Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 09 Oct 2013 (Wednesday) 08:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sold the canon 50L and customer not happy..

Salma
THREAD ­ STARTER
POTN is my life
3,822 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Oct 10, 2013 08:13 |  #121

Hogloff wrote in post #16360117 (external link)
Tell me where you can get a lens calibrated for £30.

:lol:

I own a bunch of Canon stuff and I love taking pictures. Follow me on twitter (external link) :o

sponsored links
Salma
THREAD ­ STARTER
POTN is my life
3,822 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Oct 10, 2013 08:14 |  #122

I would like to say thanks to everyone for your responses and advice. There was no one else who was understanding my predicament, i'm glad I could share my issue here though and talk about it to people that actually understand.

I own a bunch of Canon stuff and I love taking pictures. Follow me on twitter (external link) :o

PitaDaVespa
82 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2009

Oct 10, 2013 09:30 |  #123

Hogloff wrote in post #16360117 (external link)
Tell me where you can get a lens calibrated for £30.

I didn't say £30, I said around £30.

I have all my lenses calibrated with my Canon 5D. Since most of them were bought new, Canon CPS in Portugal did it for free.
Only once I had to pay for it and, in that case, I payed €45 (IIRC) to calibrate 3 lenses with my 40D.

Please note that calibration doesn't require any ajustment on the lens (unless it has a problem). Calibration in done in the body, connecting it to a computer, doing a series of shots to check AF accuracy and adjusting it (the AF), if required, on the body, to that focal length. It's something that can be done in minutes.

elleana
155 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Oct 10, 2013 20:45 |  #124

Salma wrote in post #16360064 (external link)
I just got this email from fixation. The buyer really needed to do his research and so did I lol.

Hi Salma,

J*** here, the person behind the Fixation twitter page.

I spoke to a technician about your images and we looked at them together. In his opinion your lens is performing as we would expect it to as there are a few important things to be aware of with the 50mm.

1. At maximum aperture f1.2 the lens will deliver lower contrast in your images. This is clear in your last picture of the young girl, we zoomed in on the picture and there is plenty of sharp detail on her hair and definition in her eyebrows and the velvet bow however the detail doesn't "pop" as the colours do not have much contrast. This should be possible to bring back with some subtle contrast adjustment and sharpening in photoshop or similar post-production software.

2. Very well demonstrated in your series of jewellery images; as you open the aperture the plane of focus moves slightly. At smaller appertures this does not often affect image quality as the depth of field is wide enough to compensate but with the lens wide open this can cause significant focus inaccuracy.

3. The depth of field is incredibly shallow. At the lens' closest focusing distance 45cm the depth of field is only 3mm, any detail outside of that narrow range will begin to blur and foreground detail may further soften the area inside your plane of focus.

I can see all 3 of these issues causing an effect on your images, especially the progression of jewellery images, which range from higher contrast with a broader depth of field at 2.4 to a softer more ethereal look at 1.2 which still retains edge sharpness on a small slice of the image visible in the fourth bead from the left.

For your studio, tripod set-up the technician had one recommendation, rather than relying on the cameras autofocus system you may get better results focusing manually with live-view, this can be zoomed in 10x and you can see the image as it is projected on the sensor so you can be sure that the right point is truly focussed, this will give you a greater amount of control.

I hope this has helped, if you have any further queries don't hesitate to email me direct on:

So did you speak to the buyer again after you received this?

Side note - 3mm DOF!!!

6D | EF 17-40mm f/4L USM | EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 ART | EF 85mm f/1.8 USM

clarkent1
134 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Oct 10, 2013 21:35 |  #125

elleana wrote in post #16361832 (external link)

Side note - 3mm DOF!!!

i own this lens and didnt think it was 3mm!!!....time to go apologize to it for user error.

glad Salma got this done with, some extra money is always worth the lack of stress otherwise!

