Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 11 Oct 2013 (Friday) 17:41
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon EOS 6d GPS

crunchie
116 posts
Joined Jun 2013

Oct 12, 2013 12:14 |  #16

Preeb wrote in post #16365021 (external link)
I'm on it with you. I have a Garmin E-Trex that is almost always with me. Push one button to create a waypoint, then name it whatever I want. I can always find the spot again, and I don't use camera battery for what I would consider unnecessary for photographic functions. 2 AA lithium batteries last for 20 hours when I leave it on, and a lot longer if I only turn in on to set a location. The one I have is $200 at Amazon - maybe not cheap, but it can be stuck in a pocket and used when I don't want to mess with the camera. It won't embed in the exif, but there are applications you can use to add it manually.

I guess it's all what's important to you. I think that half of the time people buy things to get features they will never use, just to be cool. ;)

When I'm travelling, carrying a body or 2 and several lenses, the last thing I want is yet another gadget. I don't have to push a button to create a waypoint - the camera does that for me. And for $200 I'd rather save towards some other camera gear.

I dare you to try it: you might be pleasantly surprised ;)

6D, 40D, EOS M, and various lenses

sponsored links
xarqi
Cream of the Crop
10,435 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Oct 12, 2013 16:07 as a reply to  @ crunchie's post |  #17

crunchie wrote in post #16364819 (external link)
I've used 6D's built-in GPS in the forests of London and in some forested mountain tops in Norway, with flash, without any trouble.

I'll persevere in that case. Maybe it just takes longer to lock on than I've been prepared to wait, although I have waited for 5 minutes or so.

Do we know if the 6D also accesses GLONASS satellites?

Lucy ­ Brown
303 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Oct 12, 2013 17:58 as a reply to  @ xarqi's post |  #18

To the OP. I'd get the 5d3 if money isn't an issue. I personally have no need for gps. I can see it being useful in some situations but for the majority of the photo ops we come across I'd say its not necessary. I find it hard believe that you would capture an image and couple of years later look at it and not remember where it was or how to get back there.

w00tabulous!
THREAD ­ STARTER
199 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Oct 13, 2013 11:19 |  #19

I just ordered the 5d3 + 24-105mm, a b+w uv filer, b+w cpl filter and 32gb sandisk extreme pro. It's coming in tuesday :D
Too bad i'm now bankrupt lol.

I only wanted the GPS thing, not for me, but for others, to show them exactly where my images have been captured.
Also, when making a trip/holiday i like the route tracking thing the GP-E2 contains.
I think i will order this module in a few months from now, because now, i just can't ;)

flickr (external link) | w00tabulous! photography (external link) | facebook page (external link)

gfspencer
179 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 13, 2013 12:11 |  #20

YashicaFX2 wrote in post #16364515 (external link)
I must be old-fashioned. Can someone tell me of what use is GPS on a camera? Don't you generally know where you are when you are taking photos? I mean, has it ever happened that you came home with shots of the Eiffel Tower when you just know you were in Houston that day? Of course, I am still trying to figure out the purpose of Facebook, Twitter and for the most part cell phones in general.

My wife and I were in Germany for 8 days on a river cruise. We visited quite a few different places and after a while all the castles look alike. In the process I took 750 pictures. A week or so later it is nice to look at the picture, check the GPS information and know exactly where I was when I took the picture.

Canon 50D - Canon 7DII - Canon 6D - 16-35mm f/2.8L - 24-105mm f/4[COLOR="red"]L IS - 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS - 50mm f/1.2L - 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 DO IS - 100-400mm II f/4.5-5.6L IS - Extender EF 2x

gfspencer
179 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 13, 2013 12:13 |  #21

Charlie wrote in post #16364025 (external link)
the gps implementation seems half assed. it doesnt turn off when the camera is off, and there is no option for it. I would like to use it, but too much of a hassle.

It takes less than 15 seconds to turn the GPS off. Not much of a hassle as far as I'm concerned.

Canon 50D - Canon 7DII - Canon 6D - 16-35mm f/2.8L - 24-105mm f/4[COLOR="red"]L IS - 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS - 50mm f/1.2L - 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 DO IS - 100-400mm II f/4.5-5.6L IS - Extender EF 2x

captainkanji
119 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Oct 13, 2013 13:31 |  #22

I like the GPS function of the 6D, but if it made the camera $100 cheaper, I could do without it. It's there and I always use it if I'm outdoors. I hasn't affected my battery life very much, but I shoot with a grip. If I forget to turn off the wifi, that plus gps will drain the battery fast. I like it, but it isn't the reason I purchased it. Mainly it was because it was 1,500 cheaper than the 5d3 at the time.

