Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Birds 
Thread started 10 Oct 2013 (Thursday) 10:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Orange-crowned Warblers

CDMOOSE
Cream of the Crop
9,834 posts
Gallery: 130 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2009

Oct 10, 2013 10:29 |  #1

I have never seen this warbler on our property before yesterday. Their summer distribution is north of us, across Canada from coast-to-coast, and from Alaska down through the US Rocky Mountains. But I've only ever run into a couple. They look a lot like a fall Tennessee, but I see a lot of those and knew this was different. It took a bit of ID work to figure it out, however. One sure sign is that they sport yellow undertail coverts as opposed to the white of a Tennessee. It is said that their lack of identifying characteristics is, in fact, a clue to their identity. Also, the orange crown is seldom seen, even less frequently than the ruby-crowned kinglet.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Al
Canon 7D II, 5D III, 7D, 500mm/f4L II, 1.4X TC III, 24-70mm/f2.8L, 70-200/f4L IS

sponsored links
surgemaster
Goldmember
1,277 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 10, 2013 10:34 |  #2

I like your first one, Alan. We get these a lot and I've only seen the crown maybe three times.
Rex

ID ­ rocks
163 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Feb 2012

Oct 10, 2013 11:26 |  #3

Very nice. I have only seen two of these birds so have never been lucky enough to see the crown. I was lucky enough a few weeks ago to get a few nice photos of one and as you stated, the first thing I narrowed down from the Sibley's Book was they sport yellow undertail coverts and the eye-ring was broken with that tiny black spot.

Dan
Canon 7D II, 70D, T2i, Canon 500mm F4L, Tamron 150-600MM F/5-6.3 Di VC USD, Tamron AF 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 SP Di USD XLD, Canon Nifty Fifty, Tamron AF 17-50mm F/2.8 Non-VC
Flickr Page (external link)

CMOats
Goldmember
1,901 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Sep 2008

Oct 10, 2013 11:47 |  #4

What a beautiful little bird! Especially love that first one.. Gorgeous color..

Cheryl
Canon 5D Mark II, 1D Mark III, G12 & some cool lenses;)

2n10
Cream of the Crop
17,062 posts
Gallery: 79 photos
Joined Sep 2012

Oct 10, 2013 15:14 |  #5

Great shots. I got lucky and was able to take a series of shots of one a couple of weeks ago. I had a tough time IDing it also. Congrats

John
Equipment
My Portfolio (external link)

CDMOOSE
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
9,834 posts
Joined May 2009

Oct 11, 2013 07:41 |  #6

surgemaster wrote in post #16360481 (external link)
I like your first one, Alan. We get these a lot and I've only seen the crown maybe three times.
Rex

ID rocks wrote in post #16360596 (external link)
Very nice. I have only seen two of these birds so have never been lucky enough to see the crown. I was lucky enough a few weeks ago to get a few nice photos of one and as you stated, the first thing I narrowed down from the Sibley's Book was they sport yellow undertail coverts and the eye-ring was broken with that tiny black spot.

CMOats wrote in post #16360655 (external link)
What a beautiful little bird! Especially love that first one.. Gorgeous color..

2n10 wrote in post #16361136 (external link)
Great shots. I got lucky and was able to take a series of shots of one a couple of weeks ago. I had a tough time IDing it also. Congrats

Thank you all very kindly. I actually caught a glimpse of the orange in one I saw last spring, but it was very brief.
Al

Al
Canon 7D II, 5D III, 7D, 500mm/f4L II, 1.4X TC III, 24-70mm/f2.8L, 70-200/f4L IS

Don1
Cream of the Crop
6,410 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2006

Oct 11, 2013 18:08 |  #7

Well done Al. Must have been a challenge to get a focus in those needles.

Don
Canon 5D Mark III, Canon 7D, Canon 7D Mark II, Canon G9, EFS 15-85mm 3.5-5.6, EF 70-200mm F4 L IS, Canon EF 16-35mm f/4 L IS USM, EF 50mm F1.8 II, EF 40mm F2.8, Canon EF 300mm f/4 L IS USM
See my photos on My Flickr (external link)

CDMOOSE
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
9,834 posts
Joined May 2009

Oct 12, 2013 08:17 |  #8

Don1 wrote in post #16363992 (external link)
Well done Al. Must have been a challenge to get a focus in those needles.

Thanks, Don; it's always a challenge!
Al

Al

sponsored links

819 views & 0 likes for this thread
Orange-crowned Warblers
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Birds 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.