Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 03 Oct 2013 (Thursday) 05:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Camera tripod connection

Frodge
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,087 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2012

Oct 03, 2013 15:22 |  #16

Colt4570 wrote in post #16343619 (external link)
Frodge, I'm not sure if the 250 was your budget for legs and head, but for your money, the Induro AT series is a great tripod. A pro landscape shooter on the forums recommended one to me several years ago, and I love mine.

I'm using the AT313 which is not a compact by any means, but if your anywhere close to 6' or taller, the height on this this tripod is great, and it's solid.

http://www.indurogear.​com …ies-8m-tripods-at313.aspx (external link)

For a ball head I went with the Acratech GP. Nice solid setup, and I've had no issues with it.

Wht is a cheaper option for the ballhead?

sponsored links
Frodge
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,087 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Oct 03, 2013 17:39 |  #17

How would you compare the 055xprob/498cr, myfoto globe trotter and hiker model and vanguard alta pro 263at /sbh-250 head?

scotchtape
152 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Oct 03, 2013 17:59 |  #18

I started with a flimsy $?? tripod I had around the house. That thing flexed like crazy but I thought it was fine. Then I started doing my research...

First thing I tried was a Giottos MT 9371 (or something like that).
It was ok but a bit heavy. Ball head was a Vanguard TBH 300. It was ok.
This was way better than the first tripod I had but I wasn't super happy with my setup.

More research...

Having never actually used a Manfrotto, Gitzo, or RRS tripod, I can't say I'm an expert.

But after reading many reviews and forum postings I tried a Sirui CF tripod (M-3204 - $280 used) and I snagged a good deal on an Induro AT 413 ($150 used). I also traded my Giottos 9371 for it's almost equivalent CF version (8xxx, lost a few $$$). For heads I have a Photoclam Pro Gold ($240?), and the Sirui K-20x ($120?). I also have a Benro BH2 ($120?) that I do not particularly like.

Out of all the gear I have, I rarely use the Induro AT because it's heavy (although I like it and it's solid!). I like the Sirui even though the legs flip over the heads to store it in the bag (annoying) but it's light and fast and stable I guess. The Giottos I end up using just as much as the Sirui because it's light and I don't have to flip the legs over - but I actually like operating it the least.

All of this to say that in my experience the Sirui stuff is really good (I think the K-20x or K-30x was rated as one of the most stable heads in some random german test). The photoclam is also a nice head that feels better than the Sirui but is more expensive. The Sirui heads are also nice and affordable!

For tripods, I really feel you can't go wrong with the higher end Sirui and Induro models. Each tripod has it's pros and cons, but the quality of some of these imports is pretty awesome for the price. The Sirui head I have is also pretty smooth and doesn't move as much on lock down as the Benro and Vanguard. When I end up using the Benro or Vanguard, I always cringe a bit when I try to set the horizon straight on lock down. With the Photoclam and Sirui it's almost a non issue.

lehmanncpa
Goldmember
1,943 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Oct 03, 2013 18:51 |  #19

If I recall correctly, Induro, Benro and MeFoto are all part of the same company and manufacturer. The Induro brand is exclusive to North America and is not sold anywhere else, whereas Benro & MeFoto are sold in most countries. The Induro brand has some models that are better constructed than what Benro and MeFoto have to offer. I think if you were to order them by quality of products, Induro would be first, followed by Benro and then MeFoto. The difference isn't so much in that Induro tripods are better made than MeFoto's, it's that Induro's top tripod models are better than MeFoto's top models. All of them are VERY similar in design, materials and function and all of them are made in China by the same company. Like I stated in an earlier post, I bought my dad a MeFoto Roadtrip and thought it was great. I'm getting myself one of their Backpacker models for short backpack trips.

Manfrotto is a great company, but huge - which means they have lots of products and at different price and quality points. They have very inexpensive and flimsy tripods as well as very sturdy and well-made tripods that are capable of competing against Gitzo and RRS. There are two things I dislike about Manfrotto tripod design: 1) the leg section clasps and 2) the camera quick release plate system. I guess you can get a different ball head and use Manfrotto legs if you like their clasp system, but their good tripods are just slightly less than Gitzo or RRS, so I'd prefer to go with Gitzo or RRS. Manfrottos are made in Northern Italy.

I've handled Feisol (made in Taiwan) and have been very impressed with their quality. I used one of their tournament series CF tripods and was very impressed at how sturdy it felt, even at fully-extended length with a large lens.

Sirui is made in Hong Kong and I have heard great things about their products, but have never handled their products, so I can't comment.

Frodge, you first need to come up with a budget and stick to it. Despite what everyone on here says, it's OK to buy a $200 tripod. We've all bought one in our life and I didn't regret my purchase. It helped me learn to use a tripod and get comfortable with it until I realized the limitations of a $200 tripod. Should I have jumped in and paid for a good tripod to begin with? Probably, but at the time, I was on a tight budget and $200 was all I was willing to afford.

So, once you come up with a hard number, you need to look at four things: leg material, leg design, head design and mounting plate design.

Leg material: If on a budget, this will be chosen for you: aluminum. If your budget allows, carbon fiber is lighter and typically more rigid than their aluminum counterpart.

