Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
Thread started 16 Jul 2013 (Tuesday) 02:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Finally! The full frame NEX is coming!

Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
5,805 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 03, 2013 01:57 |  #76

I wouldn't even mind if it had no viewfinder, and just live view - all I want to know is when will it be available, and when will a lens adapter be available!

I'm hoping for CF-cards instead of SD, and dual card slots (maybe one CF, one SD) - this camera will have a lot of professional users.

sponsored links
jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Oct 03, 2013 06:36 |  #77

Osiriz wrote in post #16342597 (external link)
It's OMD design! I've never tried one of those, so I don't know if this is good or bad, but here's the news:

http://www.sonyalpharu​mors.com …olympus-omd-alike-design/ (external link)

Quote: "There is one big surprise concerning the design of the NEX-FF cameras. Sony had three different prototype designs and instead of going on the classic NEX-7 design they decided to go for the Olympus OMD alike design!

It means the camera has a Full Frame E-mount, has many of the NEX-7 controls and NEX-7 grip, but the viewfinder is in the middle!! And no, it doesn’t have the design from the A3000! It’s really something new, has just a tiny bit bigger size than the RX1. Both models (cheap and more expensive camera) do have the same design. And as I told you yesterday, the cheap model has a 24MP sensors and the more expensive model has a 36MP sensor."

I'll take the 36 MP model. :)

x_tan
Cream of the Crop
8,135 posts
Gallery: 137 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Sep 2010

Oct 03, 2013 07:14 |  #78

Should just say OM-D instead OMD - I though that was OMG design ;-)a

OM-D is fine; I'll go for the 36MP.

Canon 5D3 + Zoom (EF 17-40L, 24-105L & 28-300L, 100-400L II) & Prime (24L II, 85L II, 100L, 135L & 200 f/2.8L II; Zeiss 1,4/35)
Sony α7r + Zeiss 1,8/55 FE
Nikon Coolpix A; Nikon F3 & F100 + Zeiss 1,4/50
Retiring  (external link)

Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
5,805 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 03, 2013 09:10 |  #79

A7 (24MP) and A7r (36MP).

edge100
Goldmember
1,920 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Oct 03, 2013 09:25 |  #80

Osiriz wrote in post #16342597 (external link)
It's OMD design! I've never tried one of those, so I don't know if this is good or bad, but here's the news:

http://www.sonyalpharu​mors.com …olympus-omd-alike-design/ (external link)

Quote: "There is one big surprise concerning the design of the NEX-FF cameras. Sony had three different prototype designs and instead of going on the classic NEX-7 design they decided to go for the Olympus OMD alike design!

It means the camera has a Full Frame E-mount, has many of the NEX-7 controls and NEX-7 grip, but the viewfinder is in the middle!! And no, it doesn’t have the design from the A3000! It’s really something new, has just a tiny bit bigger size than the RX1. Both models (cheap and more expensive camera) do have the same design. And as I told you yesterday, the cheap model has a 24MP sensors and the more expensive model has a 36MP sensor."

Viewfinder in the middle on a mirrorless camera is a ridiculous skeumorphic design.

On an SLR, it has to be in the middle because the lens mount is (roughly) in the middle, and the viewfinder - by necessity - has to be directly above the lens mount. But the tradeoff to this is that you can't see outside of the viewfinder with the other eye, the way you can on a rangefinder camera, which does not require a central viewfinder.

But on a mirrorless camera, there is absolutely no reason to put the viewfinder in the middle, except as a skeumorphic design. The NEX-7 (e.g.) has it right; put the viewfinder on the side, so that the other eye can be used to see what is outside of the viewfinder.

Retro design is one thing; but slavishly copying designs that were themselves concessions to functionality is ludicrous.

Street and editorial photography in Toronto, Canada (external link)
Mirrorless: Fujifilm X-Pro1
Film: Leica MP | Leica M2 | CV Nokton 35/1.4 | CV Nokton 40 f/1.4 | Leitz Summitar 50 f/2 | Canon 50 f/1.2 LTM | Mamiya 7 | Mamiya 80 f/4.0 | Mamiya 150 f/4.5 | Mamiya 43 f/4.5
How to get good colour from C-41 film scans (external link)

Digitizing film with a digital camera (external link)

Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
5,805 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 06, 2013 08:42 |  #81

Also, hopefully DX Optics or PTLens releases some profiles for Canon/Nikon/Leica/Sigm​a lenses on the A7 and A7r, to correct for distortion, vignetting and CA.

