Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 29 Sep 2013 (Sunday) 08:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Where do you purchase your lenses from?

henryp
419 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Oct 04, 2013 14:10 |  #76

johneo wrote in post #16342980 (external link)
I find Amazon prices are same as or usually a little less than other online retail.

And yet Helen and I are here and they're ... not. Call them and ask to speak to someone with a background in photography as a multi-year pro so you can get real-world advice about a product. I buy plenty fomr Amazon, books and CDs and cheap sneakers, but for serious advice about serious hardware and how it's used? Fuggedaboudtittt!

Henry Posner (external link)
B&H Photo-Video (external link)

sponsored links
henryp
419 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Oct 04, 2013 14:11 |  #77

archer1960 wrote in post #16343336 (external link)
Interesting; I couldn't get B&H to use regular Paypal at all; ...

I am very sorry. Feel free to email details so I can look into this.

henryp
419 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Oct 04, 2013 14:15 |  #78

carpenter wrote in post #16343413 (external link)
One thing that I like about Amazon is the return policy. If I don't feel the lens or other accessory is up to par, or I feel it has faults that aren't due to a manufacturing issue I return it at no cost. Not only do I return it at no cost, but I don't have to do anything or go out of my way to have it returned. I simply request a return online (incredibly easy process) tape the box back up, set it on the front step and Amazon has UPS come pick it up the next day. No need to even print a return label. All the while a new copy or a return is already being handled.

One thing that I like about B&His the return policy. If I don't feel the lens or other accessory is up to par, or I feel it has faults that aren't due to a manufacturing issue I return it at no cost. Not only do I return it at no cost, but I don't have to do anything or go out of my way to have it returned. I simply request a return online (incredibly easy process) tape the box back up, ... No need to even print a return label since it's emailed with the return authorization.

I'd be reluctant to leave a $1000 lens on my porch. Between when I lave it and when UPS comes to pick it up is a wide area of opportunity for neighborhood miscreants. YMMV.

Radders
Cream of the Crop
5,017 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 04, 2013 14:18 |  #79

HERE (external link)

HERE (external link)

and

HERE (external link)

All my lenses are second hand..

| 1DII | 7D | 60D | 6D | 100 2.8 | 50mm 1.4 | 11-16 2.8 | 24-105 4 | 70-300 IS USM |
Totallyrad.co.uk (external link) | Airplane-Pictures.net (external link) |Facebook Page (external link) | Russianplanes.net (external link)Gear list

henryp
419 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Oct 04, 2013 14:21 |  #80

RayinAlaska wrote in post #16344301 (external link)
Well, Helen, I have no idea how Crutchfield and Amazon do it. I pay the same amount of cash at both places for Canon lenses and cameras as I would pay at Adorama and B&H.

I'm not familiar with Crutchfield but I know two things about Amazon. For years they operated at a loss with serious negative cash flow in order to build market share. It's easy to offer freebies when making a profit isn't a priority. Today they sell a far wider range of items than Adorama or B&H. Some have far greater markups than the average camera or lens or other electronic device we sell. If you can make more on soft goods, you can more easily afford to skim prices on competitive electronics, shipping, etc.

And, they have no sales staff, no training programs so sales associates can help you choose Nikon vs Canon. No employees who used to be professional photographers to discuss the merits of soft boxes vs umbrellas or short vs butterfly lighting.

SeattleSpeedster
Goldmember
3,209 posts
Gallery: 567 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Nov 2006

Oct 04, 2013 14:24 |  #81

craigslist, ebay, other members here and on FM. I try to follow wealthy people with lens/gear ADHD around with cash.

I've never bought any gear new in 15 years of doing this. Clearly someone has to as my comment above alludes to.

Fuji GFX50s and A7R II | Zeiss 85mm f1.4 Otus and 28mm f1.4 Otus | Fuji GF23mm and 32-64mm | Canon 200mm f1.8 | Zeiss 100-300mm | Zeiss and Canon 16-35mm f4 | Zeiss 135mm f2 | Voigtlander 10mm f5.6 | Zeiss and Sony 50mm f1.4 | DJI Mavic Pro 2 and Inspire 2 X5S drones | https://mikereidphotog​raphy.com (external link)

Glenn ­ NK
Goldmember
4,630 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Oct 04, 2013 14:39 |  #82

Marc_CYBW wrote in post #16333132 (external link)
In Canada, The Camera Store
http://www.thecamerast​ore.com/ (external link)

Some day I might try B&H but cross border can be a hassle at times. Although I have great experience with lands End.