Leg design: I prefer the screw-type tension knobs found on Gitzos rather than the clasp-style design on Manfrottos. That's a personal choice. Only you need to be comfortable with it. There is no better or worse, despite what people may have you believe. It's just personal preference.

Head design: I prefer ballheads. In most cases, the larger the ball, the more weight it will hold (yes, there are exceptions, but generally this is the case). If on a budget, you may not have much of a choice here since the really good ball heads sometimes cost more than the legs. Unless going with a top quality product like Arca, RRS, Markins, Linhof, Novoflex, Foba and other $500+ heads, most of the sub $100 heads will function very similarly and have similar limitations. I would get one that is either easy to use or comes with the tripod in a package deal.

Mounting plate design: I prefer Arca Swiss style plates. I have RRS plates on all my bodies and lenses and all fit my quick release plate. It's a wonderful system and can be used to adapt to more than just tripod stuff. I have my macro rig connected to my RRS L-plate with a flash head and arm. Others like Manfrotto's system, but I don't care for it. It was my first system and I disliked it. I liked the safety features, but I found it clunky and a bit awkward to use. Arca Swiss is much easier and I find it much slimmer and low profile. I'm sure there are other proprietary models out there, but they are probably not worth looking into.

I don't know if this helps or not, but I thought I would throw it out there. Good luck.

Alex
Gear List
Feedback
Photography (external link)

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
19,065 posts
Gallery: 57 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Oct 03, 2013 19:17 |  #20

Kolor-Pikker wrote in post #16343226 (external link)
They splay under pressure, poor rotational stability, the flip locks need to be tightened on occasion with the included tool, the center column isn't stable at any position besides fully collapsed, and a whole bunch of other things I can think of.

It's still worth it for the price though.

You'd have to apply an AWFUL lot of pressure to the 055s to get them to splay; aside from that though, I've run into the rest of those issues, myself. With both the aluminum and CF versions of that set. The other problem I have had is the shims in the legs breaking and allowing the leg tubes to come fully out of their brackets; which is a PITA because Manfrotto's US support/supply operations are less than useless when it comes to getting parts.

For the price of the aluminum set, I'd agree with you. If you're spending the $500+ for carbon fiber, though, I'd definitely recommend against them and in favor of looking at other suppliers.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,843 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined May 2011

Oct 03, 2013 19:38 |  #21

Kolor-Pikker wrote in post #16343783 (external link)
RRS 34L? It's definitely at the high end, and most who've used one swear by them, although there's general consensus that their heads are less impressive. RRS owners typically get Arca heads or similar, and I'd love to have gotten a D4 geared head over the 405, but at over 2x the price it's a tad too rich for my blood; I still need to save up for legs. I'm still thinking on getting a Gitzo over the RRS for a few reasons.

Yeah, I bought the 34L along with a BH-55 which I like very much. Truth be told, I haven't heard any negative things about it. If I lived in Europe, I'd probably buy Gitzo too but here in the States, there are a few advantages to RRS. I can sympathize with having to save up for a new tripod. I put away money every month for a year. This year's money went to a tripod... not a new camera body or telephoto lens.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

kawi_200
Goldmember
1,452 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Jul 2011

Oct 03, 2013 20:45 |  #22

Frodge wrote in post #16342809 (external link)
Which leads me into what new tripod I should get. What is good for around $250. I was going to get the 055xprob with the 498rc head and then read some bad reviews about play and slop. So that's out.

I have had the 055XPROB and 498RC2 ballhead for several years now and I couldn't be more happy with it. I never had any problems with slop or play. I've used it in salt water, and submerged it in a fresh water stream shortly after (to clear the salt water off) and still haven't had any problems. The worse thing I've had happen is a bit of sand got inbetween the leg extender and scratched it a little bit, but that will happen with any tripod.

I moved to the carbon fiber version, 055CXPRO3, a while ago for the lighter weight for hiking.

Overall, I've got adapter plates on all my lenses with tripod rings and my body. That way I never have to worry about striping the screw.

5D4 | 8-15L | 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS | 24L II | 40mm pancake | 100L IS | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS mk2 | 400mm f/4 DO IS

Kolor-Pikker
Goldmember
2,790 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Oct 04, 2013 05:02 |  #23

Snydremark wrote in post #16344342 (external link)
You'd have to apply an AWFUL lot of pressure to the 055s to get them to splay; aside from that though, I've run into the rest of those issues, myself.

I suppose it depends on the angle, if you fold the legs out any further than the first stop or extend them all the way, they will start to bend once you put a few Kg of camera + lens on there, not to mention putting extra weight on the hook (like your camera bag). It especially happens if you drag the tripod instead of lifting it up to relocate.

For the price of the aluminum set, I'd agree with you. If you're spending the $500+ for carbon fiber, though, I'd definitely recommend against them and in favor of looking at other suppliers.

I agree too. Sirui may well be a better choice, I've seen and handled them seeing as they're very popular across the pond, and they are very stable. I had a medium format camera I was testing on one with a ball head, and it produced a razor sharp image on a 2 sec timer, even though I'm pretty sure it was too heavy for it.

