Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 28 Jul 2006 (Friday) 11:41
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Post the most ridiculous comments you've received with a big lens on!

this thread is locked
advaitin
Goldmember
4,620 posts
Gallery: 432 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jun 2003

Oct 11, 2013 09:55 |  #9991

hairy_moth wrote in post #16358872 (external link)
You might get harassed, but if you stand your ground, you cannot get convicted for taking pictures of children in a public park. State and local statutes must respect all of the legal rights that are owed to a person. The Due Process Clause of the Fourteenth amendment serves as the means whereby the Bill of Rights has become binding on state and local governments as well as on the federal government. Just because a town passes an ordinance, doesn't mean it will stand in court.

You may get the cr4p beat out of you by a father and the local authorities may look away, or they may trump up other charges like disorderly conduct, or make touble for you in any number of ways; but a court will not convict you for taking pictures in a park. If you start taking lascivious shots of children, that's another matter.

Again, though, I will say, just because you can does not mean you should; there are also no laws against passing gas in a crowded elevator -- but we all know you shouldn't do it anyway.

To continue on this subject. It's rare, but it happens, even if you are at a public event wearing a Domke vest, carrying two cameras, one with long lens and monopod. "Why are you here? Who do you work for? Why are you photographing these little girls? I don't want you taking pictures of my daughter!"

For that woman, my reply was simple. "They are my granddaughters."

But I also had been shooting record shots of the girl's dance presentation at a show that had many studios showing off their skills. Her daughter was actually in the same school, but different level than my grandgirls and I told her that all photos went to the teacher to do with as she wished, so she should ask her about what the photos were used for.

In the US, there are few restrictions on what you can shoot in a public place, unless you are a wierdo shooting up skirts, of course--a local guy is in jail for doing that twice, now, at Target where he was arrested, and a week later at Walmart after being released on bond. Little girl's dresses, too. So, hopefully, they won't bond him out this time.

In Europe they have new, stricter laws regarding one's right to their own image. And people are very aware of it. Children love to climb on the statue of Peter Pan in London's Kensington Park, for instance. When I was there I was very careful to ask permission of the parents before taking a photo of the scene.
Farther on I came across the Hyde Park memorial to Princess Diana and gave up entirely on doing any shots. Too many children, too little clothing and no way to tell which were parents among the many people standing around.

Canons to the left, Canons to the right,
We hold our L glass toward the light,
Digitizing in a snap reflective glory
That will forever tell our imaged story.

sponsored links
WMS
"Escargot on the Hoof"
2,884 posts
Joined Nov 2006
Location: California, the land of the politicaly corrupt and innept

Oct 12, 2013 19:07 |  #9992

advaitin wrote in post #16362886 (external link)

In Europe they have new, stricter laws regarding one's right to their own image. And people are very aware of it. Children love to climb on the statue of Peter Pan in London's Kensington Park, for instance. When I was there I was very careful to ask permission of the parents before taking a photo of the scene.
Farther on I came across the Hyde Park memorial to Princess Diana and gave up entirely on doing any shots. Too many children, too little clothing and no way to tell which were parents among the many people standing around.

In many ways that is a shame that various legislatures have come to the opinion that any photograph of a child is putting the child at risk.

I'm just a simple maker of love charms and tokens,who occasionally takes a picture or two.
Gear list: more toys than I need, Fewer than I want.

Keyan
Cream of the Crop
5,319 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Oct 12, 2013 20:42 as a reply to  @ WMS's post |  #9993

When I am out in public in a crowd I often have the 17-55 on which isn't that obvious..in my area Rebels are really common so a DSLR doesn't make people weirded out generally..and the 70D, while no SL1, is not a big gripped full frame either. Today we went to a pumpkin patch and there were at least 10 DSLRs running around in the group we were with, interestingly almost all Canon, I think I saw one Nikon.

If I am out using it and especially if I have the 70-300L on I take care not to take pics of people I don't know or their kids..it may be technically legal, but we live in a crazy world full of freaks and I just don't want people feeling awkward.. I know how I would feel if someone I didn't know was tracking my kid with a big white lens. If it is a large crowd at a public event then whatever, people will be in the frame.

Cameras: 7D2, S100
Lenses: 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM, 18-135 STM, 24-70 f/4L IS USM, 50 f/1.4 USM,70-300L IS USM
Other Stuff: 430 EX II, Luma Labs Loop 3, CamRanger

Master ­ of ­ Defenestration
Goldmember
1,307 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2011

Oct 12, 2013 23:18 |  #9994

I have very strict rules about this. I don't take pictures of other peoples kids.

Mainly because I don't want pictures of other people's kids.

5D | Full tank of gas | Box of rocks
Facebook (external link)

Keyan
Cream of the Crop
5,319 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Oct 13, 2013 09:20 |  #9995

Master of Defenestration wrote in post #16366738 (external link)
I have very strict rules about this. I don't take pictures of other peoples kids.

Mainly because I don't want pictures of other people's kids.

Ha, yes, this too.

