Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
Thread started 12 Oct 2013 (Saturday) 11:50
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Land Rover Event

weavedesigns
179 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Oct 12, 2013 11:50 |  #1

Hey all, I covered a Land Rover event a couple weeks ago and this is what came out of it. The client really enjoyed it but I wish I was able to get more footage of the featured car away from all the people, possibly on the beach :). Let me know what you think I love hearing feedback on things I could have done better to try at the next event, thanks!

This also was done with my newly built computer using DaVinci Resolve for the first time, still trying to fine tune color grading, but overall I'm satisfied with it.

https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=Irrqb456jxo (external link)

6D - T3i - 18-135 - 17-50 2.8 - 50 1.8 - 24-105L
Vimeo (external link)
Youtube (external link)

CAPhotog
334 posts
Joined May 2012

Oct 13, 2013 19:08 |  #2

Very nice footage and editing. I especially liked the beginning with numerous hints and vignettes before the guests arrived. The music was very dubstep which was cool for the intro and revealing the live statues. Piqued interest how you juxtaposed the traditional band instruments and oddly heightened tension. On the critical side, I was expecting something to happen, maybe with the statues or vehicle as you mentioned. The guests turned out to be typical Land Rover types rather than new or different. I know you did not invite them :). It would have been great if they were actors/models dressed to fit the mood and energy you created.

sspellman
Goldmember
1,731 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Oct 13, 2013 19:55 |  #3

This is generally very strong with a solid style that will please the client. The main improvement would be reducing the shaky shots where you refocus while hand held. These shots are way too rough compared to the smoothness of your other work. Without a follow focus on a monopod or tripod, changing focus is far too sloppy-like the first shot of the RR through the window at the front. Intro graphics with the event name and date would help keep non-attendees more interested in watching the whole video. I also find that an interview with the lead client executive to narrate the purpose of the event adds alot to a regular event video.

ScottSpellmanMedia.com [photography]

weavedesigns
THREAD ­ STARTER
179 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Oct 14, 2013 07:24 |  #4

CAPhotog wrote in post #16368470 (external link)
Very nice footage and editing. I especially liked the beginning with numerous hints and vignettes before the guests arrived. The music was very dubstep which was cool for the intro and revealing the live statues. Piqued interest how you juxtaposed the traditional band instruments and oddly heightened tension. On the critical side, I was expecting something to happen, maybe with the statues or vehicle as you mentioned. The guests turned out to be typical Land Rover types rather than new or different. I know you did not invite them :). It would have been great if they were actors/models dressed to fit the mood and energy you created.

sspellman wrote in post #16368558 (external link)
This is generally very strong with a solid style that will please the client. The main improvement would be reducing the shaky shots where you refocus while hand held. These shots are way too rough compared to the smoothness of your other work. Without a follow focus on a monopod or tripod, changing focus is far too sloppy-like the first shot of the RR through the window at the front. Intro graphics with the event name and date would help keep non-attendees more interested in watching the whole video. I also find that an interview with the lead client executive to narrate the purpose of the event adds alot to a regular event video.

Thanks for your comments. I agree with the follow focus, I do shoot on monopods/steadycams etc but it is tough to rack focus not having a fluid system like a follow focus. I know where my equipment fee is going towards for the next event :)

6D - T3i - 18-135 - 17-50 2.8 - 50 1.8 - 24-105L
Vimeo (external link)
Youtube (external link)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

743 views & 0 likes for this thread
Land Rover Event
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.