Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 13 Oct 2013 (Sunday) 17:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New to RAW help me some :)

xarik
Goldmember
1,787 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Sep 2013

Oct 13, 2013 17:45 |  #1

Hey all,

I'm pretty new to RAW files and doing it for portraits. I just shot a bunch of photos in RAW+L because my laptop doesn't view RAW files as pictures so I needed the JPG to see the photo, I hope this is normal :P

I'm wondering, is it possible that you do all of your editing in RAW for the most part? I'm pleased with almost all of the editing in RAW except I like to whiten the teeth, put vibrance to the hair and add contrast between my subject in the background, but I do that all after my RAW process.

Let me know if this is what you guys do just for quicker ediitng :)

Bodies: Canon 5D3 - Canon 1D4
Lenses: Sigma 120-300mm F2.8 DG OS HSM SPORTS - Canon 100mm F2.8 L - Canon 70-200mm F2.8 L - - Canon 85mm F1.2 L V2 - Canon 40mm F2.8 Pancake
Extras: 2 Neewer TT520 Speedlites - Manfrotto 3021BPRO and ballhead

Check out my Flickr (external link)!

sponsored links
xarik
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,787 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Oct 13, 2013 17:45 |  #2

Oh and spot correction I do after finishing RAW

Lenses: Sigma 120-300mm F2.8 DG OS HSM SPORTS - Canon 100mm F2.8 L - Canon 70-200mm F2.8 L - - Canon 85mm F1.2 L V2 - Canon 40mm F2.8 Pancake

PH68
599 posts
Joined Jun 2013

Oct 13, 2013 17:59 |  #3

I only shoot RAW, with nothing else done "in camera".
The files go straight to the PC via Lightroom
I do all editing in LR.
If needed I then use the LR edits of the RAW files in Photoshop... Mostly for HDRs, stitch panoramas etc.

I only save to jpg or tiff if I need the resultant image emailed, published on the web, or be sent for printing etc..

Fuji XE1 ~ XF18 ~ XF27 ~ XF60 ~ XC50-230

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,483 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Oct 13, 2013 19:00 |  #4

You didn't say what Raw converter you use. If you use DPP, then yes, it's normal to go to a second editor. If however, you use a more comprehensive program like LR, ACR, C1, Aperture, etc., you can do those additional tasks like spotting/healing or brush work on teeth, eyes and hair directly in the Raw converter.

Elie / אלי

PicBug
644 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Aug 2008

Oct 13, 2013 19:02 |  #5

What do you mean "after my RAW process"? What program do you use for editing?

You can do all the things you mentioned with the RAW file in LR.

I do everything on the RAW file (I NEVER shoot jpgs anymore - blech!) in LR5 (I don't use photoshop - yet)

I found this little tutorial for LR5 that show some presets you can create that are a nice place to start from for portraits. It also shows settings for making some preset brushes for the eyes, lips, and hair, etc. I use basic presets whenever I can for quicker editing, and found these in the tutorial very nice.

http://digital-photography-school.com …ch-portraits-in-lightroom (external link)

my little gallery (external link)
FaceBook Page (external link)
Diamond Willow Photography Website (external link)
Canon 6D,Tamron 70-300 4-5.6 DiVC, Canon 50mm 1.4, Canon 135L, Sigma 85 1.4 EX DG HSM, Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM, 430EX II, Sigma 24-70 2.8, LR5 Editing

xarik
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,787 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Oct 13, 2013 19:06 |  #6

I am using PS CS5 for all of my editing currently. I have been looking into LR just because of it's abilities to view RAW much easier. My files are getting massive shooting in RAW though and I really can't keep them very long :/ but yeh I'm on PS CS5 and do some major color changing on the raw and then specify what I am doing afterwards. It's difficult for me to determine if the image is good due to having two different monitors that show different colors -.- (They are calibrated properly but still don't represent images similarly)....I'll have to look into those presets so I can try to make some because it's a hassle going one by one at the moment :P

PicBug
644 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Aug 2008

Oct 13, 2013 19:14 |  #7

Ok, with "PS CS5" I'm out lol! I don't "do" photoshop because the thing intimidates me. I'm taking a class next month on it tho - so I may be able to "speak" with you soon about it lol! From what little I do know - I believe LR is easier and more convenient to use than photoshop in many ways. Presets do make life even easier!

my little gallery (external link)
FaceBook Page (external link)
Diamond Willow Photography Website (external link)
Canon 6D,Tamron 70-300 4-5.6 DiVC, Canon 50mm 1.4, Canon 135L, Sigma 85 1.4 EX DG HSM, Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM, 430EX II, Sigma 24-70 2.8, LR5 Editing

xarik
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,787 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Oct 13, 2013 19:22 |  #8

Yeh I've never taken a course or anything on photoshop, it's just whatever I've youtubed and whatever I've learned by experience. Really not the easiest tool but no the hardest in my mind either :P I have LR on a desktop at home but I really only used it once or twice

D ­ Thompson
Goldmember
3,882 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Oct 13, 2013 20:06 |  #9

xarik wrote in post #16368460 (external link)
I am using PS CS5 for all of my editing currently. I have been looking into LR just because of it's abilities to view RAW much easier.

