Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 03 Oct 2013 (Thursday) 09:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Automotive Photography - How do you make money

Myboostedgst
Goldmember
1,904 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Oct 03, 2013 09:47 |  #1

I am curious as to how you Automotive photographers are making an income.

- Personal shoots for clients and their personal vehicles
- Shooting for sale ads for clients (websites/classifieds/​auction houses/etc)
- Shooting commercial work for large corporations (auto manufacturers, tire companies, performance part companies, etc.)
- Selling prints at car shows
- Covering car shows, providing all images to host of car show

What about motorsports?
- contract out to be the official photographer for SCCA, ARCA, Moto-x (some racing series) and sell prints though them to participants
- snap photos at open track days and approach drivers and offer prints through your own website
- speak with a race team and photograph them and provide them with all images

How else are you making money? I would like to start making some money with shooting, but I don't know what options might be out there that I am not accounting for. I am obviously not going to jump right in and start shooting for GM/Ford/Chrysler, but I dont think that there is a large enough market for photoshoots of private clients cars. I am curious as to how you guys are making money.

Andrew | Midwest Automotive (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Instagram (external link)

sponsored links
dkizzle
Goldmember
1,184 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Oct 03, 2013 13:26 |  #2

Sounds like you have a good plan already. Start with the first item on the list and build from there.

I want to guest blog on your Landscape / Travel photography blog, PM for details

Nightstalker
Goldmember
1,666 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Oct 03, 2013 15:53 |  #3

You have PM.

PhotosGuy
75,877 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Oct 03, 2013 21:35 |  #4

Submitting my work to magazines

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

Myboostedgst
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,904 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Oct 03, 2013 23:29 as a reply to  @ PhotosGuy's post |  #5

Thanks for the posts everyone.

Andrew | Midwest Automotive (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Instagram (external link)

JacobPhoto
Goldmember
1,434 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Oct 04, 2013 02:54 |  #6

Most of my work is for one of about three editorial clients. I've been able to maintain long-term relationships with these clients due to both my photography abilities as well as my historical knowledge of the motorsport I cover (drifting). I also give them a turn-key solution (photos and article). I'm also the one suggesting several options for content, and the editor gives me the green light on the articles he likes best. This gives the editors the most efficient workflow, which is part of why they continue to use me.

I've also done a fair share of shoots directly for manufacturers (catalog shoots, poster shoots, etc) as well as some private shoots. Those always come and go, but the editorial work is fairly consistent.

Let me know if you have any questions. You'll see a lot of information in the other thread as well that is still very applicable.

~ Canon 7d / 5D ~ Novatron strobe setup + Vagabond
~ Some L glass, some flashes, the usual

Myboostedgst
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,904 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Oct 04, 2013 08:39 |  #7

JacobPhoto wrote in post #16345055 (external link)
Let me know if you have any questions. You'll see a lot of information in the other thread as well that is still very applicable.

Thanks for the info. By other thread are you referring to the thread that PhotosGuy linked too?

bradttu
548 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Oct 04, 2013 13:34 |  #8

My primary focus is automotive photography. I'll tell you how I got started from shooting in the local scene to now shooting for magazines, manufacturers, after market vendors, etc. This list (external link) is slated to include 4 more by the end of the year.

It's really not that difficult to get started either. There aren't "guidelines" or any "rules" to follow. You'll never get published that way. I'll get to that in a bit.

Sorry... I tend to get wordy. Just, humor me. ;)

I started shooting for free about 3 years ago in the local scene. Yes, free. Why?

1. I needed to get a portfolio started.
2. I needed to get my name out there in the local scene. As I shot, people would share my name. Then I'd get a shoot from this person and that person.
3. Most importantly, I had to develop an eye. You already know there's more to automotive photography than just picking up a camera and snapping. The more I shot, the more my eye developed and the better I got. So I kept shooting shooting shooting shooting and shooting. And then a little more shooting after that.

So going back to doing it for free... I did it for free because it's easy to convince someone to do something when it doesn't cost them anything. In this case, they're only out a little time. I knew there would be a time when I could start charging for it, but I wasn't about to charge someone to shoot their vehicle while I was learning. Why charge for subpar quality? Well that's my outlook on it.

Like everyone else, I eventually started a Facebook page to showcase my photography and extend my reach further into the local scene. Obviously I would friend the people I shoot for and tagged them in the shots I posted. Just another way for friends of friends to see my work. As expected, I started getting contacted to shoot for more.

Fast forward a little and I started having shots featured on automotive blogs like Jalopnik and others. Jalopnik used a handful of my shots for their "Ridiculously cool wallpapers". Some of the aftermarket pages like JC Whitney, Stylin Trucks, Nitto and Toyo Tires shared my shots and used them as their profile images. Obviously they asked if they could and I happily let them without asking for a dime. Why? Because I was more concerned with establishing myself in the market rather than making a few bucks. I had, and still have, a full time job so I wasn't concerned about that.

(Keep in mind I'm still still shooting and refining my skills as much as I can)

Fast forward some more... JC Whitney and StylinTrucks (same parent company, but different divisions) are using my shots in their catalogs and I land a couple of catalog covers. Finally! Now I'm getting somewhere! Getting a company to share a shot on their Facebook page is easy. Getting them to use an image as their Facebook cover image is a bit more difficult, but getting them to actually print your images, especially a cover, is when you know you're doing something right.