Camera Store seems to be a well kept secret.

Check their price on the 5DIII against that of B + H:

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …2&N=4288586280+​4291570227 (external link)

Then tell me why anyone in Canada would deal with couriers, customs, and brokers?

Glenn

When did voluptuous become voluminous?

johneo
Goldmember
1,428 posts
Joined Aug 2003

Oct 04, 2013 18:03 |  #83

henryp wrote in post #16346104 (external link)
And yet Helen and I are here and they're ... not. Call them and ask to speak to someone with a background in photography as a multi-year pro so you can get real-world advice about a product. I buy plenty fomr Amazon, books and CDs and cheap sneakers, but for serious advice about serious hardware and how it's used? Fuggedaboudtittt!

First off, I HAVE bought camera gear from both B&H and Adorama ... NO COMPLAINTS at all! Great gear and service! I value the info you provide here on POTN! I haven't had my Amazon Prime all that long but I do find the prices a little lower. Example ... just now checked on a Canon 7D (ok, older camera, whatever!) I can save $160 buying it on Amazon. Don't even know if I would have to pay shipping (won't with Prime! But I have no need for a 2nd 7D ... just checking! )

For me, $160 IS a significant amount. And I usually do check prices before ordering!

2 - 5DMKII's, Powershot SX 150 IS
7D, 5D, IR/5D, 10D, IR/10D, Elan 7NE
17-40 L, 24-70 L, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS, 100-400 L IS,
TS-E 24 f/3.5 L, 28-135 IS (x2), 50 f/1.8, 85 f/1.8 550EX, 430EX
40mm pancake

RayinAlaska
425 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2013

Oct 05, 2013 13:29 |  #84

henryp wrote in post #16346137 (external link)
I'm not familiar with Crutchfield but I know two things about Amazon. For years they operated at a loss with serious negative cash flow in order to build market share. It's easy to offer freebies when making a profit isn't a priority. Today they sell a far wider range of items than Adorama or B&H. Some have far greater markups than the average camera or lens or other electronic device we sell. If you can make more on soft goods, you can more easily afford to skim prices on competitive electronics, shipping, etc.

And, they have no sales staff, no training programs so sales associates can help you choose Nikon vs Canon. No employees who used to be professional photographers to discuss the merits of soft boxes vs umbrellas or short vs butterfly lighting.

Perhaps you are correct, but since you also work for B&H I will have to take your words with a grain of salt. And please don't get me wrong; I am aware that both B&H and Adorama are two of the most reliable retailers in the nation. That said, keep an eye on the market news relating to Amazon and new hires toward the new year.

Before I buy from Amazon, I do my homework relating to the product I plan to purchase. The same when I buy from Crutchfield, although the latter's customer service personnel are nothing but outstanding. Their video and audio technicians even help you on the telephone should you have any problem during the installation of electronic components at your home or automobile.

richp
55 posts
Joined Oct 2004

Oct 05, 2013 13:30 |  #85

I have had good luck with Adorama and B&H but a few years ago my company moved and our new office is about a block from a Calumet photo. Convenient but horrible for my wallet.

Canon 60D | Canon 15-85 | Tamron 70-200 f2.8 VC| Canon 50 f1.8 | 420EX

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,335 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Oct 05, 2013 13:34 |  #86

Calumet. I have had an account with them for a couple of decades.

HelenOster
That's me!
4,500 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Oct 05, 2013 15:37 |  #87

RayinAlaska wrote in post #16348244 (external link)
.....please don't get me wrong; I am aware that both B&H and Adorama are two of the most reliable retailers in the nation.....

