Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Urban Life & Travel 
Thread started 13 Dec 2011 (Tuesday) 23:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Go Hawaii - Post all things Hawaii.

wmcy
676 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Oct 03, 2013 20:41 |  #1846

Nmura wrote in post #16342556 (external link)
Thanks. 5d3; 70-200 f2.8 II

Thanks. Well done.

Canon EOS R, Canon RF 24-105 f/4L IS USM, Canon EF 85 f/1.8, Canon Converter, Godox 860 Speedlite Kit, Godox Min Speedlite

sponsored links
DTBaan
THREAD ­ STARTER
"male gigolo"
14,079 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Apr 2011

Oct 04, 2013 00:40 |  #1847

rick_reno wrote in post #16343040 (external link)
Sorry DT - just saw this. Little under 2 hours from Ala Moana to Turtle Bay where they turn around on #55. #52 will get you up to Sunset and Waimea Bay in about an hour and 40 mins from Ala Moana. I recall doing it faster once by riding one of the City Express buses and getting lucky with my transfer. Bus drivers are great, they know their stuff and are very helpful.

I see... hmm.... guess we will stick to car. we have lots of things to do so can't wait for busses. thanks for the info Rick. :)

another question. any idea when its good for diamond head hike? and if there should be a time we should avoid?

doofuss
Goldmember
1,883 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Oct 04, 2013 01:45 |  #1848

DTBaan wrote in post #16344910 (external link)
I see... hmm.... guess we will stick to car. we have lots of things to do so can't wait for busses. thanks for the info Rick. :)

another question. any idea when its good for diamond head hike? and if there should be a time we should avoid?

Waikiki to the North Shore by car along going via the H-1 & H-2 should take no more than 35-40 minutes or so.

You can also go the long way via the East coast roads, but that will take hours, not just becasue it is a much longer route, but also becasue there are so many great spots to stop and take photos from.

Canon 1dx & 7d gripped, Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L, Sigma 120-300 f2.8 (sports), Sigma 70-200mm f2.8, Sigma 24-70 f2.8, Canon EFS 17-55mm f2.8, , Canon EF 50mm f/1.8, Sigma 8-16mm f4.5 - 5.6, Sigma 2 x teleconverter, Canon 600EX-RT Speedlight.

kiapolo
869 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Nov 2010

Oct 04, 2013 02:06 |  #1849

Diamond Head will be PACKED pretty much any time.

Here's some pics from the last time I went up (August 10, 2013) (external link).

This is a pic at 7:00 am (about an hour after the trail opens). At the top you can see how crowded the summit is.

IMAGE: http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5522/9481917098_5f2b8fef44_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/kiapolo/9481917​098/  (external link)

For pics of Waikiki, in the morning the sun will be behind you, in the evening the sun will be setting behind Waikiki. During the midday it's FREAKING hot.

Also, be prepared for tourists, especially Japanese/Korean tourists, going up the trail in their high heels and fancy clothes.

| kiapolo.com (external link) (blog) | Gear List | Flickr (external link) | YouTube (external link) | 2012 Project 366 (external link) |

doofuss
Goldmember
1,883 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Oct 04, 2013 03:07 |  #1850

Kiapolo, we always go to Hawaii during November / December, and I honestly have never seen the Diamond Head trail as busy as in your photo.

I know the exact spot in your photo, as the bottom left corner is the "lookout" looking back over the crater towards the coast, and on our trips up the trail, there has never been more than a couple of people at that lookout area when we get there.

We have never had to "wait" at the summit to take in the view....We have always gone up the stairs straight to the top with no more than about 20 other people at most up there at the same time as us.

Not sure if we have been lucky on our trips up Diamond Head, or if you have been unlucky with the crowds, but we have always had a minimal amount of people on the trail when we have hiked to the top. Maybe it is also a "seasonal" thing with the crowds as we are in Hawaii during their "winter" months.