Phoenixkh wrote in post #16344384 (external link)
Yeah, I bought the 34L along with a BH-55 which I like very much. Truth be told, I haven't heard any negative things about it. If I lived in Europe, I'd probably buy Gitzo too but here in the States, there are a few advantages to RRS. I can sympathize with having to save up for a new tripod. I put away money every month for a year. This year's money went to a tripod... not a new camera body or telephoto lens.

That's after having blown my budget on the 24-70 II... :oops:

5DmkII | 24-70 f/2.8L II | Pentax 645Z | 55/2.8 SDM | 120/4 Macro | 150/2.8 IF
I acquired an expensive camera so I can hang out in forums, annoy wedding photographers during formals and look down on P&S users... all the while telling people it's the photographer, not the camera.

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,843 posts
Joined May 2011

Oct 04, 2013 05:48 |  #24

Kolor-Pikker wrote in post #16345158 (external link)
That's after having blown my budget on the 24-70 II... :oops:

Ouch. LOL. That is why I haven't tried saving up for a 5D MK III. I could save enough for the camera in a year.... but then I would have to have a good landscape lens (24-70 II, like you) and get a longer telephoto. I figure we're talking over $7K.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

MotorPro
30 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Oct 04, 2013 06:12 as a reply to  @ Phoenixkh's post |  #25

I have to ask what you people do these tripods? I have had a couple cheap tripods for many years. I have used them for everything from point and shoots to 4x5 speed graphics and never had one bend , break,fall,tip move or vibrate. Theh hold up a camera. What am I not understanding?

Frodge
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,087 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Oct 04, 2013 06:16 |  #26

MotorPro wrote in post #16345205 (external link)
I have to ask what you people do these tripods? I have had a couple cheap tripods for many years. I have used them for everything from point and shoots to 4x5 speed graphics and never had one bend , break,fall,tip move or vibrate. Theh hold up a camera. What am I not understanding?

This is what I'm trying to understand as well. I'm not being obnoxious or anything. What do you use?

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Oct 04, 2013 06:28 |  #27

Frodge wrote in post #16345209 (external link)
This is what I'm trying to understand as well. I'm not being obnoxious or anything. What do you use?

It all depends on what use you are making of the kit. Yes for 85% of the time, a really cheap tripod & head will do the job, but its that other 15% of the time when you (in my case) want to shoot accurately composed star or moon images when my manfrotto RC2 head let me down.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,843 posts
Joined May 2011

Oct 04, 2013 06:37 |  #28

MotorPro wrote in post #16345205 (external link)

Perhaps I'm just an idiot. Either that or I've grown spoiled over the years, having good equipment for any job I've tackled. I used to do carpenter work professionally and I was careful selecting my gear/tools. I approach photography the same way, I guess I want a photography tool to be easy to use, work well and hmmm just "feel right". Some of my carpenter tools have that "feel right" factor, like my Belknap hammers and my Stanley 118 block plane. Tough to describe but if you've experienced it, you'd know.

It's also more than likely that I am easily annoyed. I used my former tripod a lot but was annoyed every time I did. All I can say is that after buying my RRS tripod and monopod, that is no longer the case. It's a joy to use both of them. I use my monopod almost all the time and find it effortless. When I shoot landscapes and some macro shots, I use my tripod and...... it's fun. I don't have to overcome some obstacle to get the shot... the camera and tripod are "one"... a bit of an exaggeration to make a point.

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,843 posts
Joined May 2011

Oct 04, 2013 06:55 |  #29

Frodge,

You'll have to weed through the advice.... a daunting task. I think you will find a tripod you can live with for hmmmm probably around $300... a tad over your budget... $170 or so for the legs and $120 something for the Sirui head so many have recommended on this thread and your other tripod thread.

For a set of under $200 legs, I'd take a close look at both Induro and Giottos..... I just checked Giottos site and they have redesigned their legs. They aren't bad for budget legs.

Here is the Amazon search link. I'd choose the YTL 9300 series that is the right height for you, if you decide Giottos is in the running.
http://www.amazon.com …s+ytl%2Celectro​nics%2C244 (external link)

Remember, you don't need the legs to be eye height as you have to add in the dimension of the head and your camera itself. My RRS legs are 68.25 inches, fully exended. I'm 6'1" and I don't need them fully extended unless I'm shooting the night sky or the moon. So perhaps this one would work for you, depending on how tall you are: www.amazon.com/Giottos​-YTL-Classic-Aluminum-Tripod/dp/B00CNY2FYK/ (external link)

Combine that with the recommended Sirui head (www.amazon.com/SIRUI-K-20X-Ballhead-Release-Capacity/dp/B004QC3COO​/ (external link)) and you might have a setup you can enjoy. Or the one X_tan ordered: http://www.amazon.com …e-Capacity/dp/B004QC6VOW​/ (external link)

Frodge
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,087 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Oct 04, 2013 07:07 |  #30

That head is actually the one that is currently in my b and h basket. I was going to combine that with te sirui legs.....

sponsored links

4,759 views & 0 likes for this thread
Camera tripod connection
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.