Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 10 Oct 2013 (Thursday) 11:26
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

RFID Technology

cpjanda
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Oct 10, 2013 11:26 |  #1

Hey everyone,

So I was wondering where is the technology at with RFID? I know some resorts set up camera locations where you can wave your wristband with a chip and have a photo taken. However, has it reached the point where a large group of people can have RFID wristbands, you take a photo, and everyone can be identified?

I have a client asking about this for a large event / concert setting.

Thanks,
Chuck

xchangx
507 posts
Joined May 2007

Oct 10, 2013 12:49 |  #2

Not unless a kind of program can record the ID of the RFID and embed it into the metadata. If you are talking about just optically being able to pick up the ids, then no. But, if you have everyone scan in before taking the picture, then possibly.

Nikon D4s / 2x D3s / D3 / 17-35 2.8 / 70-200 2.8 / 600 f4
Freelance sports photographer for Getty Images Sports, Entertainment and News
Freelance sports photographer for Sports Illustrated
My Images with Getty (external link)
My Sportsshooter Page (external link)
My Website (external link)

Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Oct 10, 2013 17:15 |  #3

There are some industrial RFID technologies that could be adapted, but I have yet to see a system that will work for you out of the box.

I've been toying with this problem for sports photography, but using battery powered active emitters for more reliable detection, by having a receiver that mounts to the camera, and then syncing the data in a post process. Biggest problem I have been facing is that the signal simulations I've run all did very poorly in an average indoor venue due to signal multi-path producing multiple hits for a given transmitter. It would require extra work in the receiver unit to filter out the 'ghosts' from signals the bounce off the ceiling or support columns and appear to come from a different angle.

But the active transmitters don't need to be much larger than a AA battery, and could even be made exceptionally small.

My biggest stumbling blocks on the project have been time to devote to designing and developing a suitable set of prototypes, and the money to do build the things.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

J ­ Michael
973 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Feb 2010

Oct 10, 2013 17:40 |  #4

With programming just about anything is possible. 1) start a group photo 2) everyone interested in a photo gets scanned 3) save the group & shoot. An event isn't going to spend big bucks on long range tags so develop a strategy that works with short range tags.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

797 views & 0 likes for this thread
RFID Technology
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.