Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 09 Oct 2013 (Wednesday) 08:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sold the canon 50L and customer not happy..

aquaforester
886 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2011

Oct 09, 2013 17:23 |  #76

Snafoo wrote in post #16359096 (external link)
At 1/2500 sec shutter speed, that's one helluva fast lemur.

That's what I was thinking, but yeah 1/2500 should be fast enough.

Flickr (external link)

Current Gear
Canon 60D, 10-18, 24 Pancake, 60 macro, 70-200 F4

sponsored links
aquaforester
886 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2011

Oct 09, 2013 17:25 |  #77

Salma wrote in post #16359088 (external link)
I really don't mind refunding as long as I don't have to refund his postage then it'll be an issue besides on that website some customers leave you negative feedback if they don't get their way.

Well that's the thing, Is it worth it if you get negative feedback. eBay is so buyer friendly these days.

Flickr (external link)

Current Gear
Canon 60D, 10-18, 24 Pancake, 60 macro, 70-200 F4

gtpstrunz1o98
85 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Oct 09, 2013 17:31 |  #78

Here you go!
Tripod
Shutter 13
ISO 100
F1.2
5D mk1

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7433/10177689126_0da1efda33_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …03285117@N06/10​177689126/  (external link)
Random Photos.jpg (external link) by TBDesignPhotography (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7449/10177742033_644a5491b8_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …03285117@N06/10​177742033/  (external link)
Random Photos-2.jpg (external link) by TBDesignPhotography (external link), on Flickr

kin2son
Goldmember
4,546 posts
Joined May 2011

Oct 09, 2013 17:48 |  #79
bannedPermanent ban

nekrosoft13 wrote in post #16359097 (external link)
I kind of agree with that... but ebay can be full of crybabies.

Well he can cry all he wants.

If the buyer thinks the L is a lot sharper than his 1.4 and doesn't know nor have realistic expectation @ f1.2, then that's his problem.

5D3 Gripped / 17-40L / Σ35 / 40 Pancake / Zeiss 50 MP / Σ85 / 100L Macro / 70-200 f2.8L II IS / 430 EX II / 580 EX II / Canon 2xIII TC / Kenko Ext. Tubes
EOS M / EF-M 18-55 / EF-M 22f2 / Ricoh GR aka Ultimate street camera :p
Flickr (external link) | My Images on Getty®‎ (external link)

Vladdo
333 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Apr 2013

Oct 09, 2013 18:09 |  #80

I don't understand why people think ebay is a place to test items and if they don't like it, return it without consequences..

If someone had my $1000 lens and I wasn't there in person to see whats happening to it, I wouldn't be accepting it back. It could've been dropped.. swapped for another lens.. or anything else..

Ebay isn't a retail store.. you buy stuff and accept the consequences, unless it's significantly different to what you bid on.. If you want to fluff around and test lenses to make sure that they're not soft, go do it in person or go to a shop and pay the price of getting 'service'..

Then again, I've never sold anything on ebay in the last 10 years as I prefer to sell in person, so that the buyer can inspect the item and test it and make sure that they're happy with it, and I get the cash. Whatever happens after that exchange is your business.

My Website (external link) | My Facebook (external link) | My Books (external link)

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Oct 09, 2013 18:14 |  #81
bannedPermanent ban

Vladdo wrote in post #16359183 (external link)
I don't understand why people think ebay is a place to test items and if they don't like it, return it without consequences..

If someone had my $1000 lens and I wasn't there in person to see whats happening to it, I wouldn't be accepting it back. It could've been dropped.. swapped for another lens.. or anything else..

Ebay isn't a retail store.. you buy stuff and accept the consequences, unless it's significantly different to what you bid on.. If you want to fluff around and test lenses to make sure that they're not soft, go do it in person or go to a shop and pay the price of getting 'service'..

Then again, I've never sold anything on ebay in the last 10 years as I prefer to sell in person, so that the buyer can inspect the item and test it and make sure that they're happy with it, and I get the cash. Whatever happens after that exchange is your business.

I agree with you as long as everything was disclosed in the ad. Now if we are dealing with a soft lens...softer than other copies of this lens, then this needs to be stated in the ad. If this is the case, a soft copy of a lens, I think you should refund the price since the item was not as described. This is only the logical thing to do.

Now all this assumes this lens is a lemon for which the jury is still out.

Salma
THREAD ­ STARTER
POTN is my life
3,822 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Oct 09, 2013 18:17 |  #82

I am refunding him because I didn't state that it's soft at 1.2. I didn't say I wasn't refunding him.

I own a bunch of Canon stuff and I love taking pictures. Follow me on twitter (external link) :o

adamo99
Goldmember
1,173 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Mar 2007

Oct 09, 2013 18:28 |  #83

From the samples posted here, it certainly does look like that lens would benefit from at minimum an MFA adjustment, or a full calibration.