Canon 1dx & 7d gripped, Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L, Sigma 120-300 f2.8 (sports), Sigma 70-200mm f2.8, Sigma 24-70 f2.8, Canon EFS 17-55mm f2.8, , Canon EF 50mm f/1.8, Sigma 8-16mm f4.5 - 5.6, Sigma 2 x teleconverter, Canon 600EX-RT Speedlight.

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 04, 2013 11:24 |  #1851

I like the buses, gives me time to chit chat with the locals, and I don't have to park the car. They're not fast, if time is short a car is a good idea.

Only been up Diamond head a few times, always in the winter. Never seen it crowded like in that photo, but then I've never gone up there early in the day, 7am for me is coffee and reading the paper, not climbing up an old volcano. I have climbed it around 11 am once and a couple of times after 4pm. It's usually quite a bit warmer then and that might discourage the hoards but the heat doesn't bother me. It's a nice walk, best followed by a visit to Leonard's Bakery to gulp down some malasadas before heading over to Dukes for a beer and some music.

DTBaan
THREAD ­ STARTER
"male gigolo"
14,079 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Oct 04, 2013 12:05 |  #1852

kiapolo wrote in post #16345020 (external link)
Diamond Head will be PACKED pretty much any time.

Here's some pics from the last time I went up (August 10, 2013).This is a pic at 7:00 am (about an hour after the trail opens). At the top you can see how crowded the summit is.http://farm6.staticfli​ckr.com …81917098_5f2b8f​ef44_b.jpg (external link) (external link)

For pics of Waikiki, in the morning the sun will be behind you, in the evening the sun will be setting behind Waikiki. During the midday it's FREAKING hot.

Also, be prepared for tourists, especially Japanese/Korean tourists, going up the trail in their high heels and fancy clothes.

thanks for your information. if they can go up with nice clothes i'm sure I can walk up with my gears. do you think a tripod is necessary for diamond head? and how long is the hike from parking to the view point? lol

DTBaan
THREAD ­ STARTER
"male gigolo"
14,079 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Oct 04, 2013 12:10 |  #1853

rick_reno wrote in post #16345778 (external link)
I like the buses, gives me time to chit chat with the locals, and I don't have to park the car. They're not fast, if time is short a car is a good idea.

Only been up Diamond head a few times, always in the winter. Never seen it crowded like in that photo, but then I've never gone up there early in the day, 7am for me is coffee and reading the paper, not climbing up an old volcano. I have climbed it around 11 am once and a couple of times after 4pm. It's usually quite a bit warmer then and that might discourage the hoards but the heat doesn't bother me. It's a nice walk, best followed by a visit to Leonard's Bakery to gulp down some malasadas before heading over to Dukes for a beer and some music.

yeah if I had time Id do buss too. saves money and hassle. :)

oh leonard's is on the schedule for two visits hehe. if the others like it I will persuade them to have some more :D

i plan on catching sunrise in the early morning and attempt for a morning jog if possible. sipping coffee is also an idea :) any coffee place other then starbucks you would recomend? i saw island vintage that I may try.

DTBaan
THREAD ­ STARTER
"male gigolo"
14,079 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Oct 04, 2013 12:14 |  #1854

doofuss wrote in post #16344995 (external link)
Waikiki to the North Shore by car along going via the H-1 & H-2 should take no more than 35-40 minutes or so.

You can also go the long way via the East coast roads, but that will take hours, not just becasue it is a much longer route, but also becasue there are so many great spots to stop and take photos from.

wow thats fast. id think it would take about 2 hours least to get to north shore. thanks for the information :)

id Go around and have many stops but will be traveling with others so the long route would not be considered. but who knows hehe

kiapolo
869 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Oct 04, 2013 12:42 |  #1855

doofuss wrote in post #16345068 (external link)
Kiapolo, we always go to Hawaii during November / December, and I honestly have never seen the Diamond Head trail as busy as in your photo...
Not sure if we have been lucky on our trips up Diamond Head, or if you have been unlucky with the crowds, but we have always had a minimal amount of people on the trail when we have hiked to the top. Maybe it is also a "seasonal" thing with the crowds as we are in Hawaii during their "winter" months.