I'm always taken aback when Adorama (and B&H) are compared with Amazon. Not only for the reasons that Henry cited, but because Amazon, is the world's largest Internet retailer, with fulfilment centers in 12 US States, PLUS, 3 locations in Canada, 4 locations in Scotland, 5 in England, 3 in Wales, 5 in France, 4 in each of Germany and Japan, 3 in China, and 1 in each of Slovakia and Italy.

Amazon operations are subsidized by investors who care only about growth. Pay for things by selling stock and you can provide twice the service for half the price. I once read that 'if the market ever catches on, Amazon would fold like a paper castle on a rainy day!"

Adorama is a family business in NYC with a single distribution center in New Jersey.....

Unfortunately, we can't even begin to think about competing with a behemoth like Amazon

jskaggs72
237 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Oct 05, 2013 15:46 |  #88

I Look for the best deal but usually use B&H or Adorama

Jay Skaggs
5D Mark II, 5D Mark III, 50mm 1.2, 85 mm 1.2, 24-70mm 2.8, 70-200mm 2.8, 100mm 2.8 ...
Virginia Beach Wedding Photographer (external link), Hampton Roads Wedding Photographer (external link)
Facebook (external link)

RayinAlaska
425 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2013

Oct 05, 2013 16:39 |  #89

HelenOster wrote in post #16348469 (external link)
I'm always taken aback when Adorama (and B&H) are compared with Amazon. Not only for the reasons that Henry cited, but because Amazon, is the world's largest Internet retailer, with fulfilment centers in 12 US States, PLUS, 3 locations in Canada, 4 locations in Scotland, 5 in England, 3 in Wales, 5 in France, 4 in each of Germany and Japan, 3 in China, and 1 in each of Slovakia and Italy.

Amazon operations are subsidized by investors who care only about growth. Pay for things by selling stock and you can provide twice the service for half the price. I once read that 'if the market ever catches on, Amazon would fold like a paper castle on a rainy day!"

Adorama is a family business in NYC with a single distribution center in New Jersey.....

Unfortunately, we can't even begin to think about competing with a behemoth like Amazon

Helen, while I agree with your points we can't ignore the fact that the only way a business can be successful is by increasing profit, regardless of growth or not. The market changes each day, and a great portion of the retail future may very well be the way Amazon and a myriad of new companies are conducting their business nowadays (on the Internet). Also, Adorama and B&H sell online just like Amazon. Right? I imagine that selling online can be more profitable than having customers visiting your store (?).

Just look at the online market around the nation: you can have a person in his or her home building widgets. That person has a webpage somewhere where he or she advertises and sells his or her "widgets," without having a store with all the added expenses. My wife is visiting a very small town in Northern Washington, and you won't believe the number of art pieces and other stuff the locals create. They do show their creations at some of the very few local stores, but the sales are being conducted online.

It's not that I agree with this view, but that's the way things are nowadays, and perhaps a reason why a lot of local business are closing their doors (competition is killing them). A lot of the expense is paying for the prime real state the store is using.

archer1960
Goldmember
4,930 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Oct 05, 2013 17:21 |  #90

RayinAlaska wrote in post #16348567 (external link)

It's not that I agree with this view, but that's the way things are nowadays, and perhaps a reason why a lot of local business are closing their doors (competition is killing them). A lot of the expense is paying for the prime real state the store is using.

Another big issue is the fact that many online retailers don't have to collect state and local sales taxes from many of their customers. Here in RI, that makes a 7% price difference right off the top. Once most states (or the feds) start requiring that, some of that price advantage will evaporate, while shipping costs will still be a factor for larger items.

Gripped 7D, gripped, full-spectrum modfied T1i (500D), SX50HS, A2E film body, Tamzooka (150-600), Tamron 90mm/2.8 VC (ver 2), Tamron 18-270 VC, Canon FD 100 f/4.0 macro, Canon 24-105 f/4L,Canon EF 200 f/2.8LII, Canon 85 f/1.8, Tamron Adaptall 2 90mmf/2.5 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Canon EX-430 flash, Vivitar DF-383 flash, Astro-Tech AT6RC and Celestron NexStar 102 GT telescopes, various other semi-crappy manual lenses and stuff.

sponsored links

18,539 views & 0 likes for this thread
Where do you purchase your lenses from?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.