Salma
THREAD ­ STARTER
POTN is my life
3,822 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Oct 09, 2013 18:29 |  #84

adamo99 wrote in post #16359212 (external link)
From the samples posted here, it certainly does look like that lens would benefit from at minimum an MFA adjustment, or a full calibration.

Thank you Adam. :)

I own a bunch of Canon stuff and I love taking pictures. Follow me on twitter (external link) :o

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
16,066 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Oct 09, 2013 18:53 |  #85

Hogloff wrote in post #16359192 (external link)
I agree with you as long as everything was disclosed in the ad. Now if we are dealing with a soft lens...softer than other copies of this lens, then this needs to be stated in the ad. If this is the case, a soft copy of a lens, I think you should refund the price since the item was not as described. This is only the logical thing to do.

this would be very hard to do for inexperienced shooters with no baseline copy to compare it to. The 50L is a particularly odd lens as well. The closer you are to MFD, the softer the lens gets. When subject is a good distance away, it's very acceptable in sharpness.

Sony A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - SY 24/2.8 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 17-28/2.8 - 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

Salma
THREAD ­ STARTER
POTN is my life
3,822 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Oct 09, 2013 18:53 |  #86

I'm sorry but half way through this thread I had already decided that refunding him was the best thing to do. I don't know why people keep repeating it over and over like i'm refusing to refund the guy.

Vladdo
333 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Apr 2013

Oct 09, 2013 18:58 |  #87

Being soft or not is subjective.. The buyer bought a secondhand item via an auction from a private seller. It is up to the buyer to wear the cost of buying secondhand which is reflected in the price of the item. As has been noted, the seller/OP doesn't know whether it's soft or not and hasn't been an issue for him until it's been sold.

The buyer should have bought a brand new copy with a returns policy and not waste everyone's time being picky because he cheaped out. If the buyer had actually done his homework and realised that this lens is subjective in terms of softness then he shouldn't have bought it in the first place. Someone else shouldn't have to wear the cost of his 'change of mind'.

If it was me, I'd not offer a returns policy and leave it at that.

My Website (external link) | My Facebook (external link) | My Books (external link)

Salma
THREAD ­ STARTER
POTN is my life
3,822 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Oct 09, 2013 18:59 |  #88

Guys I just got this reply and i'm starting to get concerned.

'Hi Salma,

I'm so sorry for my lack of replies today. I am up to my eyes in a shoot (hence the testing) and haven't had a chance to even check my mail properly except briefly.

I really appreciate you off to split the Fixation fee. The Lens is very safe,and temporarily on my insurance to out your mind at rest,I treat all my equipment with exceptional care and it shall not come out of its box unless in going to keep it or get it ready to return to you. Can you give me a couple of days to catch up with things? I'm sorry my timing is so bad (regarding work and therefore not able to get to say fixation straight away).

I will be in touch in a few days to let you know how what I think is best to do.

Many thanks and again sorry for lack of radio contact today.

Kind regards'

I am actually getting worried he should no way keep my lens if he's gonna request to send it back at a later date right??

JeremyKPhoto
Goldmember
1,633 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Oct 09, 2013 19:05 |  #89

Well if he is on a semester schedule like me, then he is in the middle of mid terms right now. It is understandable that he is very busy with school work and from his email he seems very kind and does not give off any signs of trying to scam you. It seems like he may be wanting to do some more tests to see if he can be happy with it and if not then talk with you, package it up, and mail it back when the week clears up. I would maybe give it until the end of Friday and see what he says, but again, it all depends on when he received it.

5D Mark III / 70-200 2.8L IS II / 24-105L / 50 1.8 stm / Tamron 70-300 VC / Sigma 85mm 1.4 Art

kin2son
Goldmember
4,546 posts
Joined May 2011

Oct 09, 2013 19:05 |  #90
bannedPermanent ban

Salma wrote in post #16359198 (external link)
I am refunding him because I didn't state that it's soft at 1.2. I didn't say I wasn't refunding him.

What we are trying to say is you shouldn't refund him.....

First of all the 50L is known to be soft! It's by far one of the least sharp L...That's a fact and well documented.

Secondly what's considered soft is highly subjective....

From your samples it's well established that your copy is within specs, which means you should not refund him....

5D3 Gripped / 17-40L / Σ35 / 40 Pancake / Zeiss 50 MP / Σ85 / 100L Macro / 70-200 f2.8L II IS / 430 EX II / 580 EX II / Canon 2xIII TC / Kenko Ext. Tubes
EOS M / EF-M 18-55 / EF-M 22f2 / Ricoh GR aka Ultimate street camera :p
Flickr (external link) | My Images on Getty®‎ (external link)

sponsored links

15,792 views & 0 likes for this thread
Sold the canon 50L and customer not happy..
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.