I usually go in the mornings. The pic/link I posted aren't even the worst. I went up in December a couple years ago (right after the new bypass near the top opened up) right at opening. I actually got there at about 5:45 am and waited at the gate with a crap ton of other cars and buses. That trip was crazy, it was a herded mass of people going up the trail. It was still dark and the trail was absolutely packed to capacity. Luckily some fitness lady was attempting to run up the trail and she was forcing people out of her way as she ran up the trail. I followed in her wake and made good time to the summit before sunrise. But, by the time I finished, the trail had cleared significantly.

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7145/6573617013_b6bcf0c319_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/kiapolo/6573617​013/  (external link)
Line of tour buses, vans and cars waiting to get into Diamond Head.

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7174/6535706369_3150d17a6a_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/kiapolo/6535706​369/  (external link)
Crowd at the summit.

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7162/6535711803_e9dbd68374_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/kiapolo/6535711​803/  (external link)
Significant clearing by the time I was finished

| kiapolo.com (external link) (blog) | Gear List | Flickr (external link) | YouTube (external link) | 2012 Project 366 (external link) |

kiapolo
869 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Oct 04, 2013 12:46 |  #1856

DTBaan wrote in post #16345882 (external link)
do you think a tripod is necessary for diamond head?

Depends on when you go. If you go around the tail end of December AND you go right when the trail opens (gates open at 6:00 am...you should probably be at the gate at 5:45 am), then you will get a GREAT view of Waikiki and the lights of Waikiki in the pre-dawn morning. Beautiful view. You made need to go off the official trail to get space to set up a tripod, but that's not a problem. If you go any other time, you don't need a tripod.

DTBaan wrote in post #16345882 (external link)
how long is the hike from parking to the summit

About 30 minutes if you're taking a good pace. About 45-60 minutes if you're stopping to take pics.

DTBaan
THREAD ­ STARTER
"male gigolo"
14,079 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Oct 04, 2013 14:57 as a reply to  @ kiapolo's post |  #1857

yikes! hopefully it'll be less crowded in of this month hehe.

45-50.. so I should leave it at 4 hours time duration on my schedule...

thanks again :)

forgot to mention about that crowd, hope I wont be in that mess. but if i was i hope there will be lots of attractive gals :)

DTBaan
THREAD ­ STARTER
"male gigolo"
14,079 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Oct 04, 2013 15:05 as a reply to  @ DTBaan's post |  #1858

Rick. I think I'm going to get myself a 'got malasadas?' souvenir tshirt at leonards hehe

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 04, 2013 16:13 |  #1859

DTBaan wrote in post #16346244 (external link)
Rick. I think I'm going to get myself a 'got malasadas?' souvenir tshirt at leonards hehe

Yes, you have to get a couple malasadas. If you're out and about in your car, watch for the Lenoards Malasadamobile Wagon, I've found it in Waikele, near K-Mart.

When are you going to be there? I'll be there Sat.

Coffee, depends on where you're staying. In Waikiki, I like Peets coffee, there is one or maybe two in the Sheraton Waikiki. The one "in" the hotel is better than that little stand they have setup out front. Also like Honolulu Coffee, it's in the Moana Surfrider Hotel, their Kona is very tasty, nice people working there too, good pastries. Great thing about this place is you can get a coffee and sit in the rockers at the hotel and watch life go by. I like Starbucks too, the one on Kuhio Ave near Seaside is my favorite. The Starbucks up by the Trump building is good, but very noisy in the morning. The big garbage truck parks in front and then all the little satellite pickups bring garbage to it. Good in the PM or night.

meh_meli
Goldmember
1,391 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Oct 04, 2013 20:17 |  #1860

I hope it is raining when I go. That looks like a reason not to climb up there.

Enjoy your trips guys, hope the govt. isn't still shut down. Get your Arizona tickets online.

Kevin Goto
I prefer Pachelbels lesser known work, Canon in L and the 99 cent menu club.

sponsored links

706,919 views & 1,011 likes for this thread
Go Hawaii - Post all things Hawaii.
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Urban Life & Travel 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.