Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 09 Oct 2013 (Wednesday) 08:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sold the canon 50L and customer not happy..

davidfarina
Goldmember
3,357 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2013

Oct 09, 2013 11:13 |  #46

mzondeki wrote in post #16358183 (external link)
If I were the buyer, I would be seriously dissapointed, considering its a $1000+ lens. I don't own 1.2L, however I have several 50mm lenses. Even my $50 pentax 55/1.8 or Canon 50/1.4 is way way sharper than the images mentioned here. The only good image of the set is the sweet child's portrait, and then its more because of the child and her dress than the lens itself. OP may upload few images with manual focus and ISO-100, just to confirm.

Thats it. You dont have the 50L. If you would have it, you would know that the 50L is different

Stop it down to 1.4 and the Canon 1.4 version looks not so nice anymore ;)

Sony A7RII | Sony A7S
EF 40 | EF 70-300L | FD 35 Tilt-Shift
FE 16-35 | FE 28 | FE 90
CV 15 4.5 III | CV 40 1.4 MC | Summilux 50 ASPH
Website (external link) | 500px (external link)

sponsored links
ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
23,125 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2005

Oct 09, 2013 11:16 as a reply to  @ post 16358217 |  #47

nothing wrong with your lens. the 50L scores lower than any other modern L lens on fred Miranda and look at all the controversy on this forum about that lens. I can name a few guys who bought the lens, loved it, whined about it, sold it and then bought it again. some have done the cycle a couple of times.

you are either going to love or hate the 50L, maybe both, and that guy clearly hates it. refund his money and relist the lens. there's a 50/50 chance the next guy will love it.

http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/ (external link)
5D4, 80d, 16-35L III, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS II, 100-400L II, sigma 15 FE, sigma 14 f1.8, tc 1.4 III, 430exII, gitzo 3542L + markins Q20, gitzo GT 1545T + markins Q3T, gitzo GM4562

PLLphotography
with the TF
5,192 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Apr 2009

Oct 09, 2013 11:21 |  #48

I always make the remark that the 50L will make you its b*tch when you first get it. :)

For me, occassionally it still does :lol:

Phillip - phillipwardphotography​.com (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Donate to POTN

davidfarina
Goldmember
3,357 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2013

Oct 09, 2013 11:23 |  #49

PLLphotography wrote in post #16358241 (external link)
I always make the remark that the 50L will make you its b*tch when you first get it. :)

For me, occassionally it still does :lol:

Hahahaha true that, but i still love that lens :D

Sony A7RII | Sony A7S
EF 40 | EF 70-300L | FD 35 Tilt-Shift
FE 16-35 | FE 28 | FE 90
CV 15 4.5 III | CV 40 1.4 MC | Summilux 50 ASPH
Website (external link) | 500px (external link)

Salma
THREAD ­ STARTER
POTN is my life
3,822 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Oct 09, 2013 11:24 |  #50

ed rader wrote in post #16358229 (external link)
nothing wrong with your lens. the 50L scores lower than any other modern L lens on fred Miranda and look at all the controversy on this forum about that lens. I can name a few guys who bought the lens, loved it, whined about it, sold it and then bought it again. some have done the cycle a couple of times.

you are either going to love or hate the 50L, maybe both, and that guy clearly hates it. refund his money and relist the lens. there's a 50/50 chance the next guy will love it.

I agree. I was happy with this lens when I had it, I shot some amazing portraits with it and am more than happy to refund him if he doesn't want it. It's not like I was desperate to get rid of it I just wasn't using it enough.

I have explained this to him but I can't deal with the headache anymore, if he wants it he can keep it if he doesn't then i'll happily take it back and refund him excluding £12 postage.

I called fixation earlier to ask them to give me a quote for calibration and the guy said we can't really say until we have tested the lens it however if it does need repair it will cost between £90 to £130 which I am more than happy to pay to get this lens sorted if needed.