Canon 6D, EF 135f/2L USM, EF 200mm f/2.8 II USM, EF 50mm f\1.4 USM, EF 40mm f\2.8 STM, 430exII speedlite, Flashbender.

Sin ­ City ­ Stan
99 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Oct 13, 2013 18:13 |  #23

The GPS on my 6D works just fine. I did a test about a month ago. I left the camera turned off for a week with a fully charged battery and the GPS on. When I checked 6 1/2 days later I still had 75% of the battery left. So really, the load imposed on the battery by the GPS is minimal. I just leave it on.

Sin City Stan
Canon 6D & 5D3 EF24-70L 2.8 EF17-40L 4.0 EF70-300L 4.0 EF50 1.8
Yongnuo YN-560 II, 565 EX & Canon 430 EX
http://creationsbysinc​itystan.smugmug.com/ (external link)

Preeb
Goldmember
2,600 posts
Gallery: 102 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2011

Oct 13, 2013 21:53 |  #24

crunchie wrote in post #16365470 (external link)
When I'm travelling, carrying a body or 2 and several lenses, the last thing I want is yet another gadget. I don't have to push a button to create a waypoint - the camera does that for me. And for $200 I'd rather save towards some other camera gear.

I dare you to try it: you might be pleasantly surprised ;)

What? Spend a couple thousand for a new body so it can do what my $200 E-Trex does? My sig shows that I have a 60D right now - no GPS. I'm not about to buy a new body when I'm perfectly happy with what I have.

Rick
6D Mark II - EF 17-40 f4 L -- EF 100mm f2.8 L IS Macro -- EF 70-200 f4 L IS w/1.4 II TC

jemanner
625 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Oct 13, 2013 22:18 |  #25

YashicaFX2 wrote in post #16364515 (external link)
I must be old-fashioned. Can someone tell me of what use is GPS on a camera? Don't you generally know where you are when you are taking photos? I mean, has it ever happened that you came home with shots of the Eiffel Tower when you just know you were in Houston that day? Of course, I am still trying to figure out the purpose of Facebook, Twitter and for the most part cell phones in general.

Don't have a camera with GPS as yet, but anxiously anticipating one soon. I shoot a lot of ghost towns, cemeteries, mines, and the like well off the beaten path. GPS information embedded with the images is invaluable. We have a grandaughter trekking around Spain on a church calling, sending back frequent SD cards. Again, GPS information makes it very exciting to share her adventures with the Lightroom map feature.

Jim

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
12,113 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 14, 2013 01:26 as a reply to  @ jemanner's post |  #26

I've used GPS for immediate geotagging of images with my 7D (Garmin GPSMap 60 CSx connected by cable or wayfinder GPS puck connected with Bluetooth via Kensington BT adapter or GP-E2 in hotshoe, but connected via cable) and with my 1DX (GP-E2 with direct connection through hotshoe or GP-E1 in system terminal).

The one I like best is the GP-E1 in the 1DX. It's just like having it built-in. The power consumption from the large LP-E4N battery isn't anything I have any problems with.

I've found that it doesn't take long for me to not know exactly where I took a certain picture, especially when there's no evident detail (like the Eifel Tower) in the frame. So geotagging is very good. The other advantage is that you can search for images taken within a certain area, at different occasions. It just takes the appropriate software.

Anders

crunchie
116 posts
Joined Jun 2013

Oct 14, 2013 02:32 |  #27

Preeb wrote in post #16368776 (external link)
What? Spend a couple thousand for a new body so it can do what my $200 E-Trex does? My sig shows that I have a 60D right now - no GPS. I'm not about to buy a new body when I'm perfectly happy with what I have.

Fair point :lol: I admit I didn't look at your sig!

In my case, I was buying a new body anyway.

6D, 40D, EOS M, and various lenses

Bean77
48 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Oct 14, 2013 02:57 |  #28

Sin City Stan wrote in post #16368347 (external link)
The GPS on my 6D works just fine. I did a test about a month ago. I left the camera turned off for a week with a fully charged battery and the GPS on. When I checked 6 1/2 days later I still had 75% of the battery left. So really, the load imposed on the battery by the GPS is minimal. I just leave it on.

this ^^
And also GPS need some time to find his location. So if you put everytime your camera on and off, you might miss some GPS information at quick shots when you just turned your camera on.

Need to say im gripped, so I have no problem leaving GPS on until im finished using my 6D.

Sony a7rII, 18mm Batis, 25mm Batis, Voitglander Nocton 40mm f/1.2, 50mm Loxia, 85mm Batis & 135mm Batis
My Gear
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

4,227 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon EOS 6d GPS
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.