Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 09 Oct 2013 (Wednesday) 08:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sold the canon 50L and customer not happy..

Salma
THREAD ­ STARTER
POTN is my life
3,822 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Oct 09, 2013 19:07 |  #91

Ratjack wrote in post #16359276 (external link)
Well if he is on a semester schedule like me, then he is in the middle of mid terms right now. It is understandable that he is very busy with school work and from his email he seems very kind and does not give off any signs of trying to scam you. It seems like he may be wanting to do some more tests to see if he can be happy with it and if not them talk with you, package it up, and mail it back when the week clears up.

How do I know if he is genuine? Maybe that's how scammers come off as? I think he should send it back to me asap. I am getting very worried, I don't want someone to have my lens for a few days only to ask for a refund. He should've gone to lensesforhire.co.uk or some thing.

I own a bunch of Canon stuff and I love taking pictures. Follow me on twitter (external link) :o

sponsored links
Salma
THREAD ­ STARTER
POTN is my life
3,822 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Oct 09, 2013 19:10 |  #92

kin2son wrote in post #16359279 (external link)
What we are trying to say is you shouldn't refund him.....

First of all the 50L is known to be soft! That's a fact and we'll documented.

Secondly what's considered softs is highly subjective....

From your samples it's well established that your copy is within specs, which means you should not refund him....

Some people in this thread think otherwise. He is confusing me now. Wasting my time.

I own a bunch of Canon stuff and I love taking pictures. Follow me on twitter (external link) :o

gtpstrunz1o98
85 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Oct 09, 2013 19:11 |  #93

Give him a deadline since we are talking about high dollar value lens. It's alright to be paranoid and recently I dealt with one member here. We were going to trade lenses my "L" lens for his Tokina. He somehow believed that I was going to steal his Tokina since I asked for him to send his lower value lens first. Anyways, give him a deadline.

Tommydigi
Cream of the Crop
5,611 posts
Gallery: 51 photos
Joined May 2010

Oct 09, 2013 19:13 |  #94

I always thought when you buy/sell used its as is. I have sold a few lenses over the years and I would never accept a return. I have always done mine local through craigslist so the buyer gets to test it out first and inspect it so its really never even been an issue. I have also purchased a few used lenses and I would never even think to return it after I made the purchase. I just always assumed its not an option. I really would not be comfortable taking a lens back from someone who had it for a week or so.

Website (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Instagram (external link)
Canon 5DII • 7DII • G7XII • 24LII • 50L • 100L • 135L • 40 STM • 16-35L F4 IS • 100-400L II • 600EX II • 270 EX II

gtpstrunz1o98
85 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Oct 09, 2013 19:14 |  #95

To my understanding private sale on eBay seems to be a no return sale.

Salma
THREAD ­ STARTER
POTN is my life
3,822 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Oct 09, 2013 19:14 |  #96

gtpstrunz1o98 wrote in post #16359292 (external link)
Give him a deadline since we are talking about high dollar value lens. It's alright to be paranoid and recently I dealt with one member here. We were going to trade lenses my "L" lens for his Tokina. He somehow believed that I was going to steal his Tokina since I asked for him to send his lower value lens first. Anyways, give him a deadline.

I have. I don't want some guy I have no clue about tampering with my lens for a few days, i've told him to either send it back tomorrow and provide me with a tracking number or keep it as I wont refund him if I recieve it later than friday. If he posts via special next day delivery I should get it on Friday and if he doesn't then there's no chance i'm refunding him.

Salma
THREAD ­ STARTER
POTN is my life
3,822 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Oct 09, 2013 19:15 |  #97

Tommydigi wrote in post #16359296 (external link)
I always thought when you buy/sell used its as is. I have sold a few lenses over the years and I would never accept a return. I have always done mine local through craigslist so the buyer gets to test it out first and inspect it so its really never even been an issue. I have also purchased a few used lenses and I would never even think to return it after I made the purchase. I just always assumed its not an option. I really would not be comfortable taking a lens back from someone who had it for a week or so.

This is my problem. I'd rather have it back as soon as possible so I can sell it again or even keep it, this is just a waste of time now.

gtpstrunz1o98
85 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Oct 09, 2013 19:17 |  #98

Do not refund until you feel comfortable your lens is the same as it left your hands.

estabro
82 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Oct 09, 2013 19:19 |  #99

I sell a lot on ebay.

If a buyer does not want the item, then just refund it. I offer 14 day returns on everything provided the original shipping cost is non-refundable.