Canon 5D Mark III - 35L - 50L - 85L II

ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
23,134 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2005

Oct 10, 2013 21:47 |  #126

Salma wrote in post #16360014 (external link)
I've refunded him £55 now, I really can't be bothered to drag this on anymore. I did email fixation yesterday and also speak to someone on the phone and he said that that calibration can cost between £90-£130 which is why I did what I did.

Since that delivery of the lens I have been really stressed out I can finally relax now.

I may sound very stupid right now but I honestly feel like this heavy burden has been lifted from me lol.

I've done that a few time on ebay and a few times I knew the buyer was lying but sometimes expectations just don't line up. there's a good chance he worked you but I know you are relieved to have gotten closure so you can move on. I would do business with you anytime :D!

http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/ (external link)
5D4, 80d, 16-35L F4 IS, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS II, 100-400L II, sigma 15 FE, sigma 14 f1.8, tc 1.4 III, 430exII, gitzo 3542L + markins Q20, gitzo GT 1545T + markins Q3T, gitzo GM4562

jrbdmb
Goldmember
1,291 posts
Joined May 2011

Oct 10, 2013 23:41 |  #127

kin2son wrote in post #16359033 (external link)
DO NOT REFUND!

I'm sorry but I don't think eBay is a place where you can ask for a refund simply because the buyer changes his mind?

If the lens is within specs and working, why should you refund?

I know you've already taken care of this, but I want to point out that the above is ABSOLUTELY THE WRONG ADVICE!!!!!

For U.S. eBay, if the buyer opens a case and wants a refund, and the seller refuses, eBay will absolutely refund the buyer out of the seller's account and may allow the buyer to keep the lens!!

If the buyer wants a refund, immediately tell you will issue a full refund as soon as you receive the item back. Refusing to accept a return can be a *very* bad thing.

Tools: 70D, 10-22, Tamron 24-70 VC, 70-300L, 135 f2L

jrbdmb
Goldmember
1,291 posts
Joined May 2011

Oct 10, 2013 23:48 |  #128

Salma wrote in post #16359345 (external link)
I am not willing to offer 14 days return or exchange on an £800 lens.

Bloody nightmare.

It doesn't matter what you are willing to do. If a buyer on eBay has an issue with something you sold him, they can open a case against you. If you refuse to refund, eBay *will* force you to refund and *may* let the buyer keep the item. A gigantic NO RETURNS in your listing makes no difference.

If you sell on eBay you gotta follow their rules. Perhaps eBay in the UK or Australia have different rules, but at least for the US anyone spouting "NO REFUNDS!" doesn't have a clue on how eBay works.

The two biggest misconceptions about selling on eBay I see over and over are:
1. "No refunds!" Unless the items is listed in "broken/for parts" condition, the buyer can always get a refund if the item doesn't meet their expectations.
2. "Any damage in shipment is the buyer's responsibility." No, eBay will refund the buyer every time if the item is damaged in shipment. Shipping insurance is for the sellers protection, and should be included in the S/H for items of value.

Tools: 70D, 10-22, Tamron 24-70 VC, 70-300L, 135 f2L

kram
obvious its pointless
2,610 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Oct 11, 2013 02:00 |  #129

jrbdmb is right. When one reads the fine print of ebay, esp ebay US, its fairly obvious they want to increase the confidence of the buyer and are willing to let the seller take the hit. Add to it the fees they charge, I have stayed away from ebay sales for some time now.

I post on craiglist, keep all communication to e-mail only, expect a 1 month window before someone from the local market will meet face to face and buy it for cash. The only other sale I do is with a long time POTNer :)

Canon 7D , Canon 6D, 100-400 L, 24-105 F4 L, 50 F1.4, Tokina 12-24 F4, Kenko Teleplus Pro DG 1.4X Extender
My Gallery (external link)

Salma
THREAD ­ STARTER
POTN is my life
3,822 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Oct 11, 2013 03:54 |  #130

jrbdmb wrote in post #16362149 (external link)
It doesn't matter what you are willing to do. If a buyer on eBay has an issue with something you sold him, they can open a case against you. If you refuse to refund, eBay *will* force you to refund and *may* let the buyer keep the item. A gigantic NO RETURNS in your listing makes no difference.