The time eventually came when it was time to invest in my name a little bit. I spent some money on NICE business cards. I wanted a card that made a statement. I didn't want cheap paper cards. So I went to the company that manufactures gift cards for major retailers that you like know VERY well. This same manufacturer does the room keys for most of the hotels and resorts in the US. Yes, my business cards are gift cards and room keys without the mag-strip on the back. They definitely get people's attention when I hand them out. I always hear, "Man, nice card!". I had shirts and hats made to hand out to people as a "thank you" for letting me shoot their car, truck, bike, etc. I bought myself a work shirt and had my logo stitched on the front pocket and back to wear while shooting and to wear when shooting at car shows. Simple things like this worked and people started recognizing the logo and would approach me at shows and at other car related functions to schedule a shoot.

My big break came when one of my images caught the eye of the editor of one of the magazines I would eventually start shooting for. Some truck page I follow shared one of my shots and tagged me in it. The editor commented and said, "nice shot". I didn't know who it was at the time until I went to his Facebook page and saw who he was. I simply thanked him for the comment and said that I would love to work with him if he ever had an opportunity in my area of the country. We started chatting and it went from there. I ended up being sent to Houston for my first "real" gig. I ended up landing the cover and a 5 page feature. The rest is history and that's when I started charging for a shoot. I could legitimately say that I was an automotive photographer that is published nationally. If you want magazine worthy images of your car, truck, or bike...I'm the guy.

I currently shoot for 10 different automotive magazines. I recently added a popular bagger magazine for a couple bikes I shot. So that makes 11 different publications. If you go to my website, click the "About Me" page and you can see the names and the aftermarket vendors I work with.

If you remember I said that there are not "rules" or "guidelines" to follow when submitting images. If you want to waste your time reading those, be my guest, but it won't do you any good. There are a handful of easy ways to get in touch with the editor, feature editor or another member of the staff.

1. Find the Facebook page of the magazine that features something you have to pitch to them. Send them a brief message with two or three images of the car that YOU shot. Give them a line or two about the car and it's mods. Don't waste their time with junk...the vehicle itself or your photos. This is where a first impression can make or break it for you.

2. If Facebook doesn't work for you, go to their website. There are typically "contact us" pages where you can select the recipient. Obviously you'd choose "editor" as the recipient. Type the same brief message, but you may have to include a link to the images if you can't attach them.

3. Grab a magazine on the newsstand and open it up towards the front where it lists the editorial staff. Look for the editor's name. Figure out how to get in touch with him. Editors will typically write a feature here and there, but they will typically always write something about coming events or this and will at some point welcome input or other communication from the readers by providing an email address. ding ding ding, you have an email address.

I hope I provided you with some helpful advice. Take it with a grain of salt if you want. :) Feel free to send me a PM with questions and we can go from there. I don't mind helping you along your way. Best of luck.

Facebook (external link)| Website (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/bradstillwellphotog​raphy (external link)

sirquack
Goldmember
2,565 posts
Gallery: 65 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2013

Oct 04, 2013 14:29 |  #9

Brad, I just happened to try to go to your website, and unless your link it bad, someone hacked your site. I would love to check out your work, so I will likely check out your Facebook site when I get home tonight.

Name is Ron.
Bodies - 6D/5D3/7D2-Gripped
Lenses - Canon 17-40 F4/24-70 F2.8 II/85 F1.8/Canon 70-200 F2.8 II/F4/Sigma 30 DC/Tamron 150-600
Website (external link)
Flickr (external link)

bradttu
548 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Oct 04, 2013 14:56 |  #10

ohhhh brother. That happened in the last hour or so. lol I'll have to see what's up with my webhosting co.

sirquack
Goldmember
2,565 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Oct 04, 2013 15:16 |  #11

Trust me, getting hacked sucks. I have a side business not related to photography and it was impacted once by DDOS attack and it kept our members from signing in. Made for a lot of extra work for the front desk manager until things got resolved.

Name is Ron.
Lenses - Canon 17-40 F4/24-70 F2.8 II/85 F1.8/Canon 70-200 F2.8 II/F4/Sigma 30 DC/Tamron 150-600
Website (external link)
Flickr (external link)

bradttu
548 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Oct 04, 2013 15:28 |  #12

No doubt. I'm the IT director at a large financial institution in town. I haven't had the blessing of any successful DDOS attacks. We can see attempts that look suspicious now and then, but we're locked down pretty tight. Unfortunately my site is hosted by a 3rd party so I have to rely on their security measures. I've been with them for about 4 years now and this is the first problem I've had. Their track record has been great so far. I've already put in for a restore to yesterday's backup.

We'll see what happens.

sirquack
Goldmember
2,565 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Oct 04, 2013 15:41 |  #13

I will definitely be taking a look later today at either the site of Facebook. I work at a major financial player during the day and our IT area is constantly being barraged by DDOS and other attacks. I am kind of glad I got out of IT years ago because long nights after attempted entries SUCKED.
Now I just keep track of the IT Assets the company has and I get to go home every night and just forget about work until the next morning. LOL

Name is Ron.
Website (external link)
Flickr (external link)

bradttu
548 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Oct 04, 2013 16:46 |  #14

Have a look now. I'm back in bidniss!

sirquack
Goldmember
2,565 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Oct 04, 2013 17:23 |  #15

Nice. I will be looking at it more after dinner, but what I have seen so far looks fantastic. You definitely have the skills to pay the bills.

Name is Ron.
Website (external link)
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

15,586 views & 0 likes for this thread
Automotive Photography - How do you make money
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.