Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 08 Oct 2013 (Tuesday) 08:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Reasonable Priced Strobe

Vicke ­ Lynne
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Oct 08, 2013 08:43 |  #1

I currently use OCF with two speedlites. I am looking into using a stobe light instead. I do not shoot in a studio, only outside. Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced strobe that is capable of over powering sunlight if needed. TYIA

Vicke Lynne Photography (external link) is a family portrait and children's photographer located in Townsend, Delaware. Serving the New Castle and Kent County area.

sponsored links
gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,160 posts
Gallery: 22 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Oct 08, 2013 08:54 |  #2

To overpower daylight, full daylight, you are talking about needing around 1200 watt seconds of light. Not something thing that can be cheaply done. If you live with fill light and not overpowering full sun, but having enough power for most jobs look at the alien bee 1600.

HiepBuiPhotography
Goldmember
1,612 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Oct 08, 2013 09:12 |  #3

Einsteins are the way to go :D

Hiep Bui Photography | Harrisburg Wedding Photographer (external link)

TheAnt
Goldmember
1,386 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Oct 08, 2013 09:12 |  #4

You will also need a battery pack, such as the Vagabond Mini-Lithium if shooting outdoors.

6D EF 24-70 MkI - Σ 50 mm 1.4 - Σ 15mm 2.8 Fishie - 430EX II - AlienBees -
Website (external link) | Insta (external link) | 500px (external link)

PLLphotography
with the TF
5,183 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Apr 2009

Oct 08, 2013 09:54 |  #5

check out the Mettle 600 AD. I owned one once and there's a thread here about it.

comes with a battery pack.

http://www.amazon.com …r=8-1&keywords=mettle+600 (external link)

thread on POTN:
https://photography-on-the.net …4898&highlight=​mettle+600

Phillip - phillipwardphotography​.com (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Donate to POTN

Curtis ­ N
Master Flasher
19,129 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Oct 08, 2013 10:09 |  #6

gonzogolf wrote in post #16355232 (external link)
To overpower daylight, full daylight, you are talking about needing around 1200 watt seconds of light.

I would not make such a generalization. It's all about distance from light to subject and depends on how large an area you want to light up.

I agree with your recommendation for an Alienbees B1600 plus the Vagabond Mini Lithium power pack. In the US you can't beat that bang-for-the-buck when you want a portable, powerful light.

"If you're not having fun, your pictures will reflect that." - Joe McNally
Chicago area POTN events (external link)
Flash Photography 101 | The EOS Flash Bible  (external link)| Techniques for Better On-Camera Flash (external link) | How to Use Flash Outdoors| Excel-based DOF Calculator (external link)

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,160 posts
Gallery: 22 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Oct 08, 2013 10:14 |  #7

Curtis N wrote in post #16355456 (external link)
I would not make such a generalization. It's all about distance from light to subject and depends on how large an area you want to light up.

I agree with your recommendation for an Alienbees B1600 plus the Vagabond Mini Lithium power pack. In the US you can't beat that bang-for-the-buck when you want a portable, powerful light.

True its a generalization, but one backed with some experience. If you add a modifier and work more than a couple feet from the subject then you run out of juice to truly overpower the sun very quickly.

supfresh
222 posts
Joined Jun 2013

Oct 08, 2013 11:50 |  #8

+1 for Mettle 600w. Great for outdoors, a bit tricky to use indoors if in a small or really dark area (the lowest output is still pretty high), but I'm using speedlites at that point anyway.

Wedding (external link) - Facebook (external link)- Personal (external link)
5DMKIII / A7RII/ RICOHGR / 50L / 24-70L II/ 70-200 2.8 VC / 35A / 16-35L II / S85
Always some lens, never your lens.

PLLphotography
with the TF
5,183 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Apr 2009

Oct 08, 2013 12:25 |  #9

that's why I sold mine. I'm mostly indoors, and the while it packs a punch outside, inside it was just a bit too much.

I've got speedlites I use now. portable, and indoors they are more than enough....just miss the modeling light.

Phillip - phillipwardphotography​.com (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Donate to POTN

whoty
Goldmember
2,070 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Nov 2010

Oct 08, 2013 12:41 |  #10

It also depends on what kind of sunlight you want to overpower. Early morning sun and evening sun are way more easier to overpower vs midday sun.

There is nothing worse than a brilliant image of a fuzzy concept. - Ansel Adams
Instagram (external link)
Facebook (external link)
flickr (external link)

BrickR
Cream of the Crop
5,935 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Oct 08, 2013 14:04 |  #11

PLLphotography wrote in post #16355402 (external link)
check out the Mettle 600 AD. I owned one once and there's a thread here about it.

comes with a battery pack.

http://www.amazon.com …r=8-1&keywords=mettle+600 (external link)

thread on POTN:
https://photography-on-the.net …4898&highlight=​mettle+600

^+2

My junk
The grass isn't greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

Vicke ­ Lynne
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Oct 08, 2013 17:28 as a reply to  @ BrickR's post |  #12

I am sorry, I should have said exactly what I am looking for. Majority of the time I only use the flash for fill light. I want the strobe for sunset shots so that I can get the clouds and sunset in the picture also. I do not normally shoot outside is bright sun light so I would not need it for that (although I am willing to play around with it to see how I like it). What I meant by reasonable price is, I want the strobe to work great for the price. I dont mind spending the money, I just dont want to spend it on something that will not work. Thanks everyone for your responses :)

Vicke Lynne Photography (external link) is a family portrait and children's photographer located in Townsend, Delaware. Serving the New Castle and Kent County area.

windpig
Chopped liver
14,832 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 08, 2013 17:43 |  #13

This has been recommended as an option on another thread:
Godox XEnergizer Wireless Power-control Outdoor Flash ES-600P

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

Rocky ­ Rhode
Goldmember
1,416 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Oct 08, 2013 17:45 as a reply to  @ Vicke Lynne's post |  #14

What you want is the new Cheetah Light CL-360

This little baby will pack all the punch you will need for sunset photography and give you HSS which you cannot get with a studio strobe.

GEAR LIST Flickr (external link)

lbigdogg
52 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Oct 09, 2013 12:42 |  #15

gonzogolf wrote in post #16355466 (external link)
True its a generalization, but one backed with some experience. If you add a modifier and work more than a couple feet from the subject then you run out of juice to truly overpower the sun very quickly.

I've found it pretty easy to overpower the sun from a decent (6 to 10 feet maybe) distance with an AB1600 and a PLM.

g.

sponsored links

2,131 views & 0 likes for this thread
Reasonable Priced Strobe
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.