I you sell on eBay you gotta follow their rules. Perhaps eBay in the UK or Australia have different rules, but at least for the US anyone spouting "NO REFUNDS!" doesn't have a clue on how eBay works.

1. "No refunds!" Unless the items is listed in "broken/for parts" condition, the buyer can always get a refund if the item doesn't meet their expectations.
2. "Any damage in shipment is the buyer's responsibility." No, eBay will refund the buyer every time if the item is damaged in shipment. Shipping insurance is for the sellers protection, and should be included in the S/H for items of value.

Pardon me but that's the biggest load of bollocks i've heard. I don't know what US eBay is like but here in England if a buyer isn't happy with their purchase they have to prove (proof of dispatch) that they have returned the item back to the seller FIRST to receive a refund.

Can you explain to me please how PayPal or eBay can refund someone by force if the seller refuses to when the person hasn't even sent the item back.? So you're telling me it would've been possible that eBay refund him if he says 'the lens is too soft' and also let him keep my £800 lens? Are you serious? :lol:

Just to let you know. I have been selling on eBay for 6+ years. I know the in's and outs quite well which is why I tried my best to negotiate with this guy even if it took a couple quid out of my pocket. eBay DO NOT refund a buyer until they provide proof that they have returned the item back to the seller.

US eBay is crap then.xxxx

Salma
THREAD ­ STARTER
POTN is my life
3,822 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Oct 11, 2013 04:05 |  #131

jrbdmb wrote in post #16362149 (external link)

I you sell on eBay you gotta follow their rules. Perhaps eBay in the UK or Australia have different rules, but at least for the US anyone spouting "NO REFUNDS!" doesn't have a clue on how eBay works.

I'm going to send eBay an email and ask if this is true.

Salma
THREAD ­ STARTER
POTN is my life
3,822 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Oct 11, 2013 04:08 |  #132

elleana wrote in post #16361832 (external link)

Side note - 3mm DOF!!!

I did, he didn't reply :confused:

Salma
THREAD ­ STARTER
POTN is my life
3,822 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Oct 11, 2013 04:19 |  #133

jrbdmb wrote in post #16362138 (external link)
I know you've already taken care of this, but I want to point out that the above is ABSOLUTELY THE WRONG ADVICE!!!!!

For U.S. eBay, if the buyer opens a case and wants a refund, and the seller refuses, eBay will absolutely refund the buyer out of the seller's account and may allow the buyer to keep the lens!!

If the buyer wants a refund, immediately tell you will issue a full refund as soon as you receive the item back. Refusing to accept a return can be a *very* bad thing.

I've just read up on what you said. I would never ignore the buyers, that's just it if you show that you're trying to compromise or come up with a solution then eBay have no reason to butt in refund a buyer, besides I will never force a customer to keep an item if they aren't happy with it unless i've stated in my listing that it has faults and can't be refunded, so why would eBay let that buyer keep my lens and also refund him? It's not like I was ignoring him and not trying to help? In fact straight away I agreed and said fine send it back for a refund excluding postage.

I stated in my listing that you have two days from the date of delivery to ask for a refund. If I made that clear would paypal and ebay still refund him and let him keep my lens? Bloody absurd if that's the case.

Furlan
739 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Oct 11, 2013 07:22 |  #134

E-Bay will refund the buyer and let him keep the Item? In your dreams. If you are returning an Item
for refund from E-Bay in a dispute where E-Bay has ruled in the buyers favor the buyer must supply
E-Bay with a shipping tracking number and refund is made when Item shows to be delivered. If seller
agrees to refund without formal dispute up to buyer and seller to arrange return.

PitaDaVespa
82 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2009

Oct 11, 2013 09:02 |  #135

x2
At least, this is also my experience in ebay uk.

sponsored links

15,862 views & 0 likes for this thread
Sold the canon 50L and customer not happy..
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.