That's one of the pros of using Canon lenses on Canon bodies - you can correct all these aberrations easily in DPP.

Osiriz
THREAD ­ STARTER
622 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Oct 06, 2013 14:02 as a reply to  @ Shadowblade's post |  #82

Canadian leak! :)

Body with 24MP sensor will be $1700 Canadian MAP.
Body with 36MP sensor will be $2300 Canadian MAP.

http://www.sonyalpharu​mors.com …rice-in-canadian-dollars/ (external link)

Terrific if true! .. It actually sounds too good to be true, but maybe Sony has decided that a good way to gain market share is to compete on price.

Osiriz
THREAD ­ STARTER
622 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Oct 07, 2013 07:40 as a reply to  @ Osiriz's post |  #83

The silence in this thread is disturbing. :| Perhaps most Canonites still can't fathom whats coming?

New info from SAR:

"The A73 uses a 36 Megapixel sensor that has no PDAF on sensor. And it also has no Anti Aliasing filter just like the Nikon D800E. The camera is more appropriate for High resolution photography (like Landscape pics)."

http://www.sonyalpharu​mors.com …-comes-without-aa-filter/ (external link)

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Oct 07, 2013 08:11 |  #84

Osiriz wrote in post #16352215 (external link)
The silence in this thread is disturbing. :| Perhaps most Canonites still can't fathom whats coming?

New info from SAR:

"The A73 uses a 36 Megapixel sensor that has no PDAF on sensor. And it also has no Anti Aliasing filter just like the Nikon D800E. The camera is more appropriate for High resolution photography (like Landscape pics)."

http://www.sonyalpharu​mors.com …-comes-without-aa-filter/ (external link)

You're doing a fine job keeping us updated. :)

Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
5,805 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 07, 2013 09:59 |  #85

Looks like I'll be ordering two or three of the 36MP version, plus some EF-NEX and Nikkor-NEX adapters.

Canon had better lift their game...

nekrosoft13
Goldmember
4,087 posts
Gallery: 185 photos
Joined Jun 2010

Oct 07, 2013 11:52 |  #86
bannedPermanent ban

wow, a 36mp OM-D like Sony.

could be very interesting!

Gear List

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
15,622 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Oct 07, 2013 11:58 |  #87

I'll take the a7, seems much more balanced, dont need the 36mp, but PDAF + Mirrorless + full frame = *drool*

I'll probably wait till they offer in body IS.

Sony A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - CV 21/3.5 - FE 35/2.8 - SY 35/1.4 AF - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

Ginga
370 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Oct 08, 2013 02:30 |  #88

I am extremely interested in the 36mp version. But I'm a bit troubled that they launch a "landscape focussed camera" without any wide angle lenses.

Sony A7R * 70-200 2.8L II * 24-70L II * Samyang 14
Recently sold: 5DIII * Sigma 35 *

Electric ­ Shepherd
997 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jun 2008

Oct 08, 2013 03:20 as a reply to  @ Ginga's post |  #89

Well there's a 10-18 for the current Nex range, I guess there will be an equivalent 15-27 or such like in the fullness of time. I'm hoping a future full frame model will allow current Nex lenses to still be used in "crop mode", if so I could be very tempted...

My Gear

My flickr (external link)

Osiriz
THREAD ­ STARTER
622 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Oct 11, 2013 10:18 as a reply to  @ Electric Shepherd's post |  #90

The security and secrecy around this camera is airtight, and no one has managed to snap a picture of it.

But that does not stop people from drawing it. :) This is what Sony's full frame mirrorless looks like:

From source: http://www.sonyalpharu​mors.com …s-the-real-camera-design/ (external link)

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i1266.photobuck​et.com …01/a7-a7r_zps2c683ed4.jpg (external link)

Announcement WILL happen october 16.
http://www.sonyalpharu​mors.com …tunning-event-ocotber-16/ (external link)

sponsored links

35,889 views & 0 likes for this thread
Finally! The full frame NEX is coming!
FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.