Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 02 Oct 2013 (Wednesday) 10:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Is it me, or the 7D...

Badgerballs
482 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Oct 02, 2013 10:01 |  #1

I have had my 7D for about 2 years now and used it about half a dozen times. I upgraded my G11 to a G12 and have tended to use it all of the time. Well the time has come where I am thinking I should be using my 7D. The lenses I have are the Tokina 12-24, Sigma 33 and Canon f/4 70-200. I have just purchased a new Canon f/4 24-105 IS USM but it hasn't arrived yet and I am hoping it will be the right choice for my GP lens. One thing that bothers me about my 7D is that I always shoot in RAW, and often do a lot of low light photography, but the colours always seem yards apart from the 5D as in the greens look very browny. Is this normal, and is there an enormous difference between the colour capabilities of the 7D and 5D or am I worrying unnecessarily. In fact even the G12 seemed to have better colour.

"Try shooting badgers, creep up in the dark, they hear the shutter, the flash goes off, they run, and what's the shot... "Badgerballs" !!!!
The difference between good and bad photographers is: Good photographers don't show their bad photos.

sponsored links
GregDunn
Goldmember
1,289 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Oct 02, 2013 10:25 |  #2

If you're shooting RAW, then you have to be aware of the color of the lighting and possibly shoot a gray card to ensure that you can correct in post. Auto white balance does not always make the right choice.

Canon 1Dx | 5D3 | 7D2 | 6D | 70-200L f/2.8IS | 70-200L f/4 | 24-70L f/2.8 | 24-105L f/4IS | 100-400L f/4.5-5.6IS | 17-55 f/2.8IS | 50 f/1.8 | 28-105 f/3.5-4.5 | 4x Godox AD360

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,921 posts
Gallery: 148 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 02, 2013 14:59 |  #3

Also try to adjust the color in post by using the "tint" slider. My 50D raw files are decidedly too magenta, and will often cause the greens to be somewhat brownish, as you are claiming. Moving that slider up towards the blue/green side a bit solves the problem and corrects the color problem.

If you are already using the tint slider, please accept my apologies for assuming that you weren't familiar with it.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Pepe ­ Guitarra
800 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Oct 02, 2013 15:08 as a reply to  @ Tom Reichner's post |  #4

My experience using the 7D is that the color is as real as it can be, I do not have the 5D, but I have the 5DII, which is a superb camera. I use the 7D for birding, so, no problems. I have noticed with the Leica M8 camera, that when shooting jpg, you have to provide a lot of input before shooting, so you will get the jpg ready. But when shooting raw, it is different, the file comes a little less intense in color, but you have to adjust. IN light room, you have to select EMBEDED (in the camera) as opposed to the other alternative. Try doing the same with the 7D.

It's not a photo until you print it! :cool:
Click here (external link), this is myflickr (external link) gallery

dscri001
487 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Oct 03, 2013 02:57 |  #5

Easiest thing to do is go into live view, flick through the custom white balance (or default wb's) until you like the colors. That's what I started out doing, but after a while you get used to what the camera outputs, or what you're willing to correct in pp.

-Tyler I II
EOS 6DII, EF 16-35mm f/4 ISL, EF 35 f/1.4L II, EF 85 f/1.8, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L

Badgerballs
THREAD ­ STARTER
482 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Oct 03, 2013 03:25 |  #6

Thanks you folks, there's some interesting comments in here. I have always been using Spyder colour calibration and I have an Dell Precision M6600 Laptop with IPS so I get as good as it get's from that point of view. Maybe I just need to use it as I have spent all my time with the G12 I sort of fell in love with it. It's a bit stupid having such a good camera sitting in the bag.

GregDunn wrote in post #16340753 (external link)
If you're shooting RAW, then you have to be aware of the color of the lighting and possibly shoot a gray card to ensure that you can correct in post. Auto white balance does not always make the right choice.

This is interesting what you say about the Gray card, I have had one for years and never used it as I only thought it was applicable to jpg beacuse you couldn't post adjust the WB. But it makes sense just to use it when you shoot and then use the WB tool in post PS Raw Convertor. I will definately try this out. It's funny but when you look through all the pictures of the 7D on PP there are actually very few lanscapes, they are nearly all associated with slightly difficult lighting conditions, whereby more of the 5D III are plain shots. Maybe that's where I am noticing it. I will be getting my 24-105 L glass in the next few days, so I will blow off the dust and start using it. Thanks for all of your helpful comments.

"Try shooting badgers, creep up in the dark, they hear the shutter, the flash goes off, they run, and what's the shot... "Badgerballs" !!!!
The difference between good and bad photographers is: Good photographers don't show their bad photos.

ereuter
71 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Oct 03, 2013 06:27 as a reply to  @ Badgerballs's post |  #7

I leave the WB on my 7D in "cloudy" all the time, and usually only need to make small adjustments to WB on the RAW conversion if I'm shooting outdoors. Seems to be a good middle of the road WB.

