Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Wildlife Talk 
Thread started 03 Sep 2013 (Tuesday) 01:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Just became a member of a zoo

Geonerd
541 posts
Joined May 2009

Sep 30, 2013 14:04 |  #31

EastBayGirl wrote in post #16330089 (external link)
I get your point, what I don't get...is why you felt the need to post in this thread. You could of kept to yourself and let Salma enjoy her new membership. :(

He brought up a perfectly legitimate concern. People are slowly accepting the notion that keeping big-brained animals in a cage is really not acceptable.

IMO, stopping to chide him is far less relevant to the thread.

"Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk!" - E. Weston

sponsored links
Jarvis ­ Creative ­ Studios
Goldmember
2,405 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Aug 2013

Sep 30, 2013 17:32 |  #32

Geonerd wrote in post #16336117 (external link)
He brought up a perfectly legitimate concern. People are slowly accepting the notion that keeping big-brained animals in a cage is really not acceptable.

IMO, stopping to chide him is far less relevant to the thread.

Shall we weigh our options here: 1. Some endangered species slowly or quickly die off in the wild due to habitat destruction / natural causes. 2. Same endangered species get to be fed, bred, roam free during the day, and locked up at night.

My dog is VERY well taken care of. I play with him, love him uncontrollably, feed him, take him to the park, but while I'm at work he is locked in his crate. Would it be better for him to roam wild in the streets to be hit by a car/abused by sick individuals/fight for his life? I think not.

WEBSITE (external link)
flickr (external link)
Sony HX90V || Sony RX100V || Sony a6500 || Sony a9 || Sony E 10-18mm f/4 OSS || Sony FE 24-70 f/2.8 GM || Sony Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8 ZA || Sony Sonnar T* FE 55mm f1.8 ZA || Sony FE 70-200 f/2.8 GM OSS || Godox speedlights and strobes

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Oct 01, 2013 03:46 |  #33

Heh! A pet dog is not "wildlife"!:)

So, not to criticize the OP, but how do we define "wildlife" for this sub-forum?

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Salma
THREAD ­ STARTER
POTN is my life
3,822 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Oct 09, 2013 14:20 |  #34

tonylong wrote in post #16337579 (external link)
Heh! A pet dog is not "wildlife"!:)

So, not to criticize the OP, but how do we define "wildlife" for this sub-forum?

So which section do you recommend?

I own a bunch of Canon stuff and I love taking pictures. Follow me on twitter (external link) :o

Salma
THREAD ­ STARTER
POTN is my life
3,822 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Oct 09, 2013 14:21 |  #35

topdslrs wrote in post #16329380 (external link)
I hate zoos and I hate how these animals live their lives in these conditions. Sorry, it's against my deepest beliefs.

On the other hand there are many safaris where humans are encaged and protected in special vehicles driving around in the wilderness, it's much more beautiful, more adventurous and definitely more rewarding! You get to meet very interesting people and the animals don't look like they're posing for you :)

I understand but which section do zoo photographs go in then?

I own a bunch of Canon stuff and I love taking pictures. Follow me on twitter (external link) :o

Salma
THREAD ­ STARTER
POTN is my life
3,822 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Oct 09, 2013 14:30 |  #36

Ok guys.

I understand that zoo's may make some of you 'cringe' and you don't appreciate their existence but it really has nothing to do with me posting the photos in this section.

I've asked a few times now if people have issues with me posting these photos in this section i'd appreciate if those who do have a problem could share the correct section with me and i'll kindly ask a mod to move my thread.

Also if I have posted these in the wrong section then i'm pretty sure a moderator would've moved this thread by now.

EastBayGirl
Cream of the Crop
5,793 posts
Gallery: 100 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2011

Oct 09, 2013 14:59 as a reply to  @ Salma's post |  #37

There is a pet section and a wildlife section. They are not pets. Even though they are captive they are still wild animals. That leads me to believe they fit into wildlife. ;)
Got any pics?

Stina
flickr (external link)
Constructive criticism is always appreciated.

Salma
THREAD ­ STARTER
POTN is my life
3,822 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Oct 09, 2013 15:07 |  #38

EastBayGirl wrote in post #16358772 (external link)
There is a pet section and a wildlife section. They are not pets. Even though they are captive they are still wild animals. That leads me to believe they fit into wildlife. ;)
Got any pics?

Exactly. I didn't see a zoo section if I did I would've posted them in there. I've had these comments made several times before as well. I mean if people are anti-zoo that's not my problem lol. :oops:

Going to the zoo next week gonna take some more.

Here's a tiger though.

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7329/9687229253_53e77afd6e_z.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …/sitaraphotos/9​687229253/  (external link)
Whipsnade zoo (external link) by SalmaAliPhotography (external link), on Flickr

EastBayGirl
Cream of the Crop
5,793 posts
Gallery: 100 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2011

Oct 09, 2013 20:00 as a reply to  @ Salma's post |  #39

Beautiful tiger, Salma. :)

Stina
flickr (external link)
Constructive criticism is always appreciated.

Salma
THREAD ­ STARTER
POTN is my life
3,822 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Oct 09, 2013 20:05 |  #40

Thanks Stina <3

topdslrs
98 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Oct 11, 2013 02:08 |  #41

Salma wrote in post #16359385 (external link)
Thanks Stina <3

Salma, since editing your photos is OK, I'm going to Photoshop them and free up all your zoo animals ;)

Try our DSLR Simulator (external link)
TOPDSLRS.COM (external link)

Salma
THREAD ­ STARTER
POTN is my life
3,822 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Oct 11, 2013 03:57 |  #42

topdslrs wrote in post #16362309 (external link)
Salma, since editing your photos is OK, I'm going to Photoshop them and free up all your zoo animals ;)

Lol more than welcome <3

sponsored links

5,150 views & 0 likes for this thread
Just became a member of a zoo
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Wildlife Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.