STARTER
"Looks rough and well used"
13,340 posts
Gallery: 1716 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Oct 02, 2013 15:04 |  #44

davidgp wrote in post #16338924 (external link)
Will a fast zoom compare to a prime regarding sharpness? No.

Will the Sigma 18-35 f1.8 compare to a prime regarding sharpness? Absolutely! It is as sharp as or sharper than the equivalent primes. Check out the reviews:
http://slrgear.com …wproduct.php?pr​oduct=1609 (external link)
http://www.lenstip.com …est=obiektywu&t​est_ob=374 (external link)
http://www.dpreview.co​m/lensreviews/sigma-18-35-1-8 (external link)

See this quote from the slrgear review:
"This is not only by a wide margin the best constant-aperture/wide-aperture wide-angle zoom lens we've ever tested, it easily beats most any prime lens within its focal length range."

Thanks for this, this helps a lot.

I actually don't see myself moving to a full frame body any time soon. I like the size and quality of the T4i. Solid camera for me, but maybe in another 10+ years I'll look into something else. I'm more of a `buy it and use it for it's worth' kind of person. I'm still an absolute amateur.

I really like the idea of the Signa zoom. Seems to have great image quality, fast for low light, and has a nice wide view. I don't like the price, but then again, it functions like two lenses that I was already looking at that are wide, which cost half of that, but each, so it sort of rounds out. I'll have to shop around and see if I can find a used one maybe.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,635 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Oct 02, 2013 15:33 |  #45

Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8.

Or, if you really want a wide AF prime then get the EF 20mm f/2.8. If you don't mind manual focusing, then I'd look at the Samyang 14mm f/2.8 and 16mm f/2 also.

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-H1 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)www.LucasGPhoto.com (external link)

sponsored links

11,939 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lens advice for fast prime in low light and small spaces
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.