5D3; Canon TS-E 17L, TS-E 90, 85 1.4; Sigma 35 Art, 70-200; X100; EOS M

auto-clicker
796 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Oct 03, 2013 07:44 |  #8

A refresher about RAW

http://www.luminous-landscape.com …-series/u-raw-files.shtml (external link)

hairy_moth
Goldmember
3,739 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2009

Oct 03, 2013 08:10 |  #9

Badgerballs wrote in post #16340681 (external link)
I have had my 7D for about 2 years now and used it about half a dozen times.

That's about once every 4 months...
That would be impossible for me -- I'd have to relearn how to use the camera every time I picked it up. I do understand that different people's minds work differently, but for me, there are just too many little subtleties in using a camera with this number features -- even when I have them fresh in my mind, I sometimes find that I've neglected to set a setting the way I want for a particular shot.

If that was all that I could find time to use that camera, I'd get rid of it and just stick with the G12.

7D | 300D | G1X | Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 | EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro | EF 85mm f/1.8 | 70-200 f/2.8L MkII -- flickr (external link)

rral22
885 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Oct 03, 2013 08:29 |  #10

Sell the 7D and continue to use the G12. Why have all that money tied up in a camera you used 6 times in 2 years, especially if you don't know how to use it to get pictures that look the way you want them. The 7D is an excellent, versatile camera that can do anything with colors you want. If you can't get good color from it, operator error is the issue. If you use it only sporadically every few months, it is an unnecessary frustration. Sell it.

xhack
Goldmember
1,283 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Oct 03, 2013 08:51 |  #11

ereuter wrote in post #16342796 (external link)
I leave the WB on my 7D in "cloudy" all the time, and usually only need to make small adjustments to WB on the RAW conversion if I'm shooting outdoors. Seems to be a good middle of the road WB.

Dare I suggest that's because you live in ☁ maritime Maine?
Over here, at 56º N, we get your weather after you're finished with it; I've used ☀ WB just once in the last 12 months. :)

~ Wallace
Gear List

Badgerballs
THREAD ­ STARTER
482 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Oct 03, 2013 11:06 |  #12

hairy_moth wrote in post #16342942 (external link)
If that was all that I could find time to use that camera, I'd get rid of it and just stick with the G12.

Yep you are right to a degree, but don't underestimate the G12. It does pretty much all the 7D does from options and creativity point of view. I do a lot of experimenting and it is fun, the lens an colour are awesome considering the size. I think probably the most enticing thing it the flexible screen. I use all my p-series stuff on it and my flashes so I suppose I got a bit hooked on it. But here we go, 7D here I come :)

scotchtape
152 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Oct 03, 2013 11:49 |  #13

If you're at base ISOs it's not too bad, if you're going above ISO 400 though, the 5D and 6D hold on to color waaaay better.

I use to shoot a 60D and compared to the 5D/6D it just doesn't compare in regards to ISO noise and color retention when shooting at night. Especially when you are likely to push exposures in post and try to get more shadow detail.

RayinAlaska
425 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2013

Oct 03, 2013 18:31 |  #14

Pepe Guitarra wrote in post #16341372 (external link)
My experience using the 7D is that the color is as real as it can be, I do not have the 5D, but I have the 5DII, which is a superb camera. I use the 7D for birding, so, no problems. I have noticed with the Leica M8 camera, that when shooting jpg, you have to provide a lot of input before shooting, so you will get the jpg ready. But when shooting raw, it is different, the file comes a little less intense in color, but you have to adjust. IN light room, you have to select EMBEDED (in the camera) as opposed to the other alternative. Try doing the same with the 7D.

I have similar experiences with my 7D. I also shoot RAW, and leave the WB on AWB. Then process the RAW images with CS5. It means that it does not matter which WB setting is used since CS5 adjusts the image automatically. The same for my 5DII.

Submariner
Goldmember
3,028 posts
Joined May 2012

Oct 04, 2013 15:41 as a reply to  @ RayinAlaska's post |  #15

When I had a 7D I was pretty pleased with the colour on AWB. But would also shoot a Gray Card aswell in case.
Now have the 5D3 and its better - richer colours but not wildly better.

Canon EOS 5DS R, Canon EF 70-200 F2.8 L Mk II IS USM, Canon EF 70-300 F4-5.6 L IS USM, EF 40mm F2.8 STM , RC6 Remote. Canon STE-3 Radio Flash Controller, Canon 600 EX RT x4 , YN 560 MkII x2 ; Bowens GM500PRO x4 , Bowens Remote Control. Bowens Pulsar TX, RX Radio Transmitter and Reciever Cards. Bowens Constant 530 Streamlights 600w x 4 Sold EOS 5D Mk III, 7D, EF 50mm F1.8, 430 EX Mk II, Bowens GM500Rs x4

sponsored links

3,042 views & 0 likes for this thread
Is it me, or the 7D...
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.