What's so difficult about viewing the RAW files in Bridge? You can also apply changes in ACR to multiple images very easily.

Dennis
Canon 5D 20D
I have not yet begun to procrastinate!

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Oct 14, 2013 00:41 |  #10

When the Raw format got introduced, and then apps like Adobe Camera Raw came out to support the format, and then Lightroom and other apps came out, the Raw workflow boiled down to doing basic color and tone work then send the photo to your editor (Photoshop, Photoshop Elements, etc).

Over the years things have changed significantly as Raw processors have significantly improved their capabilities...

For portrait shooters and retouchers, this has taken time to adjust to. So, it's only been relatively recently that we've seen many "pro" portrait shooters/retouchers to stand up and say "I only use" (fill in your Raw app) for my portrait processing, and it's great!

Lightroom and Adobe Camera Raw made great strides in this area when they introduced "local adjustment brushes", including some designed specifically for portraits and also for many other uses.

However, many people still have the workflow that the OP describes, do basic Raw adjustments and then hop into your editor of choice. It's really personal choice, although more and more people are enjoying the Raw workflow!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

xarik
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,787 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Oct 14, 2013 00:52 |  #11

Well without LR for right now, I'm forced to use either a JPG or do it the way that I've gone about it :P. Obviously I would like my photos to look professional but this is difficult with my cruddy monitors and my bad eye for editing ;P

idk how to bridge and idk what ACR is either ;P...here's some images that I recently edited and posted in another thread

SORRY THESE ARE REPOSTED IN ANOTHER THREAD

IMAGE: http://i43.tinypic.com/s2smm1.jpg

IMAGE: http://i44.tinypic.com/2gud4qf.jpg

IMAGE: http://i44.tinypic.com/24pf8rs.jpg

IMAGE: http://i39.tinypic.com/2vc6kad.jpg

IMAGE: http://i40.tinypic.com/k50tbb.jpg

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Oct 14, 2013 01:33 |  #12

ACR is the Raw processor that comes with Photoshop. Bridge is the "front end" for Photoshop, you browse and open files via Bridge.

You say you have been working on Raw files in Photoshop, well, to do that you open them in ACR (Adobe Camera Raw). You can do that through Bridge or, I believe, through your file browser.

As to doing the portrait "re-touching" in the CS5 Raw converter (ACR) you can do that with "local adjustment brushes" if you wish. Take some time to learn your software!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Nightstalker
Goldmember
1,666 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Oct 14, 2013 02:32 |  #13

This may not be the reason for the thread but as you mention "crappy" monitors I think it is worth mentioning that on my system the images look to have a very strong yellow cast to them and appear to be somewhat under exposed (the last 2 especially) where I can see very little detail in the dark clothing.

You may benefit from doing some colour calibration on your monitors.

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,422 posts
Gallery: 217 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Jan 2010

Oct 14, 2013 02:48 |  #14

First, if you have PS CS5, you should have Adobe Camera Raw and likely Bridge as well. You can view raw files in Bridge and then move them to ACR for editing. From ACR you can send them to Ps for finishing.
Adobe Camera Raw is the raw processing engine from adobe that comes with Ps. It is the same processing engine that is the backbone of Lr.

Second, you keep saying that your monitors are calibrated properly, but I don't recall seeing you mention what calibration device you are using to calibrate with. You can't do it by eye. You can't let the computer "automatically" calibrate, and you can't rely on canned profiles. Looking at the images you've posted, I'd say you really need to get your hands on a calibration device (Spyder, iDisplay, etc) sooner rather than later.

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

nittaya
122 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Oct 14, 2013 03:12 |  #15

it is very normal for many of us to have compo of LR and photoshop CS4 or 5 or 6. usual practice is whether we shoot raw or jepg is to open in Lr. do some basic adjustments in Lr. And if need be to do further enhancement in photoshop. i use lr for 5% editing but it is a must for me as i feel very uncomfortable without it. remaining 95% enhancement i do in photoshop. so for me both are very important. if you are serius in photography i think you should have Lr . but remember what ever you can do in lr you can do it anyother raw converter including adobe camera raw. only thing is lightroom makes life very easy for us that is why many people use it.

it is better to shoot raw. as you can adjust the white balance easily in post processing (as it becomes irrelevent what white balance,contrasts, saturation you choose in camera menue). in jepg format sometimes especially when weather is overcast , in case you get wrong white balance in camera you will have problem fixing it in post processing. too many raw files is no problem nowadays you can store them in "MY PASSPORT 1TB EXTERNAL HARD DRIVES" These hard drives are small and very affordable.

i do not know if lr5 can do batch processing or not . i have very old version lr3. there is one another raw converter "phase one's capture one pro 6" it can do that . that is to say you can make adjustment such as white balance, saturaion, contrast etc and apply them to a batch of pictures (raw/jepg). but this raw converter is very expensive. it is popular
with those who do portrait photography. i have used it as well but i feel the difference between the quality whether you use lr or dxo etc is so little that (unless one is pixel peep)
is not worth bothering about.

sponsored links

3,315 views & 0 likes for this thread
New to RAW help me some :)
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.