Like you say people views are mixed so until fixation check it out I wont know properly if the lens really has issues. I have given him until tomorrow to decide once he sends it back I will test it myself again and then send it out to get sorted if I feel it has any problems.

I own a bunch of Canon stuff and I love taking pictures. Follow me on twitter (external link) :o

PLLphotography
with the TF
5,192 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Oct 09, 2013 11:24 |  #51

davidfarina wrote in post #16358248 (external link)
Hahahaha true that, but i still love that lens :D

bw! rofl

Phillip - phillipwardphotography​.com (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Donate to POTN

PLLphotography
with the TF
5,192 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Oct 09, 2013 11:25 |  #52

Salma,

if you were unhappy with the 50L's ability with your camera body, it may be worth sending in both the lens and body to that company to see if they can calibrate the two together.

of course, a con to that would be if they had to adjust your body, then your other lenses may end up a little off...

Salma
THREAD ­ STARTER
POTN is my life
3,822 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Oct 09, 2013 11:27 |  #53

Here's another Lemur photo with this lens. It's only close ups that are a real problem.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i1367.photobuck​et.com …/IMG_5254_zpsac​bddf52.jpg (external link)

I own a bunch of Canon stuff and I love taking pictures. Follow me on twitter (external link) :o

Salma
THREAD ­ STARTER
POTN is my life
3,822 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Oct 09, 2013 11:28 |  #54

PLLphotography wrote in post #16358253 (external link)
Salma,

if you were unhappy with the 50L's ability with your camera body, it may be worth sending in both the lens and body to that company to see if they can calibrate the two together.

of course, a con to that would be if they had to adjust your body, then your other lenses may end up a little off...

That's what worries me. Calibrating that lens with my camera and causing issues for my other lenses bit of a nightmare.

Salma
THREAD ­ STARTER
POTN is my life
3,822 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Oct 09, 2013 11:29 |  #55

By the way guys. Image quality via photobucket looks VERY bad on here. You can see the detail better if you click the images and open in photobucket.

PitaDaVespa
82 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2009

Oct 09, 2013 11:34 |  #56

Salma wrote in post #16358260 (external link)
That's what worries me. Calibrating that lens with my camera and causing issues for my other lenses bit of a nightmare.

Don't worry. The camera has around 20 (I guess) memories, on for each focal length. So, any changes they would do would only be "active" when the 50mm is on the camera. Please notice: with any other 50mm it could, again, be discalibrated, though.

Salma
THREAD ­ STARTER
POTN is my life
3,822 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Oct 09, 2013 11:36 |  #57

PitaDaVespa wrote in post #16358277 (external link)
Don't worry. The camera has around 20 (I guess) memories, on for each focal length. So, any changes they would do would only be "active" when the 50mm is on the camera. Please notice: with any other 50mm it could, again, be discalibrated, though.

This is such a nightmare. My head hurts thinking about all this. I should've got this sorted when I first got the lens and thought it was too soft at 1.2.

DieselTech
73 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Oct 09, 2013 11:38 |  #58

PLLphotography wrote in post #16358136 (external link)
she is also unable to microadjust...factor that in, the pics look fine to me.

Those pics actually scare me =[

5D mk II, Rokinon 8mm, Rokinon 14mm, 28mm 1.8, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 85mm 1.2L II, 100mm 2.8L, 24-105mm L, 70-200mm 2.8L IS II

Salma
THREAD ­ STARTER
POTN is my life
3,822 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Oct 09, 2013 11:40 |  #59

DieselTech wrote in post #16358290 (external link)
Those pics actually scare me =[

Why?

aquaforester
886 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2011

Oct 09, 2013 11:43 |  #60

what's the exif on the lemur

Flickr (external link)

Current Gear
Canon 60D, 10-18, 24 Pancake, 60 macro, 70-200 F4

sponsored links

15,687 views & 0 likes for this thread
Sold the canon 50L and customer not happy..
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.