Cameras: 7D2, S100
Lenses: 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM, 18-135 STM, 24-70 f/4L IS USM, 50 f/1.4 USM,70-300L IS USM
Other Stuff: 430 EX II, Luma Labs Loop 3, CamRanger

V4her
484 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2012

Oct 13, 2013 10:06 as a reply to  @ Keyan's post |  #9996

Shooting hs soccer match with 400 2.8. A parent with a canon camera walks behind me and says, I'm using a Canon can I borrow your lens :rolleyes:

Canine Sports and Pet Photography:
Flash of Paw (external link)

rndman
961 posts
Gallery: 57 photos
Joined Apr 2008

Oct 13, 2013 12:37 |  #9997

V4her wrote in post #16367413 (external link)
Shooting hs soccer match with 400 2.8. A parent with a canon camera walks behind me and says, I'm using a Canon can I borrow your lens :rolleyes:

Unbelievable...
And what he had a rebel with 18-55 kit?

Flickr (external link)

Big ­ Bull
130 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Oct 13, 2013 12:54 |  #9998

rndman wrote in post #16367702 (external link)
Unbelievable...
And what he had a rebel with 18-55 kit?

... and a $12,000 cash deposit?

ninjapeps
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Oct 2013

Oct 13, 2013 20:57 |  #9999

This was a few years ago during the reception of my cousin's wedding. They had a photo booth set up in one of the rooms and my family wanted a shot there before we went home. I wanted my own copies of the pictures so I handed over my camera (a 1000D with a 24-105, if memory serves) to the photog. After the pictures were taken, the photog hands me back my camera and apologizes for the severely underexposed pictures because the camera was in the "dark" setting. I had no idea what they meant.

When I checked the camera, the settings were the same as when I had my flash attached, despite them only using ambient lighting. Turns out they didn't know how to change aperture or shutter speed.

RandyMN
Goldmember
3,131 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Oct 13, 2013 21:03 |  #10000

ninjapeps wrote in post #16368681 (external link)
This was a few years ago during the reception of my cousin's wedding. They had a photo booth set up in one of the rooms and my family wanted a shot there before we went home. I wanted my own copies of the pictures so I handed over my camera (a 1000D with a 24-105, if memory serves) to the photog. After the pictures were taken, the photog hands me back my camera and apologizes for the severely underexposed pictures because the camera was in the "dark" setting. I had no idea what they meant.

When I checked the camera, the settings were the same as when I had my flash attached, despite them only using ambient lighting. Turns out they didn't know how to change aperture or shutter speed.

I never touch settings of someone else's camera! You want me to snap a shot for you then make sure the camera is ready for it! In fact, if I am working I will generally have two of my own camera's and will volunteer another bystander.

Fitness ­ Freak
812 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Oct 13, 2013 21:17 |  #10001

With my 70-200 on my camera, "Mom, do you REALLY have to bring that lens? It's embarrassing".
Another time, I was out hiking with four men, two were fellow photographers, one had a little p&s he used for his blog, and the fourth was our guide. I had just bought my 70-200 and as we were hiking down a steep rock face, I informed these "gentlemen" that if I started to slip, I wanted them to not worry about me-but to catch my camera. They all assured me that they would-just a little too quickly as they argued the rest of the hike down over who would get my camera should anything happen to me.

FYI: "Fitness Freak" is also known as "Amber" outside of POTN.
http://fineartamerica.​com/profiles/1-amber-kresge.html (external link)

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

Oct 14, 2013 01:33 |  #10002

ninjapeps wrote in post #16368681 (external link)

I always dial in the settings I want before handing over a camera.

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

gkuenning
Goldmember
1,471 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2005

Oct 14, 2013 03:22 |  #10003

advaitin wrote in post #16362886 (external link)
"Why are you here? Who do you work for? Why are you photographing these little girls? I don't want you taking pictures of my daughter!"

"Not to worry, your kids are too ugly to be worth photographing."

(I've never said it, but I've thought it.)

Geoff
All I want is a 10-2000 f/0.5L with no distortion that weighs 100 grams, fits in my pocket, and costs $300. Is that too much to ask?

digirebelva
Goldmember
3,983 posts
Gallery: 370 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Oct 14, 2013 06:59 |  #10004

gkuenning wrote in post #16369243 (external link)
"Not to worry, your kids are too ugly to be worth photographing."

(I've never said it, but I've thought it.)

Maybe I have been super lucky, but everytime I have taken my daughter to the playground and brought my 70-200, I have never been accosted by over protective parents while photographing her...mind you, I am not a helicopter parent that stays within 5' of my child, so at a casual glance, unless you were watching, you would not necessarily know I was there with a child..and or which one was mine..;)

EOS 6d, 7dMKII, Tokina 11-16, Tokina 16-28, Sigma 70-200mm F/2.8, Sigma 17-50 F/2.8, Canon 24-70mm F/2.8L, Canon 70-200 F/2.8L, Mixed Speedlites and other stuff.

When it ceases to be fun, it will be time to walk away
Website (external link) | Fine Art America (external link)

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Oct 14, 2013 07:27 |  #10005

Continues here.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

sponsored links

1,718,176 views & 0 likes for this thread
Post the most ridiculous comments you've received with a big lens on!
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.