Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 12 Oct 2013 (Saturday) 03:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Retouching

vk2gwk
Cream of the Crop
12,701 posts
Gallery: 255 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Oct 12, 2013 03:25 |  #1

Last year while in The Hague I took an interesting shot: old and new buildings - rich of contrasting styles. The only thing was that there were electric tram wires all over the scene. I finally found the time (when I needed a shot of this beautiful city) to get rid of all the clutter. Please tell me if you can see - even with hindsight - the cloning and retouching.
Result (I am afraid the bird got lost as well):

IMAGE: http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5443/10199080743_5de6e9b172_b_d.jpg
Hofvijver on Flickr.IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/vk2gwk/10199080​743/  (external link)
and this is the original:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

My name is Henk. and I believe "It is all in the eye of the beholder....."
Image Editing is allowed. Please explain what you did!
5D MkIV 5DMkIII, 50D, 24-105/1:4L IS USM + 100-400/4-5.6L IS USM + 50mm 1.4 USM + Tamron 70-200mm F/2.8 VC + Sigma 150-600mm Sports + 580EXII + 430EX + YN568EXII, triggers, reflectors, umbrellas and some more bits and pieces...
Photos on: Flickr! (external link) and on my own web site. (external link)

sponsored links
Qbx
Goldmember
3,952 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 12, 2013 10:11 |  #2

The only thing I noticed that seemed out of place before I looked at the 2nd picture was the little horizontal line of small dark clouds above the building to the left of center, and a little blue patch above the blue domed building.
But overall I don't think anyone would notice.

-- Image Editing OK --

boufa
494 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Oct 12, 2013 10:31 as a reply to  @ Qbx's post |  #3

There was a (slightly) un-natural straight line in the clouds above the flag most to the left. Had I not known why, I might never have noticed it.

For me, I would never have taken the initial shot due to the all the clutter, except as a vacation snapshot. Shows that I might need to keep my options open. This image shows that you can get a keeper shot, even from a shot that many would not have even tried.

Canon EOS 7D & 40D | Σ 10-20mm Wigma | Σ 150-600mm | Σ 18-250mm Macro | Canon 18-135 STM | Canon 55-250 STM
Gallery/Website/Blog - TowPathPhoto (external link)
Social Media - - - on Flickr (external link) . . . on Twitter (external link)
Creator of @OhioBirdAlert (external link) on Twitter

tmoore323
Goldmember
1,945 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Oct 12, 2013 11:32 |  #4

Nice work! I would have got rid of that bit of tree coming in the left as well...

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
13,129 posts
Gallery: 198 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 12, 2013 12:27 as a reply to  @ tmoore323's post |  #5

I think I'd go for a bit darker look. That would make the scene more consistant with the clouds too.

After you've cloned out wires, be sure to go back and do a little more (I use the healing brush) but randomize the direction so you don't wind up with a lot of "horizontal clouds".

(To save time, I used your edited version as my starting point)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Gene - My Photo Gallery || (external link) My USS Oriskany website (external link) || My Flickr (external link)
Take nothing but photos - leave nothing but footprints - break nothing but silence - kill nothing but time.

vk2gwk
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
12,701 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Oct 12, 2013 17:19 |  #6

navydoc wrote in post #16365497 (external link)
I think I'd go for a bit darker look. That would make the scene more consistant with the clouds too.

After you've cloned out wires, be sure to go back and do a little more (I use the healing brush) but randomize the direction so you don't wind up with a lot of "horizontal clouds".

(To save time, I used your edited version as my starting point)

Thanks for the comments.

It wasn't that dark... :) there was even a little blue patch in the sky - what the Dutch call a "watery sun".

After I reviewed the shots of the day I threw this one out because of all the power lines spoiling the view. But - reviewing old shots - I thought the view so interesting with its architectural contrast that I decided to spend some time with the clone stamp and paint brush. Took me about an hour and I am not too happy with the sky. Could have done better in cloning some unaffected sky with a soft brush over the corrected parts.

5D MkIV 5DMkIII, 50D, 24-105/1:4L IS USM + 100-400/4-5.6L IS USM + 50mm 1.4 USM + Tamron 70-200mm F/2.8 VC + Sigma 150-600mm Sports + 580EXII + 430EX + YN568EXII, triggers, reflectors, umbrellas and some more bits and pieces...

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
I'm a bloody goody two-shoes!
18,088 posts
Gallery: 291 photos
Best ofs: 10
Joined Sep 2008

Oct 12, 2013 17:41 |  #7

The buildings look good, but the sky doesn't. Try duplicating the layer, move it in position so that clear sky is covering the wires, add a mask, invert that and then paint out the power lines. Then with a soft brush and low opacity blend the new bits of sky with the old.

Levina
Please quote when responding to a post!!!
There is no such thing as ect. It's etc. (with period) from latin et cetera.
Colours are not complimentary but complementary.
My flickr (external link)

nittaya
122 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Oct 13, 2013 02:29 |  #8

Levina de Ruijter wrote in post #16366053 (external link)
The buildings look good, but the sky doesn't. Try duplicating the layer, move it in position so that clear sky is covering the wires, add a mask, invert that and then paint out the power lines. Then with a soft brush and low opacity blend the new bits of sky with the old.

GOOD IDEA.

vk2gwk
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
12,701 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Oct 13, 2013 03:51 |  #9

Thanks Levina! I had the same sort of thing in mind - just mask another sky on top... I have done that several times in shots I shot for paying customers.... :)

Today I spent some time on another The Hague shot - that town is full of ugly tram power lines....
Both original (external link) and result (external link) are onFlickr (external link).

sponsored links

1,398 views & 0 likes for this thread
Retouching
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.