Canon 6D 50mm 1.4 and 16-35mm f/4 IS

JeremyKPhoto
Goldmember
1,633 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Oct 09, 2013 19:20 |  #100

I don't ever use Ebay because of issues like this. If you choose to refund him he may take his time getting it back to you. Then, if you say you will not refund him he will simply go to paypal and file a claim and get a refund anyways. Ebay and Paypal pretty much always side with the buyer in my experience.

5D Mark III / 70-200 2.8L IS II / 24-105L / 50 1.8 stm / Tamron 70-300 VC / Sigma 85mm 1.4 Art

Salma
THREAD ­ STARTER
POTN is my life
3,822 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Oct 09, 2013 19:37 |  #101

gtpstrunz1o98 wrote in post #16359305 (external link)
Do not refund until you feel comfortable your lens is the same as it left your hands.

You're right maybe I was hasty but i've contacted paypal and told them to tell him to send the lens back to me asap or keep it. Hoping they will understand that I don't want this person to borrow my lens like he hired it.

estabro wrote in post #16359310 (external link)
I sell a lot on ebay.

If a buyer does not want the item, then just refund it. I offer 14 day returns on everything provided the original shipping cost is non-refundable.

I am not willing to offer 14 days return or exchange on an £800 lens.

Ratjack wrote in post #16359314 (external link)
I don't ever use Ebay because of issues like this. If you choose to refund him he may take his time getting it back to you. Then, if you say you will not refund him he will simply go to paypal and file a claim and get a refund anyways. Ebay and Paypal pretty much always side with the buyer in my experience.

Bloody nightmare.

arctic98z
187 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2011

Oct 09, 2013 19:39 |  #102

Salma wrote in post #16359300 (external link)
I have. I don't want some guy I have no clue about tampering with my lens for a few days, i've told him to either send it back tomorrow and provide me with a tracking number or keep it as I wont refund him if I recieve it later than friday. If he posts via special next day delivery I should get it on Friday and if he doesn't then there's no chance i'm refunding him.

It feels like at this point, this might be the best thing to do. I understand things come up, but in a situation like this, or when someone else is depending on me, I try to make that a priority. Sounds a little weird they want to wait a few days. I would hate to think they are using it for their 'shoot' or whatever, and plan to return it when they are done.

Sean
5D III | 16-35L II | 35L | 50L | 85L II | 70-200L IS II | 1.4x II
600EX-RT
flickr (external link)

Salma
THREAD ­ STARTER
POTN is my life
3,822 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Oct 09, 2013 19:43 |  #103

arctic98z wrote in post #16359349 (external link)
It feels like at this point, this might be the best thing to do. I understand things come up, but in a situation like this, or when someone else is depending on me, I try to make that a priority. Sounds a little weird they want to wait a few days. I would hate to think they are using it for their 'shoot' or whatever, and plan to return it when they are done.

This is what's worrying me so bad. To save a bit of £££ he has 'borrowed' my lens instead of using a hire company. I could be wrong but come on a few days? I am not a camera company. This is taking the piss now. Pardon me.

I can't explain how infuriated I am, I mean I am more than happy to take it back but now he is saying 'give me a few days to think'.

bps
Cream of the Crop
7,607 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Oct 09, 2013 20:29 |  #104

Wow, that's definitely frustrating!

Bryan

My Gear List

arctic98z
187 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2011

Oct 09, 2013 21:19 |  #105

Salma wrote in post #16359353 (external link)
This is what's worrying me so bad. To save a bit of £££ he has 'borrowed' my lens instead of using a hire company. I could be wrong but come on a few days? I am not a camera company. This is taking the piss now. Pardon me.

I can't explain how infuriated I am, I mean I am more than happy to take it back but now he is saying 'give me a few days to think'.

I have a hard time believing that was their plan from the beginning but things have played out a little weird. I think its mighty honorable for you to have offered a refund, since like others have mentioned, you might not have had to do that. But I think you can only do so much as well. A transaction done online between two people that don't know each other requires trust and effort on both parts. If they want to return the lens, then do it, if not, then keep it. No trial periods. It either works or doesn't. I think I would be tempted to put a little pressure on to make a decisions.

Like others have mentioned, I research a product before I buy it. Especially something that expensive. I know what I'm looking for before I buy, and if it doesn't turn out to be what I thought, than thats my loss. If it was received in a condition other than as advertised, or physically defective, then thats a different story. I think if it were me, I would offer the refund if they thought it was really that big of a deal, but there needs to be a time limit. And a few days to weeks? ... No! not cutting it for me

Sean
5D III | 16-35L II | 35L | 50L | 85L II | 70-200L IS II | 1.4x II
600EX-RT
flickr (external link)

sponsored links

15,788 views & 0 likes for this thread
Sold the canon 50L and customer not happy..
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.